PDA

View Full Version : Steiner a class act!

perlman9
10-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Steiner just finished their auction and for some reason had two of each jersey listed. Although it seemed odd, I thought the jerseys could have been worn for a half each (like basketball) so bid and won a Courtney Brown. As it turned out, it was a mistake and I got an email right away letting me know the jersey I won was not available and to send a list of others I may be interested in. I am not getting a Flozell Adams (I am a big MSU fan) game issued in replacement and just want to say how quick and effortless it was to get the issue resolved.

Not sure if anyone else is in the same situation, but I think a big kudos should go out to Steiner for handling their mistake properly and promptly.

Jason

short84
10-06-2009, 12:36 PM
I got the same run around. I contacted Ben Cohen September 29 to verify that a particular lot was available and in the same message to him told him about the numerous duplicate listings. I got a reply that verified which listing was the "correct one" so that when I placed my bid I would be sure to purchase the item I wanted. Yesterday, I received a email message that confirmed my order and that it would be shipped as soon as possible. Today I received an email message from Ben Cohen that stated my item was no longer available because it had been "damaged". I replied that we had a legal contract and I wanted the item anyway. This is the reply I received:
I know it’s not an excuse but I was victimized by an inventory error. Inventory showed that the jersey was available, unfortunately it is not available. We had lots of problems with incorrect stock and I was authorized to go as far as I can to accommodate a customer for a replacement item.
Even though I contact them to verify the availablility of an item and bid on it in good faith, I also got the same "it's not my fault answer and let me send you something else". I am a little peeved at this company right now because I went out of my way to purchase an item I really wanted for my collection. In order to cover the cost of this item, I sold items from my personal collection that I would have not parted with if I had known this company had such shoddy business practices. This has left a very bad taste in my mouth.......
SusieQ

short84
10-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Sorry, but I don't understand why you are giving kudos to Steiner. The jersey you bid on and won wasn't available and you are not getting a Flozell Adams replacement. Maybe I am not understanding what you wrote but I am not happy with how things have gone -- I didn't get a list of items to select from -- I was given only one choice. I am especially not happy because I notified them on September 29 that they had a problem with their listings and they did nothing about it. I wonder how many other people placed bids in good faith only to receive a message informing them that the item they won was not available. I am glad you feel you got treated well, but I felt like more could have been done to prevent the whole misunderstanding. SusieQ

intheminors
10-06-2009, 01:55 PM
I had a conversation with my former rep at Steiner a few months back and asked to take me off the e-mail list until he figured out my issue.

Needlesstosay, I am still on the e-mail list (with two different reps) and have not heard from him as far as an explanation. I truly miss Bob Malandro.

Kyle

5kRunner
10-06-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm confused. :confused:

Did they offer you a refund?

You bid on a Game USED/WORN jersey and are receiving a Game ISSUED jersey. Is that right?

I'd be curious to know if somehow the lower of the two auctions was the "error".

suicide_squeeze
10-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Well, gang.......just STAND BY.......they're now connected to Grey Flannel, kinda like in the same manner a hemmorrhoid is connected to one's rectum......and things are sure to improve soon! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/31.gif

Number9
10-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Nice Shane Spencer helmet, even though he was a right handed hitter he liked to wear a helmet for a left-handed hitter right??? that way he was protected if a ball bounced off the backstop toward his head? huh??? NOT!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NY-YANKEES-SHANE-SPENCER-GAME-USED-HELMET-STEINER-LOA_W0QQitemZ320430015289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item4a9b1e0339

Typical of why you can't put too much stock in steiner stickers and LOAs. The ebay seller points out its may have been another player but Steiner just says it is a Spencer helmet. I am sure they will fall back on 'that is what the Yankees told us' like they always do but if you are going to issue an LOA on something you should at least find out if he is a right-handed or left-handed hitter.

One more suggestion, ignore LOAs and stickers and stamps and do your research.

suicide_squeeze
10-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Nice Shane Spencer helmet, even though he was a right handed hitter he liked to wear a helmet for a left-handed hitter right??? that way he was protected if a ball bounced off the backstop toward his head? huh??? NOT!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NY-YANKEES-SHANE-SPENCER-GAME-USED-HELMET-STEINER-LOA_W0QQitemZ320430015289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item4a9b1e0339

Typical of why you can't put too much stock in steiner stickers and LOAs. The ebay seller points out its may have been another player but Steiner just says it is a Spencer helmet. I am sure they will fall back on 'that is what the Yankees told us' like they always do but if you are going to issue an LOA on something you should at least find out if he is a right-handed or left-handed hitter.

There was a day when we had laws against such flagrant misrepresentation. But you change a few politicians, and everything just goes to hell. My, how things have changed.......I yearn for the good old days again......

reed1216
10-07-2009, 06:41 AM
suicide_squeeze- I think you must have posted the wrong photo, below your post. When I think of the "good ole days" images such as selling lemonade on a street corner and playing little league baseball come to mind.

