PDA

View Full Version : Skyking-this Thread's For You!!!=kingman

jobathenut
10-02-2009, 10:25 PM
I just read in the local newspaper (star tribune) the top# 10 metrodome moments for twins baseball.And i had to laugh and thought right away of forum member bob (skyking).Because #7 happen on may 4th 1984.So any guesses? I bet bob knows.As #7 is-(drum roll please.......) dave kingman.And his roof shot at the dome.The ball did'nt just hit the top of it,it actually went threw a hole in it and stayed up there.So bob enjoy,Your man made the twins top #10 moments in thier stadium.:)

skyking26
10-03-2009, 01:03 AM
I just read in the local newspaper (star tribune) the top# 10 metrodome moments for twins baseball.And i had to laugh and thought right away of forum member bob (skyking).Because #7 happen on may 4th 1984.So any guesses? I bet bob knows.As #7 is-(drum roll please.......) dave kingman.And his roof shot at the dome.The ball did'nt just hit the top of it,it actually went threw a hole in it and stayed up there.So bob enjoy,Your man made the twins top #10 moments in thier stadium.:)
Ahhhh..................now that is funny that made the top 10!!! I remember the event well. '84 was quite a year for the big guy. He got a little under that pitch. :eek:

2000mvpfan
10-03-2009, 09:33 AM
How funny would it be if that ball popped out of there as they're dismantling the dome?
Bob,it might be time to make some Metrodome construction crew contacts!!

Joe

skyking26
10-03-2009, 01:33 PM
How funny would it be if that ball popped out of there as they're dismantling the dome?

Joe
True Joe, I don't think they ever found the ball. That would be funny if they did after all these years.

jobathenut
10-03-2009, 09:15 PM
I am really surprised that skyking(bob) does not have that ball already.I assummed you did.As i can picture you scaling up to the domes roof and getting it.But anyway,i think the ball did come down as i thought i heard a few games after that during a game it fell to the field.What surprises me is that it said that kingman played 16 season and hit 442 homes runs.I guess i always thought he hit over 500 home runs.And on a side note,i was at the dome watching the twins play the a's.And saw something that really impressed me and that was jose cansaco hit the roof once above 2nd base.So i guess that had to be just like when kingman did it.Wow that is some power to be able to do that.I wondered when i saw cansaco do that if the twins still had a normal stadium (as with kingmans hit ) would they have been a home run.But i always wondered what happen to the kingman ball.Bob,give it up,i know you have it,let's see it.:)

jobathenut
10-03-2009, 09:25 PM
2000mvpfan(joe)-I hate to correct you but the dome isnt going to dismantled any time soon.As the vikings are still going to be playing there.It's funny as alot of people here in minnesota actually think that it's the last game at the dome ever.Alot of my friends are saying that,and they will talk about i wonder if people will steal seats and everything that goes with the antics of fans at a stadiums last game.And i tell them,no it's just thelast twins game there.And so i hate to dissapoint the vandels but the vikings are going to need those seats.:)

Joe

skyking26
10-03-2009, 10:11 PM
I am really surprised that skyking(bob) does not have that ball already.I assummed you did.As i can picture you scaling up to the domes roof and getting it.But anyway,i think the ball did come down as i thought i heard a few games after that during a game it fell to the field.What surprises me is that it said that kingman played 16 season and hit 442 homes runs.I guess i always thought he hit over 500 home runs.And on a side note,i was at the dome watching the twins play the a's.And saw something that really impressed me and that was jose cansaco hit the roof once above 2nd base.So i guess that had to be just like when kingman did it.Wow that is some power to be able to do that.I wondered when i saw cansaco do that if the twins still had a normal stadium (as with kingmans hit ) would they have been a home run.But i always wondered what happen to the kingman ball.Bob,give it up,i know you have it,let's see it.:)
Kingman hit 442 from July '71 to 1986. He was not given a contract for 1987 so hit the free agent market to find it colluded. No takers for a guy who hit 100 HRS in 3 seasons with Oakland and 303 RBI.

Following the winter he signed a very short term deal with the Giants AAA Phoenix Firebirds in an effort to showcase his skills. He played there 2 weeks, hit a pair of homers and a handful of K's with apparently no takers he officially retired. Not interested in Japan, etc. he focussed his attention on personal pursuits thereafter. I had heard from Dave that the Tigers were close to signing him (I live close). He said their GM had wanted him to attend spring training in 87 but called it off at the last minute. Sparky had also told me how much he personally would have liked to have Dave on the club. We needed right handed power and he would have been an ideal DH. He was also heavily rumored to be headed to the Mariners (it was even announced in USA Today that it would be his next stop), but they went with , I believe Gorman Thomas?

