PDA

View Full Version : Game Issued NFL Jersey Tagging Question. HELP!

panthrotc
10-01-2009, 10:39 PM
hey guys. i recently bid on a Ray Lewis signed NFL jersey on NFL.com

The titel said " Ray Lewis signed Authentic Jersey"

after looking at the picture of the jersey on the auction site i noticed something on the inner coller, that was almost covered by the Certificate of Authenticity. I looked at other jerseys being offered and if they were game issused they were clearly stated. Also the arm holes looked Game Issused cut. I won the jersey. I just got it a few minutes ago in the mail. They screwed up. This was a game issued jersey. Not the typical signed authentic jersey they mostly offer. The bottom is obviously long. I have a question about the tagging. What does it mean?

it read 08-50? I know 50 is the size, but does 08 stand for 08?
Experts please help. Thanks. Here are the pics.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Ray%20Lewis/lewis001-1.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Ray%20Lewis/lewis002-1.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Ray%20Lewis/lewis003-1.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Ray%20Lewis/lewis004-1.jpg

Tay1038
10-02-2009, 12:16 AM
No expert here, but that would be the year code.

TriplexXxSports
10-02-2009, 06:43 AM
No expert here, but that would be the year code.

Yes, 08 is the year code.

mvandor
10-02-2009, 08:23 AM
For the record, you have a pro-cut jersey. It's not really "game issued" (identical to the players on-field jersey) in 99% of cases.

The stuff NFL Auctions hawks these days (I have purchased several and still own a Rivers) are frequently a different size than the player's actual locker room jerseys, and often lack the proper sleeves or other customizations distinct to the player. Further, I believe players sign numbers and THEN they're sewn on the jersey so the stitching patterns are different as I recall.

Other than that they're basically the same. I've compared the Chargers ones I've owned to a game worn one I purchased and the customizations and stitching patterns were the only discernible difference. I had owned an LT that if I'd had the tail hemmed woulda been pretty much spot on and a great fraud candidate. My Rivers has the tight sleeves, not the open cutoffs he actually wears.

Had an exchange with NFL Auctions staff some time back and thought I'd convinced them to start referring to these as "pro-cuts", as "authentics" generally refer to retail top of the line jerseys. But they never followed through.

TriplexXxSports
10-02-2009, 08:56 AM
....I believe players sign numbers and THEN they're sewn on the jersey so the stitching patterns are different as I recall.

A little off topic, but do you, or anyone else, know where or who stitches these numbers on the blank jerseys? Is it the team, Ripon, or some little old lady down the street from the auction center?

Since the NFL Auction 'Authentics' are spot on to gamers, minus the individual player characteristics, I was curious to know. Whoever it is has to know exact placement details, etc.

Insight anyone?

mvandor
10-02-2009, 11:43 AM
A little off topic, but do you, or anyone else, know where or who stitches these numbers on the blank jerseys? Is it the team, Ripon, or some little old lady down the street from the auction center?

Since the NFL Auction 'Authentics' are spot on to gamers, minus the individual player characteristics, I was curious to know. Whoever it is has to know exact placement details, etc.

Insight anyone?

I've only followed Chargers jerseys, and while I do not know who sews on the numbers, I've seen pics by other members showing players signing just digits, so that's why I said that I suspect that's the process.

Plus, at least the Chargers jerseys, are very sloppily done. For example, the pro-cuts from NFL Auctions can't get half the NOB's CLOSE to centered, I've even returned one it was so far off, and not even horizontally straight.

I just compared the stitching and while similar, the pro-cut stitching on the diigits is very slightly different, but not SO different you could say it was done by a different company or person. I've been told by NFL Auctions they get the jerseys "as pictured" from the team, so it's not from their end. Very possible the same people do the NOB and numbers that do the game jerseys, they're just quick and sloppy about the ones they know won't get on the field.

TriplexXxSports
10-02-2009, 03:21 PM
I've only followed Chargers jerseys, and while I do not know who sews on the numbers, I've seen pics by other members showing players signing just digits, so that's why I said that I suspect that's the process.

Plus, at least the Chargers jerseys, are very sloppily done. For example, the pro-cuts from NFL Auctions can't get half the NOB's CLOSE to centered, I've even returned one it was so far off, and not even horizontally straight.

I just compared the stitching and while similar, the pro-cut stitching on the diigits is very slightly different, but not SO different you could say it was done by a different company or person. I've been told by NFL Auctions they get the jerseys "as pictured" from the team, so it's not from their end. Very possible the same people do the NOB and numbers that do the game jerseys, they're just quick and sloppy about the ones they know won't get on the field.

Makes sense. Thanks. I have seen a couple of Bears NFL Auctions jerseys, and they were done pretty well (as far as stitching, NOB & letter/number placement, etc.) I have never physically inspected any others so I cannot intelligently comment on the quality of the other teams.

In regards to your earlier comment about the numbers, I have seen quite a few lots in various Auction Houses that have multiple numbers signed, and they all came with NFL Auctions COA.

I think you are correct in saying that alot of those are blanks that are fitted with pre-signed numbers and then sold as a whole.