When I think of George W. Bush, all that comes to mind is, thank goodness we have survived as a nation, after being led by an intellectually challenged, morally deficient and completely incompetant clown for 8 of the last 9 years. Those 8 years don't represent the "good ole days" to me, by any stretch of the imagination.

jkalathas
10-07-2009, 07:26 AM
What the hell do your political beliefs have to do with game used collecting, take your political rants somewhere else.

cjclong
10-07-2009, 08:04 AM
I agree. I have political opinions but I don't express them here. Its not fair to those of us who keep politics off this site for others to continue to force their views on the rest of us. There are plenty of letters to the editor section in newspapers and political blogs where you can talk about politics to your hearts content. I have some very strong political views but I don't express them here. Lets keep this on sports and collecting. Please.

perlman9
10-07-2009, 08:11 AM
I was not given a list to choose from, but was asked to send a list of what I would like in exchange. I won a game-used Courtney Brown jersey for $60 and really just bid on like 5 jerseys for no more than $60 each just to see if I could luck into an inexpensive jersey. I won it but got the email it wasn't available. I sent an email saying I am a Michigan State fan and was offered the Flozell Adams issued jersey. I think the $60 is a fair price for that so was happy with the transaction. I probably could have put up a fuss but figured I added a MSU player to the collection for a good price so, for me, was happy with the transaction. I would say if I bought an expensive item, I don't think there would be much they could do to make up for it as was said earlier, some people sell items to pay for a higher-priced item and for that, there should be something done. But for me, I thought it was handled fine and was happy with what I got in return for the $60. I hope those who had bigger issues that a Courtney Brown get it figured out. I will also say, since there were two of each jersey listed, I am sure they took the higher price rather than the "correct listing" so can see where someone could take exception to that.

So I just want to say, my experience and what I got in return, was fine for me, but am sure each person's experience, as with any seller, can vary. I just wanted to share my experience and hope those that are having a more difficult experience can get something worked out!

skipcarayislegend
10-07-2009, 08:55 AM
When I think of George W. Bush, all that comes to mind is, thank goodness we have survived as a nation, after being led by an intellectually challenged, morally deficient and completely incompetant clown for 8 of the last 9 years. Those 8 years don't represent the "good ole days" to me, by any stretch of the imagination.

How in the world do these comments relate to the original topic? Statements like the ones above have no place here, imo.

5kRunner
10-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Perl,
Glad you are happy. In the end, that is all that matters.

In my head, I was thinking of a higher figure than $60. So, you were right. You did well. Glad they made you happy.

BergerKing22784
10-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I had a very simliar act happen to me with Steiner and because of it I really do not trust them whatsoever.... As you can tell from my screen name my last name is Berger so I love to find anything game used of players named Berger... I am also a Cowboys fan.. Joe Berger was the backup center for the Cowboys for a couple seasons and to be honest I dont think he actually took a snap in a game for those couple years...

Anyway they had the Thanks Giving day game used jerseys for sale via auction and I paid like 150 for it. I did not get the jersey they sent a different player. I looked and they were now auctioning it off for cheaper and I emailed them and was like hey you guys are auctioning of MY jersey that I already bought. I got an email back saying it wasny MY jersey they were selling. I find it hard to believe that Joe Berger someone who doesnt even play wore 2 jerseys in that game. I finally got my jersey after they corrected it but I have trouble swallowing that he actually wore this jersey on the sideline considering there were multiples of the same jersey for auction on their site from the same game... I doubt someone who never plays had a reason to wear 2 or 3 of the same jersey...

This process took nearly a month and a half to get my correct jersey!

Joe Berger is now with the Dolphins I hope Steiner doesnt have rights to their jerseys as I would love to get his jersey from the Dolphins also.

brianborsch
10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Yeah. I recently inquired on some items and they listed what they had. I asked if I could get pics of the items. Their response:

"No pics available."

Really? Forum members can supply pics of items they are selling, but a company who makes millions off of collectors can't? I find it hard to believe. Steiner has gotten too big for their britches as they think they can do whatever they want now that they have all this inventory. They are deinitely NOT trained in customer service skills. They may put on a show just to make a buck, but I assure you it doesn't happen often, and it is NOT genuine.

suicide_squeeze
10-07-2009, 09:46 AM
reed1216,

I agree with you completely. I was hoping everyone could see the sarcasm in my 'joke' comments.

To the rest of you, lighten up. If you all can't see there is a connection between the moral corruption that is prevalent in our country and our own little world here in game used collecting, then you're all asleep at the wheel. In no way was I making a "political" statement. But what better analogy could I use to get my point across, than the complete and thorough breakdown of leadership and governmental failure we are having to endure in our lives. It is permeating throughout every facit of business we see around us. Just look at Steiner, Grey Flannel, AMI, the collapse of MastroNet.......

I was merely cracking a joke, and using an overly emcompassing analogy as to why things have deteriorated to such a monster degree in our lives. If you all choose to simplify it by ignoring what's going on outside your front doors, then do as you will at your own peril. I am truly sorry if I stepped on your little "escape" here in the GUU.....but like I said, this infection of moral corruptness is heavily infiltrated here too, so snap out of it. We're all here to look out for eachother, aren't we? Hate me as much as some of you do.....I can live it with, but I'm still looking out for you as a group, individual or not. Call me someone in need of attention if you like (lol....spare me!), but all I am doing is speaking my mind to protect myself and the people who share my interests as I see fit.

I am not trying to highjack this thread. I was simply voicing a general opinion on why things are so bad. Apparently everyone missed my point....completely. The picture of Bush with the upside-down phone is symbolic of the steady deterioration of everything our country has tried so hard to build over it's many decades of existence. It's a correlation of the lack of fundamental skills and quality of life that is being perpetrated down our throats as citizens of the "Greatest Country on earth". More directly to the point....Steiner's incompetence in running their own auction. Instead of doing things right, they run an auction with duplicated items, screwing it up to the point they have a bunch of angry disappointed clients who are being handed apologetic "gifts" for their own lack of professionalism in making sure what they just posted on their site as an auction is correct.

Where is the accountability?

Sure, people make mistakes. I just know that I try to do the best at my job, and I don't see the effort put out in a lot of what I come in contact with in my life. It pisses me off. I would hope that it would disappoint you all too. Again, I'm sorry that you all missed my point. But I will not stop posting my dismay over the crap we are all having to sift through. If we don't demand better as a group...as a society.....guess what? Things will just get worse.