So, had collusion not been part of baseball at the time, he have easily obtained 500 HRS., but it was not to be. One thing when your skills erode and you retire - another when you are forced out. Really pissed me off................still does.

jobathenut
10-03-2009, 11:24 PM
skyking-I am not that smart.What does "collusion" mean is baseball terms? Yeah,i can't believe a team did'nt want him.Even if his skills were going a chase to 500 sells tickets.I mean look at players like giambi and thome.They are at the end of thier careers but they get signed for dh or pitch hit reasons.Thier days of being a everyday player are over but if you need a one at bat a game home run they are that type of players.And kingman was one of the originals.I think it;'s because the game was different back then.Then is was about the game.Now it seems to be about selling tickets and everything but the game.But that's going off topic,i just hate how sports and stadiums are about offering entertainment off the field.And i remember when it was on the field that was the entertainment.I really think if kingman was playing now he would have been signed by a team needing that draw.I can understand your anger,as i almost had it with giambi and how the a's disrespected him.And my idol butch wynegar who ended his career cuase of injury.You just want your idols to go out on that white horse and ride off into the sunset as it were.It has to upset kingman to be that close to 500 though.:)

karamaxjoe
10-04-2009, 09:19 AM
skyking-I am not that smart.What does "collusion" mean is baseball terms?

Collusion took place in the late 80's where the owners allegedly decided not to sign any free agents to save money. Lots of players like Andre Dawson, Carlton Fisk and Kirk Gibson were affected. The players union sued and won a nice settlement.

jobathenut
10-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the information,i was not aware of this.:)
Collusion took place in the late 80's where the owners allegedly decided not to sign any free agents to save money. Lots of players like Andre Dawson, Carlton Fisk and Kirk Gibson were affected. The players union sued and won a nice settlement.

skyking26
10-05-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the information,i was not aware of this.:)
Kingman and Rod Carew were the leading receivers of $$ in damages from Collusion. Dave received almost $900,000, commensurate with what his salary would have been. I'm sure that took the sting off things!

RK

skyking26
10-05-2009, 07:17 AM
skyking-I am not that smart.What does "collusion" mean is baseball terms? Yeah,i can't believe a team did'nt want him.Even if his skills were going a chase to 500 sells tickets.I mean look at players like giambi and thome.They are at the end of thier careers but they get signed for dh or pitch hit reasons.Thier days of being a everyday player are over but if you need a one at bat a game home run they are that type of players.And kingman was one of the originals.I think it;'s because the game was different back then.Then is was about the game.Now it seems to be about selling tickets and everything but the game.But that's going off topic,i just hate how sports and stadiums are about offering entertainment off the field.And i remember when it was on the field that was the entertainment.I really think if kingman was playing now he would have been signed by a team needing that draw.I can understand your anger,as i almost had it with giambi and how the a's disrespected him.And my idol butch wynegar who ended his career cuase of injury.You just want your idols to go out on that white horse and ride off into the sunset as it were.It has to upset kingman to be that close to 500 though.:)
Dave told me in Mar 08 that he wanted to play for Seattle badly and thought that was where he was going. There was no doubt he wanted to play, and coming off a 35 HR season with 94 RBI's, quite insulting and ridiculous not to be offered a contract by SOMEONE.

He would have hit #500 in '88 most likely.

skyking26
10-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Dave told me in Mar 08 that he wanted to play for Seattle badly and thought that was where he was going. There was no doubt he wanted to play, and coming off a 35 HR season with 94 RBI's, quite insulting and ridiculous not to be offered a contract by SOMEONE.

He would have hit #500 in '88 most likely.
Seattle would be a great place for him to play, he had a great avg there and alot of homers. For marketing purposes, Kingman in the Kingdome? Can't get much better than that. The GM back then, Hal Keller, was not a Kingman guy calling him a mistake hitter. After that comment earlier the year before which was public, Dave hit 3 homers and 8 RBI's against Seattle at home in 1 game. He then said to the press: There's 3 more mistakes."

I've never been a Seattle supporter, because of all the above. Keller made a dumb comment public, just like the recently FIRED Blue Jays manager made some very negative comments about Adam Dunn last year as being unmotivated and not the type of player that they would ever go after... I think that GM's track record of non-success with Toronto resulted in his firing. People just don't know when to shut up!!!