PDA

View Full Version : Mystery 1974 Red Sox Jersey - Tiant?

matt
10-06-2009, 05:41 PM
As a followup to my earlier posts on these jerseys sold at Hunts as Red Sox/Pawsox McAuliffe, I received one today and I find it very interesting. The seller says he bought 20 or so of these from the Pawsox after they had gotten them from the Red Sox. Hunts claimed that the jerseys were once returned to the Red Sox and re-labeled "Boston" over "Pawsox." I find this part hard to beleive.

However, these are defintely jerseys from 1972-1974 and their original numbers match the Red Sox players pretty well for size and number (though not all exact size). You can clearly see the stitching once said PAWSOX and you can also see a bit of the original BOSTON stitching that was first removed. The team says that in 1977, since the Pawtucket team was bankrupt, the Red Sox sent them 48 sets of "old" uni's which the Pawsox then relabaled "PAWSOX" by removing "BOSTON" from the away sets. Could these be soem of those jerseys?

Since the term "PAWSOX" did not exist until 1977 (created due to the jersey crisis -check Wikipedia), it seems to me that these may indeed have been used by the sox in 1972-'74, sent to Pawtucket and relabled (some numbers were also changed) ad used some more. And unfortunately, someone then tried to revert to the BOSTON lettering and used the wrong font, since this is clearly off.

So here is a jersey I bought with #23 from 1974. Tagging is correct, though size for Tiant is off by one (44 instead of 43). I also have a Juan Beniquez (#20) from 1972 with even more wear. There were many other, mostly common players, sold at the Hunts auction. Some would worry that these were ordered from McAuliffe, but that seems ridiculous since they would never order PAWSOX jerseys with players like Juan Beniquex and John Kennedy and then re-stitch them. Did any of you get any other of these lots?

Have any of you seen other jerseys re-tagged by minor league teams after major league use. I am quite interested in what the hell this jersey is...
Matt

diamondicons
07-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Does anyone know if the tagging on the 74 Red Sox jerseys are on the inside front tail or are they the outside front tail. Thanks

Lokee
07-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Does anyone know if the tagging on the 74 Red Sox jerseys are on the inside front tail or are they the outside front tail. Thanks

74 they appeared on the inside front tail.

sox83cubs84
07-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Pretty hideous restoration of BOSTON. It reminds me of one I purchased over 20 years ago with the same cruddy restoration job...a 1974 road Juan Marichal.