I won't accept worse. That's why I come at these so-called professional auction houses. And I always will.

suicide_squeeze
10-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah. I recently inquired on some items and they listed what they had. I asked if I could get pics of the items. Their response:

"No pics available."

Really? Forum members can supply pics of items they are selling, but a company who makes millions off of collectors can't? I find it hard to believe. Steiner has gotten too big for their britches as they think they can do whatever they want now that they have all this inventory. They are deinitely NOT trained in customer service skills. They may put on a show just to make a buck, but I assure you it doesn't happen often, and it is NOT genuine.

Right on, Brian!!!

Don't accept it! Give it to em, the incompetent greedy money-making bastards. They'll take our money, in exorbitant amounts, but they can't use some of it for "quality control"?

"F" 'em! Tell em to take their "Steiner tamper proof stickers" and sprinkle em on their dinner salads.

Demand accountability, or tell em to get out of the business.

I still get an occasional call from some young poor bastard who has taken on a "sales" job with them, to try to push the rediculously priced garbage they sell for super high profit margins. I kind of laugh at first, questioning why I'm still on their phone list, and then go into my fatherly mode and try to explain, in a caring fashion, why they should maybe persue a different form of employment as soon as things get better economically. But somehow, I guess there are still enough lesser-informed people out there who like sports enough to get salesman'ed enought to buy the stuff, so these guys push on....at least for awhile. Sad, but the ones who buy this overpriced stuff will be the GUU forum members of tomorrow eventually.

And they'll be angry just like a lot of us are over the past reamings we have all endured, and learned by.

suave1477
10-07-2009, 10:50 AM

FYI I AM THE SELLER OF THIS ITEM.

I will take partial blame for this item as I did do some homework but not all.
That is why it was mentioned in the descrption next to LOA that it could of been a typo for saying 2003 or possibly a different players helmet due to Spencer played with the team till 2002. In 2003 Jesse Orosco wore #47
So there was no intention whatsoever to mislead anyone to purchasing something other than what it was.
Also I have contacted the winning bidder and made them more detailed aware of what they won/what they think they might have won.

I myself of course did go off of a bit with more of what the Steiner LOA said and I do know better to do my own homework which is how I found out it could not have been from 2003.

But the obvious was pointed out to me (which I should of seen, but I overlooked) in an email regarding the flap on the ear which by the time I read it. It was too late.

Number9 I will assume you were the person who sent me that email. As it seems almost identical to what you wrote here is was I received. Also interesting you brought it up here.
I also thought forum rules was if you send out an email you give a person 24 hours to respond.

intheminors
10-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I will give credit to some reps at Steiner for reading this board. After my original post, I was contact by my old rep. After exchanging some e-mails, at least I know that someone from Steiner is reading it.

It would be nice if Brandon Steiner would take notes on some of this. When I had originally e-mailed my problems to Steiner, I copied Brandon's assistant on the e-mail (which I later found out no longer works for the company). At least a few people at Steiner are trying to correct some of the problems.

Is it time to try and call out Brandon and see if he has a take on this? Would it do any good?

Kyle

Number9
10-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Suave,
I think my post was pretty clear in that I was not criticizing YOU, that you DID point out it was not a Spencer helmet:

"The ebay seller points out its may have been another player."

All my points were about the STEINER LOA THEY issued:

"Typical of why you can't put too much stock in steiner stickers and LOAs. .... but Steiner just says it is a Spencer helmet. .... I am sure they will fall back on 'that is what the Yankees told us' like they always do but if you are going to issue an LOA on something you should at least find out if he is a right-handed or left-handed hitter. ..... One more suggestion, ignore LOAs and stickers and stamps and do your research."

All directed at Steiner for issuing an LOA saying it was Spencer's helmet when it clearly wasn't.

suicide_squeeze
10-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I will give credit to some reps at Steiner for reading this board. After my original post, I was contact by my old rep. After exchanging some e-mails, at least I know that someone from Steiner is reading it.

It would be nice if Brandon Steiner would take notes on some of this. When I had originally e-mailed my problems to Steiner, I copied Brandon's assistant on the e-mail (which I later found out no longer works for the company). At least a few people at Steiner are trying to correct some of the problems.

Is it time to try and call out Brandon and see if he has a take on this? Would it do any good?

Kyle

Yeah, sure.....Let's all be real sweet and friendly, and kiss the asses of the very people who are sticking it to us.

Nothing against you Kyle.....this is not a personal attack or in any way an attempt to get your dander up.....but why are any of us here taking an approach that we need to act in a professional and civil manner to the money-making machines that distribute memorabilia for phat profits?

Of COURSE they're reading this board. Their incomes and livelyhoods depend on us, so they have to be prepared to perform damage control. What better way to accomplish that than to read into their problems at first opportunity......problems that could be avoided if they did the right things up front.

There will be those of you who say "Hey squeeze, calm down, they are taking care of it and offering up professional courtesy by passing out game issued stuff to make amends, so what's your gripe?"

That's not the issue. The issue is, there are members here expressing their different opinions on how Steiner has handled this "duplicated items auction"....some happy with the result, some not. My issue is why did it happen in the first place? If I had bid on something that was "game-used" that I really wanted, and then was told after I won it that a mistake was made, too bad, sorry Charlie, but we'll send you (this...enter choice here) as a replacement to show our remorse".....I'd tell em em to give that line of GARBAGE to the other dude who actually WON the item and send me the one I WON. Do you see the difference? There will ALWAYS be a loser, and that's a pretty sad sitch to have when you perform these auctions as part of your business. There is no excuse for it. Real game-used items are a one-of-a-kind. CARE should be taken in how they are presented to the collecting public.

As a collector, I say "give it to 'em" when they do the stupid things they do, without professionalism and concern, void of proper prep in the first place.

