PDA

View Full Version : Here's to the Future of the Washington Nationals - A Few Game-Used Gems!!!

G1X
10-05-2009, 09:08 PM
On the last weekend of the season, the Potomac Nationals held a silent auction for their game-worn road jerseys that have been worn for at least the past 3 seasons. The Nats are located just a few miles up the road from my house, so I made the trek as I desperately wanted the jersey worn by pitching prospect Ross Detwiler who quickly became a favorite when I saw him pitch his first game for the P-Nats after being drafted 6th overall in the 2007 draft. He wore #23 for Potomac in 2007 and once again in 2008. This jersey would be a nice addition to a game-worn Team USA jersey of his that's in my personal collection.

The only jerseys available for the auction were numbers worn by current players on the roster as the team decided to have the players autograph their jerseys on the back numbers for the auction. The good news for me was that #23 was available as another pitching prospect, Trevor Holder, who was taken with the 81st pick (third round) in this year's draft, was wearing #23 at the end of the year. Holder also happens to be from my hometown of Birmingham, Alabama, which made the #23 jersey that much more appealing.

The bad news is that other jerseys that I wanted, such as top-rated hitting prospect Chris Marerro (first round pick in 2006) and relief-pitcher extraordinaire Drew Storen (#10 overall this year and already jumped 3 levels) were not available as no one was wearing Marerro's #35 and Storen's #20 at that point in the season as both had been called up to AA-Harrisburg only a few weeks prior. In addition to Marerro wearing #35 in both 2008 and 2009, it was worn by Ian Desmond in 2007. Desmond has made an impressive splash with the major league team after his September call-up.

Several other top prospects were still with the P-Nats including slugging outfielder Michael Burgess (#49 overall in the 2007 draft) and shortstop Danny Espinosa (87th overall in the 2008 draft) who was a Carolina League All-Star this year along with Marerro.

Before placing any bids, I passed by the P-Nats Booster Club booth where they sell broken bats that are autographed by the player who used the bat. Most are generic pro model bats without any ID. As I was looking at the bats, the booster club member pointed out a Chris Marerro bat that had a ton of use and a nice handle crack. Unlike the other players' bats, it was a personalized model (MAX bat) with his name on the barrel. Since it wasn't autographed, they were letting it go for $15. It was a deal I couldn't pass up! (See photos below.)

Back at the silent auction, the opening bid was $75 for each jersey. A little more than I was hoping for, but I went ahead and placed a bid on #23 (worn by Detwiler, Holder, and others) and #25 (Burgess in 2009 plus a host of others in previous seasons). Espinosa seemeed to be a fan favorite and the bids were mounting quickly, so I did not bother to place a bid on his jersey. As the auction closed at the end of the 6th inning, I wound up with both jerseys (see photos below). No one had bid on #23 while the Burgess garnered a few bids.

As I was paying for the two jerseys, I noticed a #35 Marerro home jersey hanging in the Team Shop window. It was easy to spot as the home jerseys have a nameplate on back (the road jerseys do not). I asked if I could buy it as well and they obliged. It was evidently worn as far back as 2007 as there are signs of a plate change (Desmond wore #35 in 2007 and Marerro in 2008 and 2009 as previously mentioned).

I also asked if they would be selling any of the jerseys that were not available in the silent auction as I wanted an unautographed jersey. The GM told me that they should have the rest of the jerseys available the next day (Sunday).

Needless to say, I showed up early on Sunday as I didn't want to miss out on the #35 road jersey of Marerro/Desmond and #20 that was worn by Storen (and others). Realistically, I figured that these would be held back or else priced much higher than the rest of the jerseys. I was greatly disapppointed when I went ot he Team Shop and didn't see any jerseys. I checked back every few innings, but still no jerseys.

Around the 7th inning, I ran into the GM and asked about the jerseys. He said that he would check with the store manager and see if they could put out three or four jerseys. I was still a bit disappointed as I figured that there was no way they would put out the Marerro and Storen.

An inning later, I went to the store and there were exactly four road jerseys on the rack. To my shock, #20 and #35 were both on the rack at regular price! I couldn't have asked for anything more (see photos below).

Hope that fellow Nats' fans enjoy the photos!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Atlanta Falcons and WFL jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

lehmsbobby
10-05-2009, 09:41 PM
how much were the jerseys you bought?

allstarsplus
03-12-2010, 02:20 PM
On the last weekend of the season, the Potomac Nationals held a silent auction for their game-worn road jerseys that have been worn for at least the past 3 seasons. The Nats are located just a few miles up the road from my house, so I made the trek as I desperately wanted the jersey worn by pitching prospect Ross Detwiler who quickly became a favorite when I saw him pitch his first game for the P-Nats after being drafted 6th overall in the 2007 draft. He wore #23 for Potomac in 2007 and once again in 2008. This jersey would be a nice addition to a game-worn Team USA jersey of his that's in my personal collection.

The only jerseys available for the auction were numbers worn by current players on the roster as the team decided to have the players autograph their jerseys on the back numbers for the auction. The good news for me was that #23 was available as another pitching prospect, Trevor Holder, who was taken with the 81st pick (third round) in this year's draft, was wearing #23 at the end of the year. Holder also happens to be from my hometown of Birmingham, Alabama, which made the #23 jersey that much more appealing.

The bad news is that other jerseys that I wanted, such as top-rated hitting prospect Chris Marerro (first round pick in 2006) and relief-pitcher extraordinaire Drew Storen (#10 overall this year and already jumped 3 levels) were not available as no one was wearing Marerro's #35 and Storen's #20 at that point in the season as both had been called up to AA-Harrisburg only a few weeks prior. In addition to Marerro wearing #35 in both 2008 and 2009, it was worn by Ian Desmond in 2007. Desmond has made an impressive splash with the major league team after his September call-up.