Complacent disregard for anything but making money. We as the end-user clients need to demand BETTER.

For those of you that have relationships and know people that you deal with over at these places, handle it however you like. But I choose not to swim in the same water with the sharks who look at us as their daily chum. This forum is my shark repellent harpoon, and I'm using it.

suicide_squeeze
10-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Suave,
I think my post was pretty clear in that I was not criticizing YOU, that you DID point out it was not a Spencer helmet:

"The ebay seller points out its may have been another player."

All my points were about the STEINER LOA THEY issued:

"Typical of why you can't put too much stock in steiner stickers and LOAs. .... but Steiner just says it is a Spencer helmet. .... I am sure they will fall back on 'that is what the Yankees told us' like they always do but if you are going to issue an LOA on something you should at least find out if he is a right-handed or left-handed hitter. ..... One more suggestion, ignore LOAs and stickers and stamps and do your research."

All directed at Steiner for issuing an LOA saying it was Spencer's helmet when it clearly wasn't.

Number9,

You are absolutely right on.

If suave1477 doesn't possess the gonads to go back at (whomever) who he won the piece from upon realization it's garbage, then that's his problem, so to speak. The helmet was flat-out improperly represented as a Spencer helmet. It's not.

But like I commented on a previous post just recently.....these types of ill conceived auctions create "bad" situations, because buyers that normally wouldn't resell garbage find themselves with a financial loss. It gets in their craw, so they become part of the problem by recirculating the garbage in the hobby. So to his credit, you say he did mention it may be another players helmet? That's horses#!T....he knows it, you know it, and I know it. That "credit" is not welcome in my store. It's ABSOLUTELY another player's helmet, so why place a bit of lipstick on the pig?

suave1477, why don't you man up and take that garbage back to where it was misrepresented in the first place and make them pay you your money back?

Is it that it's just easier to offer it, sugarcoated in a way that you can recoup some/most of your money, while having garbage end up in someone else's lap that may not have the knowledge you/we here have? I mean, after all, at that point, it's not your problem anymore!! http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/thumbdown.gif That's low, partner.

JETEFAN
10-07-2009, 02:40 PM
As I've said before, Steiner has no clue as to Who, What, Where and When of what they sell, They have destroyed the Yankees game used memorabilia market and they are done as far as quality Yankees items(George's vault ran dry!!) Let's see what happens when they run out of freeze dried Yankees grass plugs !! Stricktly my opinion which happens to be correct..:D

George

suave1477
10-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Number9,

You are absolutely right on.

If suave1477 doesn't possess the gonads to go back at (whomever) who he won the piece from upon realization it's garbage, then that's his problem, so to speak. The helmet was flat-out improperly represented as a Spencer helmet. It's not.

But like I commented on a previous post just recently.....these types of ill conceived auctions create "bad" situations, because buyers that normally wouldn't resell garbage find themselves with a financial loss. It gets in their craw, so they become part of the problem by recirculating the garbage in the hobby. So to his credit, you say he did mention it may be another players helmet? That's horses#!T....he knows it, you know it, and I know it. That "credit" is not welcome in my store. It's ABSOLUTELY another player's helmet, so why place a bit of lipstick on the pig?

suave1477, why don't you man up and take that garbage back to where it was misrepresented in the first place and make them pay you your money back?

Is it that it's just easier to offer it, sugarcoated in a way that you can recoup some/most of your money, while having garbage end up in someone else's lap that may not have the knowledge you/we here have? I mean, after all, at that point, it's not your problem anymore!! http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/thumbdown.gif That's low, partner.

Suicide as usual I love your comments - so colorful.

If I was trying to sugar coat something I wouldn't even bother bringing back up Number9's comment. I did so for a reason to help him and others understand what the situation was.

As far as me trying to pass off garbage to recoupe some money was never my intent at all and to accuse me of such is in my opinion outright disgusting. I have been a member of this forum for quite some time and have always tried to help anyone I can in this hobby. I love/enjoy this hobby very much as I think it is so much fun to obtain an item of a player that may have been a personal hero, favorite player, or a great expereince someone had with that player, etc.....

The story behind the helmet when I first purchased it was I bought it amongst other items and at the time took the LOA for face value and didn't think anyting of it or do any homework at the time (Yes that was my fault) So till the day I listed it. I was always under the impression it was Shane Spencers. I recently decided I wanted to movve some items
and I own quite a few batting helmets from the Yankees and decided I wanted to part with this one and another helmet. Previous to listing it I did do some minimal homework and noticed something did not add up "2003" Shane did wear #47 but up until 2002 in "2003" Orosco wore #47. So at that point I established in my listing next to the LOA that either there was a Typo on the LOA and they meant 2002 or if it is from 03 then it would have been worn by Orosco.

Again I never paid attention to the flap being on the wrong side. Just didn't dawn on me.

I was sent an email within a few hours before auction ending and then another email about an hour before auction ending that the flap was on the wrong side and couldnt have been worn by Spencer. Which during that time I was not near my computer and if I was (which I wasn't) but if I was ebay doesn't let you revise auctions when it is that close to the auction ending. So nothing I could do anyway at that point.

I have since contacted the buyer and let him know chances are this helmet was not worn by Spencer and if he chose not to proceed with wanting to pay for the item. That I would undeerstand. He agreed and I will keep the item or re-sell it stating the additional information that I have now gained.

As far as the original person I purchased it from it was very long ago and imo would be way to far passed for me to bother to ask for a refund. If I have to keep it and no one wants it and I take the loss so be it, i'll just keep it and chalk it up as a loss in my own pocket.

But for you to sit there and accuse me of intentionally trying to screw someone else over, takes some serious GONADS.
Especially when you do not know the whole story.

Suicide why don't you try something different for a change and be helpful to the forum instead of sitting there always pointing fingers.
Is it possible for you to add anything helpful instead of creating topics that can draw people into arguments or make brash commects towards other members???

intheminors
10-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Squeeze: None taken... you bastard! :)

Their livelihood depends on collectors but they'd rather focus on the big money collectors. That's what has me so frustrated. When Bob Malandro was there, I always felt like I was spending $1,000 a phone call with him, when in reality, I'd spend a few hundred here and there. That's a lot of money to me and Bob treated me as such.

I just don't get that feeling anymore.

It doesn't matter to me right now if Steiner goes belly up tomorrow. I no longer have anything invested in them. I just can't figure out if Brandon Steiner is aware of the problems and ignores them or if he's kept in the dark about all of the day-to-day screw ups that are ticking of the collecting community.

Maybe the admins could get Brandon to give us an update on what he's doing to rectify these problems. Of course, I'm sure Brandon's "signing fee" is more than I care to know. Maybe I'll send in a baseball to have Brandon sign and see if it comes back with the correct Hologram number and corresponding letter.

Kyle

suicide_squeeze
10-07-2009, 06:03 PM

If I was trying to sugar coat something I wouldn't even bother bringing back up Number9's comment. I did so for a reason to help him and others understand what the situation was.

No, you did it for damage control knowing it would eventually come out that it was YOU selling the item.

As far as me trying to pass off garbage to recoupe some money was never my intent at all and to accuse me of such is in my opinion outright disgusting. I have been a member of this forum for quite some time and have always tried to help anyone I can in this hobby.

So you don't like being called out for things you think are unfair, and are objectionable to what you consider unwarranted attacks? Welcome to my world. Only diff here is, yours isn't legit.

The story behind the helmet when I first purchased it was I bought it amongst other items and at the time took the LOA for face value and didn't think anyting of it or do any homework at the time (Yes that was my fault) So till the day I listed it. I was always under the impression it was Shane Spencers. I recently decided I wanted to movve some items
and I own quite a few batting helmets from the Yankees and decided I wanted to part with this one and another helmet. Previous to listing it I did do some minimal homework and noticed something did not add up "2003" Shane did wear #47 but up until 2002 in "2003" Orosco wore #47. So at that point I established in my listing next to the LOA that either there was a Typo on the LOA and they meant 2002 or if it is from 03 then it would have been worn by Orosco.

So why dance around all of these "discoveries" and just state it as you have here in your auction?

Again I never paid attention to the flap being on the wrong side. Just didn't dawn on me.

That's like attempting to sell a 1950's Red Sox jersey of Ted William's, and later stating you didn't realize the number "6" jersey wasn't his number. Who do you think is buying that line.....not me. Maybe it's my big "gonads" getting in the way of my thought process? Um....NO.

I was sent an email within a few hours before auction ending and then another email about an hour before auction ending that the flap was on the wrong side and couldnt have been worn by Spencer. Which during that time I was not near my computer and if I was (which I wasn't) but if I was ebay doesn't let you revise auctions when it is that close to the auction ending. So nothing I could do anyway at that point.

And here, folks, is the clincher......

You state you got an "email within a few hours before the auction ending"....and then "another email about an hour before auction ending that the flap was on the wrong side and couldn't have been worn by Spencer." Then you miraculously go on to tell whomever is in a coma while reading this that you were "not near my computer and if I was (which I wasn't) but if I was ebay doesn't let you revise auctions when it is that close to the auction ending. So nothing I could do anyways at that point."

If you weren't at a computer, suave1477.....how could you have received the emails you were referring to?????:rolleyes: I suppose you're now going to tell us you "read them later...after the auction was over? If you are like the majority of the ebay community, unless you have a gazillion listings, you most likely are watching your auction end like most do. Stop treating people here like idiots....it always ends up biting you in the ass.

Let me educate you, suave1477.

You could have flat out ended the auction. You have that choice. You simply check the reason "This item is no longer for sale."

And a bit more news for you....When you list an item in an auction format on ebay, ONCE THERE IS A BID ON IT, you can't make any revisions to the listing. So finding out something serious like, oh, I don't know, that there is NO WAY in the WORLD this could be a Shane Spencer helmet, ending the auction would have been the right thing to do. But you obviously had other intentions, like getting what you could for a bad item and cutting your losses. Yes, I have the GONADS to state it. But NOW you want everyone to believe that you weren't by a computer when you received your "questions/comments" and you are going to claim you didn't get them until later. Nice.

Let me give you, and some of your buddies here, a warning. You want to come after ME and insult ME with your cute little comments, then expect to be called out when it's obvious you are doing something wrong. I make no bones about it. I emailed you, after you invited me to email you, awhile back to "air out our differences" from other threads. So I emailed you at your personal email you gave me, and You proceeded to talk down to me and attempt to tell me the way it was. I would have no part of it. So here we are. Live with it. I am not intentionally "picking" on you. But I will point out what I can see is questionable activity and/or intentions. Trying to impose your will onto someone else has a way of catching up to you also. Tell your "friends".

You have spoken your mind on it, and so have I. The ones here who have an issue with me here?....they'll come at me agin and I could care less. In fact I welcome it, as much as the mods will let it ride. But man, if I find out you guys are doing something wrong IMO, expect to hear from me in the form of a post here. Capisce?

I have since contacted the buyer and let him know chances are this helmet was not worn by Spencer and if he chose not to proceed with wanting to pay for the item. That I would undeerstand. He agreed and I will keep the item or re-sell it stating the additional information that I have now gained.

As far as the original person I purchased it from it was very long ago and imo would be way to far passed for me to bother to ask for a refund. If I have to keep it and no one wants it and I take the loss so be it, i'll just keep it and chalk it up as a loss in my own pocket.