Several other top prospects were still with the P-Nats including slugging outfielder Michael Burgess (#49 overall in the 2007 draft) and shortstop Danny Espinosa (87th overall in the 2008 draft) who was a Carolina League All-Star this year along with Marerro.

Before placing any bids, I passed by the P-Nats Booster Club booth where they sell broken bats that are autographed by the player who used the bat. Most are generic pro model bats without any ID. As I was looking at the bats, the booster club member pointed out a Chris Marerro bat that had a ton of use and a nice handle crack. Unlike the other players' bats, it was a personalized model (MAX bat) with his name on the barrel. Since it wasn't autographed, they were letting it go for $15. It was a deal I couldn't pass up! (See photos below.)

Back at the silent auction, the opening bid was $75 for each jersey. A little more than I was hoping for, but I went ahead and placed a bid on #23 (worn by Detwiler, Holder, and others) and #25 (Burgess in 2009 plus a host of others in previous seasons). Espinosa seemeed to be a fan favorite and the bids were mounting quickly, so I did not bother to place a bid on his jersey. As the auction closed at the end of the 6th inning, I wound up with both jerseys (see photos below). No one had bid on #23 while the Burgess garnered a few bids.

As I was paying for the two jerseys, I noticed a #35 Marerro home jersey hanging in the Team Shop window. It was easy to spot as the home jerseys have a nameplate on back (the road jerseys do not). I asked if I could buy it as well and they obliged. It was evidently worn as far back as 2007 as there are signs of a plate change (Desmond wore #35 in 2007 and Marerro in 2008 and 2009 as previously mentioned).

I also asked if they would be selling any of the jerseys that were not available in the silent auction as I wanted an unautographed jersey. The GM told me that they should have the rest of the jerseys available the next day (Sunday).

Needless to say, I showed up early on Sunday as I didn't want to miss out on the #35 road jersey of Marerro/Desmond and #20 that was worn by Storen (and others). Realistically, I figured that these would be held back or else priced much higher than the rest of the jerseys. I was greatly disapppointed when I went ot he Team Shop and didn't see any jerseys. I checked back every few innings, but still no jerseys.

Around the 7th inning, I ran into the GM and asked about the jerseys. He said that he would check with the store manager and see if they could put out three or four jerseys. I was still a bit disappointed as I figured that there was no way they would put out the Marerro and Storen.

An inning later, I went to the store and there were exactly four road jerseys on the rack. To my shock, #20 and #35 were both on the rack at regular price! I couldn't have asked for anything more (see photos below).

Hope that fellow Nats' fans enjoy the photos!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Atlanta Falcons and WFL jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

Mark - Can you imagine the crowds in Potomac if Strasburg does pitch there!

markfd
03-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Mark - Great stuff!

Here are some of my future Nats game used gear....

Chris Marrero bat
Steven Souza bat
Michael Burgess bat
Michael Burgess jersey
Jack McGeary jersey
Michael Burgess cap

G1X
03-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Andrew,
I am hoping Stasburg plays for Potomac. It's just a few miles up the road from here. I saw Ross Detwiler's Class-A debut at Potomac back in 2007 after the Nats had drafted him in the first round that year. A decent crowd for that game, but with Stasburg on the mound, the place will be overflowing.

Mark,
Thanks for posting the photos. Those are some really nice items, especially to us Nats fans! The Vermont jerseys are really sharp. Although I am not much for autographs - especially on jerseys - I took your advice and asked Drew Storen if he wouldn't mind signing the #20 jersey (the Nats Caravan stopped at the Pfitz in late January for an autograph session). He looked up from the table seemingly a bit interested and said, "I see you have one of my jerseys", before signing at the base back number "2". He has a somewhat peculiar signature that is rather difficult to read (everything he was signing was that way), but I am nevertheless pleased with getting the shirt signed.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

allstarsplus
03-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Andrew,
I am hoping Stasburg plays for Potomac. It's just a few miles up the road from here. I saw Ross Detwiler's Class-A debut at Potomac back in 2007 after the Nats had drafted him in the first round that year. A decent crowd for that game, but with Stasburg on the mound, the place will be overflowing.

Mark,
Thanks for posting the photos. Those are some really nice items, especially to us Nats fans! The Vermont jerseys are really sharp. Although I am not much for autographs - especially on jerseys - I took your advice and asked Drew Storen if he wouldn't mind signing the #20 jersey (the Nats Caravan stopped at the Pfitz in late January for an autograph session). He looked up from the table seemingly a bit interested and said, "I see you have one of my jerseys", before signing at the base back number "2". He has a somewhat peculiar signature that is rather difficult to read (everything he was signing was that way), but I am nevertheless pleased with getting the shirt signed.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Mark H. - You know that 1 game that Detwiler appeared in 2007 (last year of RFK), I got his home jersey!

I am almost certain that Strasburg will start off in Potomac and get 5 games in for them and head to Harrisburg. Not sure if he will go straight from Harrisburg to the Nats or take a few games in AAA.

markfd
03-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Andrew - Sweet I did not know you had THAT Detweiler jersey, hopefully he recovers quickly from his injury.

G1X
03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Andrew,

Nice item!!! I was at that game - seems like a Sunday afternoon. Wasn't Detwiler wearing #29 at that point?

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

LastingsMilledge85
03-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Yes Detwiler wore #29 in 2007, but switched to #48 when he made his return to the majors in 2009.

allstarsplus
03-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Yes Detwiler wore #29 in 2007, but switched to #48 when he made his return to the majors in 2009.

Yep, and thank goodness for the Names on the Backs of some team's jerseys.

markfd
03-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Here is another item, Michael Burgess' Vermont Lakemonsters Game Used Cap.