But for you to sit there and accuse me of intentionally trying to screw someone else over, takes some serious GONADS.

Suicide why don't you try something different for a change and be helpful to the forum instead of sitting there always pointing fingers.
Is it possible for you to add anything helpful instead of creating topics that can draw people into arguments or make brash commects towards other members???

I am being helpful. I'm enlightening everyone into your questionable shady practices. Have a nice day, suave1477.

reed1216
10-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by reed1216 http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=163739#post163739)

How in the world do these comments relate to the original topic? Statements like the ones above have no place here, imo.

My statement had nothing to do with the original thread topic. It did, however, have to do with the post that was made, prior to mine. I reviewed the thread and decided to comment on that portion of the post. I don't believe I did so in an offensive manner, but would offer my apologies to anyone who construed it that way.

I don't agree with a lot of what suicide_squeeze says and I don't think it's inappropriate to express those areas of disagreement. With that said, I have grown to really respect Steve. While his views are different from mine, his are passionate and in my opinion, for the most part, very well thought out. I also have a great deal of admiration for anyone who puts him/herself out there to challenge some of the crap that's drifting around our hobby.

Threads deviate from the original topic all the time and later they usually get back on track. This one seems to follow that pattern. I would further suggest that those who are annoyed to the extent that they responded with their own post acted in virtually the same manner that I did.

murfsteve25
10-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Steiner blows. I'll never buy another item from them. The only way i'll obtain any of their items is through other collectors selling them off. Thier customer service is the worst. They've deff got that New York attitude. They are very unprofessional when dealing with customers. After reading Brandon Steiners book, I am suprised he would put up with this. In his book, he talks about it all being about the customers. He uses Mickey Mantle's generosity as an example a few times, stating that the Mick always asked at the end of the day if there was anything else he could do. Well...as a customer, I'm sure we all could come up with a boatload of things that Steiner could do.

1. Better customer service...

gingi79
10-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Brandon Steiner is a liar, a thief and a scoundrel. I would buy Lou Lampson a drink before I would pad Steiner's pockets.

Buy on eBay, at auction or any other means necessary but do NOT buy from Steiner. They are raping your game worn dollars through their "auctions" (which had a 100% markup for "buyers premium") or their website which is priced 200% or more above market value.

I can only hope they go bankrupt and get their just deserves. However, somehow they have contracts for top teams which I can only hope ends soon and collectors are no longer charged prices likened to a new kidney for Good but far from HOF baseball players jerseys.

TNTtoys
10-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I am being helpful. I'm enlightening everyone into your questionable shady practices. Have a nice day, suave1477.

I think you left out this part, which is kind of important to the story:

I have since contacted the buyer and let him know chances are this helmet was not worn by Spencer and if he chose not to proceed with wanting to pay for the item. That I would understand. He agreed and I will keep the item or re-sell it stating the additional information that I have now gained.

Please, next time you wish to bash a fellow forum member, state ALL OF THE FACTS; not just the ones that make your own argument stronger.

suicide_squeeze
10-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Brandon Steiner is a liar, a thief and a scoundrel. I would buy Lou Lampson a drink before I would pad Steiner's pockets.

Buy on eBay, at auction or any other means necessary but do NOT buy from Steiner. They are raping your game worn dollars through their "auctions" (which had a 100% markup for "buyers premium") or their website which is priced 200% or more above market value.

I can only hope they go bankrupt and get their just deserves. However, somehow they have contracts for top teams which I can only hope ends soon and collectors are no longer charged prices likened to a new kidney for Good but far from HOF baseball players jerseys.

Damn, Matt......

That was impressive!! http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/thumbsup.gif

suicide_squeeze
10-07-2009, 10:39 PM

I have since contacted the buyer and let him know chances are this helmet was not worn by Spencer and if he chose not to proceed with wanting to pay for the item. That I would understand. He agreed and I will keep the item or re-sell it stating the additional information that I have now gained.

Please, next time you wish to bash a fellow forum member, state ALL OF THE FACTS; not just the ones that make your own argument stronger.

http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/blink.gif

Well TNT.....if you choose to take the words off the tongue of a snake as gospel, then do it up, partner!!

I have a bit more common sense, and choose to believe it's just a bit TOO CONVENIENT for suave1477 to:

A) Be away from his computer when the emails that were sent to him expressing facts proving the helmet was not Shane Spenser's were sent shortly before his auction ended;

B) That he expects us to believe, being a guy of such high moral character who listed this right-handed batter's helmet as a "Shane Spencer" game used helmet.....er, maybe the wrong year, maybe a different player (WHAT? http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/groan.gif)......that he contacted the winning bidder of this fine piece to make sure he understood what he got?

The only thing I can say about that is.....

"lol lol"

chakes89
10-07-2009, 10:51 PM
What was this thread originally about?

I don't want to wade through the nonsense

suicide_squeeze
10-07-2009, 11:32 PM
What was this thread originally about?

I don't want to wade through the nonsense

I was wondering when you'd add your little chicken dribble, chakes89.

It was about Steiner, and what a great job they were doing while showing what customer service is all about.

But there was a problem with a few forum members here in regards to agreement. Soon, it took a twist to bad N. Y. Yankee stuff in general. And low and behold, suave1477 ended up in the conversation. Go figure.

Sorry you A.D.D. is acting up again. We'll try to keep it more simple for you in the future.

Have a wonderful evening, chakes89.

Your friend,

Steve

suicide_squeeze
10-08-2009, 12:11 AM

You know, TNT, if you really think I was picking and choosing, I'll honor your wishes. The following comments will be my addressing of the facts....err, comments.....suave1477 made. His comments will be in devil red.....and the underlined will be commented on by myself.....mine will be highlighted and enlarged in beautiful black. Enjoy.

As far as me trying to pass off garbage to recoupe some money was never my intent at all and to accuse me of such is in my opinion outright disgusting. I have been a member of this forum for quite some time and have always tried to help anyone I can in this hobby.

Really......wow, impressive. Then why, if you have been a member of this forum for so long, do you need to "gain" additional information on something as simple as an ear flap on a right handed batting helmet being offered by yourself for a left handed star Yankee player? That's elementary. Your comment doesn't hold water.I believe in the book of moral character, that type of statement is found under the "Disingenuous" chapter.

I love/enjoy this hobby very much as I think it is so much fun to obtain an item of a player that may have been a personal hero, favorite player, or a great expereince someone had with that player, etc.....

But the one thing you didn't "establish" was the one headlined in your auction listing: "Shane Spencer" game used helmet. You knew it wasn't, having been a long standing member of the GUU....right? But you claimed you overlooked it??? :rolleyes: Once again.....how convenient for you!

But why don't we jump to the real facts......And by the way, you can thank TNT for this, as he called me out as someone who picks and chooses to only support MY views.....Is it safe to assume this helmet is a leftover from the boatload of garbage you purchased from Steiner years ago, and eventually tried to sell off a bunch of Yankee jerseys with all kinds of issues as "game used" jerseys? Ouch, sorry! TNT.....I warned you......If you guys want to pal up, expect to pay the price.

Yeah....and it still didn't dawn on you while listing the darn thing years later.....How convenient you choose that awesome piece to be one you recently decided to unload. Hell, at this rate, have you ever considered opening up a convenience store???

In fact, if I'm TNToys, I'm to believe the only time you realized it was a problem was when you realized you had been confronted with that 'EARFLAP" fact in emails on your action AFTER it had closed....Hmmmm....

For all we know, the guy who bought it read the posts here, and told you to shove the piece. Who knows what the real truth is.....and quite frankly, who cares except the guy who bid on it. Maybe.....it was a shill bid?? :eek: Maybe that's why you still have this item? Ain't it a BITCH having to deal with this line of questioning? "lol lol"

Nahhh.....guys like you just can't live with the loss. Hence.....your auction

Thanks. http://messenger.msn.com/MMM2006-04-19_17.00/Resource/emoticons/red_smile.gif

TNT......is there anything else I can answer for you?

ndevlin
10-08-2009, 12:18 AM
You know, TNT, if you really think I was picking and choosing, I'll honor your wishes. The following comments will be my addressing of the facts....err, comments.....suave1477 made. His comments will be in devil red.....and the underlined will be commented on by myself.....mine will be highlighted and enlarged in beautiful black. Enjoy.

Really......wow, impressive. Then why, if you have been a member of this forum for so long, do you need to "gain" additional information on something as simple as an ear flap on a right handed batting helmet being offered by yourself for a left handed star Yankee player? That's elementary. Your comment doesn't hold water.I believe in the book of moral character, that type of statement is found under the "Disingenuous" chapter.

I love/enjoy this hobby very much as I think it is so much fun to obtain an item of a player that may have been a personal hero, favorite player, or a great expereince someone had with that player, etc.....

But the one thing you didn't "establish" was the one headlined in your auction listing: "Shane Spencer" game used helmet. You knew it wasn't, having been a long standing member of the GUU....right? But you claimed you overlooked it??? :rolleyes: Once again.....how convenient for you!

But why don't we jump to the real facts......And by the way, you can thank TNT for this, as he called me out as someone who picks and chooses to only support MY views.....Is it safe to assume this helmet is a leftover from the boatload of garbage you purchased from Steiner years ago, and eventually tried to sell off a bunch of Yankee jerseys with all kinds of issues as "game used" jerseys? Ouch, sorry! TNT.....I warned you......If you guys want to pal up, expect to pay the price.

Yeah....and it still didn't dawn on you while listing the darn thing years later.....How convenient you choose that awesome piece to be one you recently decided to unload. Hell, at this rate, have you ever considered opening up a convenience store???

In fact, if I'm TNToys, I'm to believe the only time you realized it was a problem was when you realized you had been confronted with that 'EARFLAP" fact in emails on your action AFTER it had closed....Hmmmm....

For all we know, the guy who bought it read the posts here, and told you to shove the piece. Who knows what the real truth is.....and quite frankly, who cares except the guy who bid on it. Maybe.....it was a shill bid?? :eek: Maybe that's why you still have this item? Ain't it a BITCH having to deal with this line of questioning? "lol lol"

Nahhh.....guys like you just can't live with the loss. Hence.....your auction

Thanks. http://messenger.msn.com/MMM2006-04-19_17.00/Resource/emoticons/red_smile.gif

TNT......is there anything else I can answer for you?

Holy Smokes. Again?? Really?!?

I get tired of these posts. Same old crap, just a different week.

suave1477
10-08-2009, 07:49 AM
You got to admit he is good for entertainment purposes lol lol:D

suave1477
10-08-2009, 08:23 AM
TNT by the way thank you for your input!!

BULBUS
10-08-2009, 08:30 AM
You got to admit he is good for entertainment purposes lol lol:D

No, not really :mad:

chakes89
10-08-2009, 08:49 AM
If your tired of the same old song and dance every week, click Contact Forum Moderator towards the top of the page and voice your opinion.

chakes89
10-08-2009, 08:51 AM
I was wondering when you'd add your little chicken dribble, chakes89.

It was about Steiner, and what a great job they were doing while showing what customer service is all about.

But there was a problem with a few forum members here in regards to agreement. Soon, it took a twist to bad N. Y. Yankee stuff in general. And low and behold, suave1477 ended up in the conversation. Go figure.

Sorry you A.D.D. is acting up again. We'll try to keep it more simple for you in the future.

Have a wonderful evening, chakes89.

Your friend,

Steve
It wasn't that I couldn't understand your higher level posting it's that I don't bother to waste the time reading any of your nonsense anymore

TNTtoys
10-08-2009, 10:42 AM
TNT by the way thank you for your input!!

A thought. Maybe instead of disclosing all of the new information you found out to the buyer (which resulted in the buyer agreeing to back out), you should have offered him a $60.00 Flozell Adams jersey instead.

Seriously, I personally think it is perfectly plausible you were away from your computer. Why else would you willingly accept the added headache of having to pay final value fees, engaging the buyer in additional dialog, cancelling the transaction/filing disputes/mutual cancellations, etc. Why not just cancel bids and end the auction cleanly? that would make far too much sense.

suave1477
10-08-2009, 10:53 AM
TNT because I have absolutely nothing better to do with my time than to sit at my computer for hours to watch one auction end to see if I can screw someone. It is actually a personal enjoyment of mine as I have sold and bought items in this hobby over the years from/for very reputable sources and I was just waiting on one item for years to go by and hopefully unload an item that I can mis lead someone on for $150.

I figured if I waited years on an item and tried to turn a real profit for say $1k that might send up red flags. So instead I waited years to recoupe $150.

I am too stupid because I got caught!!

I knew I should of stopped having other things to do in my life and sit at my computer staring at a screen for hours to wait to see if anyone would send me an email regarding my auction!!! Golly gee what was I thinking. How dare I have a life and have other things to takre care of.

I apologize to the forum I am caught red handed!!!:D :D :D

(Please take all the above in good humor and nothing more)

allstarsplus
10-08-2009, 11:10 AM
This thread got so far off base that I don't want to comment on the thread as much as I want to comment on Steve aka 'Suicide Squeeze'.

Steve may get off track. Steve may have some humor you don't get. Bottomline is Steve is a real honest guy who is sick of all the corruption in the game used business. Lastly, Steve is a very serious and passionate collector.

I once referred to Steve as the Barry Halper of 500 HR Club collecting. He owns some artifacts that would be considered priceless as they are so one-of-a-kind. His collection is museum quality and I don't want to give out too many personal details as the Hall-of-Fame of course wants Steve to donate his collection one day which is how historic his collection is, and yes he owns pieces from the Halper Collection!

I just hope Steve doesn't get too pissed off and never return to the Forum because he is a true asset to this hobby and I am so happy to call him a friend. When I go to Los Angeles for next years All Star game, my first stop is at Steve's home to tour his collection.

Again, we may have to put up with a oddly placed photo of George Bush or a political quip or some classic Suicide Squeeze writings, but it is worth it as his insight on other topics is so good.

suave1477
10-08-2009, 11:17 AM
This thread got so far off base that I don't want to comment on the thread as much as I want to comment on Steve aka 'Suicide Squeeze'.

Steve may get off track. Steve may have some humor you don't get. Bottomline is Steve is a real honest guy who is sick of all the corruption in the game used business. Lastly, Steve is a very serious and passionate collector.

I once referred to Steve as the Barry Halper of 500 HR Club collecting. He owns some artifacts that would be considered priceless as they are so one-of-a-kind. His collection is museum quality and I don't want to give out too many personal details as the Hall-of-Fame of course wants Steve to donate his collection one day which is how historic his collection is, and yes he owns pieces from the Halper Collection!

I just hope Steve doesn't get too pissed off and never return to the Forum because he is a true asset to this hobby and I am so happy to call him a friend. When I go to Los Angeles for next years All Star game, my first stop is at Steve's home to tour his collection.

Again, we may have to put up with a oddly placed photo of George Bush or a political quip or some classic Suicide Squeeze writings, but it is worth it as his insight on other topics is so good.

Andrew I always repected your thoughts and opinions as I do believe you are an asset to this hobby/forum and I can appreciate the passion another member has for the hobby and what he may have in his collection.

But what you collect/own has absolutely nothing to do with a person's character.

To call out someone, slander, insult. When not even knowing the other person is not acceptable by any means regardless of what he has in his collection.

I am sure he has items that would put a collector in awe.

It is more than just a quip that is added. It is outright slander. To basically call a member a liar without saying it or even knowing the person personally. Does not make things ok!!

allstarsplus
10-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Andrew I always repected your thoughts and opinions as I do believe you are an asset to this hobby/forum and I can appreciate the passion another member has for the hobby and what he may have in his collection.

But what you collect/own has absolutely nothing to do with a person's character.

To call out someone, slander, insult. When not even knowing the other person is not acceptable by any means regardless of what he has in his collection.

I am sure he has items that would put a collector in awe.

It is more than just a quip that is added. It is outright slander. To basically call a member a liar without saying it or even knowing the person personally. Does not make things ok!!

And you guys should take your personal differences off of the Forum in those instances.

As far as the helmet issue, I sided with you in my discussion with Steve as I doubt for $150 you had any ill intent especially considering it was a legit Yankees helmet just not used by the person you thought it was. As I said to Steve considering Shane Spencer's career it may have been a negative on the final price ;)

This hobby is not a perfect science and team quality control is horrible so honest mistakes do get made.

To the moderators, time to lock this one up as it has reached past the level of any positive results.

suicide_squeeze
10-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Before the mods lock it up, I just want to know.......

Thanks for the comments, Andrew. My fan club here is probably upset you had anything nice to say about me, but you are right on. I am sick of the corruption in the hobby, and all of the misrepresentation that goes along with it.

And suave.....do you REALLY want to go down the "character" road?

Let's just leave that alone, ok? ......Mr. "long time member" who feels that fact alone is enough to entitle yourself to having good character?

Good character is something that is earned, by one's actions and display of integrity. Keep that in mind, please.