PDA

View Full Version : Richmond's new baseball team - we need your help!

Vintagedeputy
10-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Richmond has finally gotten a new AA baseball team and the team is holding a "name the team" contest. The 5 names they chose are absolutely idiotic and have no ties to Richmond. There is a huge public outcry over the names chosen, like Hambones and Flatheads.

I submitted the name Richmond Artillery and the name is catching on amongst alot of people. It is a name that has huge ties to Richmond's history. There is one opportunity left - CNBC has gotten involved and is taking suggestions for a wild card name. They will then select from the 6 names. Please take a moment and email "Richmond Artillery" as your choice of baseball team names to sportsbiz@cnbc.com (sportsbiz@cnbc.com). Names must be submitted by 9pm tonight. Send an email from every email address that you have! Send this to everyone you know!

Thanks!

Jim

sox83cubs84
10-07-2009, 12:20 PM
E-mail sent (to cnbc).

Dave m.
Chicago area

Vintagedeputy
10-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks!

eisenreich8
10-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Will do tonight Jim. Being into Civil War history, I like the CW theme you propose. Very fitting.

And it beats calling them the Richmond Chimborazos, for example!

5kRunner
10-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Sent.

Hope its chosen.

Vintagedeputy
10-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks gang!

I sent them an email with a ton of marketing ideas as well, like firing off a cannon when an Artilleryman hits a homer, or having the players (and fans) wear kepi hats with the crossed cannons.

I cant possibly root for the rhinos or hambones or flatheads....that would be a dumb choice if they picked that.

Sincityson
10-07-2009, 03:08 PM
I sent one in as well! Great name choice!

Sincityson
10-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Who decided on these:

Richmond Flatheads
Richmond Flying Squirrels
Richmond Hambones
Richmond Rhinos
Richmond Rock Hoppers

The only one of those that seems ok to me, is rhinos.

Rock hoppers? Very very bad idea.

Vintagedeputy
10-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Who decided on these:

Richmond Flatheads
Richmond Flying Squirrels
Richmond Hambones
Richmond Rhinos
Richmond Rock Hoppers

The only one of those that seems ok to me, is rhinos.

Rock hoppers? Very very bad idea.

Yep, thats the problem. The names suck.

Keep voting for Artillery! We need as many emails to that wild card selection as we can get!

allstarsplus
10-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Remember when we had the Washington Bullets and the public outcry to change the name. Love your suggestion!!!!! Richmond Artillery

Vintagedeputy
10-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks Andrew!

Keep the votes coming! We need to swarm their mailbox by 9pm tonight - sportsbiz@cnbc.com

mwbosoxfan
10-07-2009, 05:56 PM
E-mail sent. This would be a good name for the team. Hope it works.

sox83cubs84
10-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Remember when we had the Washington Bullets and the public outcry to change the name. Love your suggestion!!!!! Richmond Artillery

The name is great....I just hope that Artillery doesn't get shut down the way Bullets did by the PC Police (who are nosier and more annoying than ever under the current administration).

Dave M.
Chicago area

Vintagedeputy
10-07-2009, 11:17 PM
The name is great....I just hope that Artillery doesn't get shut down the way Bullets did by the PC Police (who are nosier and more annoying than ever under the current administration).

Dave M.
Chicago area

The Potomac Cannons survived pretty well so I'm hopeful.

mwbosoxfan
10-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Published: October 7, 2009
The finalists for Richmond's Class AA baseball franchise in a name-the-team contest weren't big hits with the public, based on hundreds of comments received yesterday by the Times-Dispatch. Chuck Domino can handle it.
"This is great. Nothing like stirring emotion," said the franchise's chief executive manager. "Richmond will soon learn that we aren't afraid to stick our necks out there and have some fun and take our shots."
Among the approximately 6,000 submissions were repeat entries that carried substantial support, according to Domino. But he said none of those nominations fits what eight front-office members who collectively selected the finalists -- Flatheads, Flying Squirrels, Hambones, Rock Hoppers and Rhinos -- had in mind.
"We got a lot of names that made me yawn, a lot of names that would have been very popular," said Domino. "We could have said 'Rapids.' We could have said 'Rebels.' We could have said 'Virginians.'
"But to me, totally boring, not what we represent. We represent obtuse, fun, off-beat, you name it. We're not your grandfather's minor-league front office, I can guarantee you that."
The process was expanded yesterday afternoon to make room for a sixth entry. Domino said CNBC unexpectedly expressed interest in identifying a wild-card candidate. Darren Rovell, CNBC's sports business reporter, said his company wanted "to get our readers, on cnbc.com, involved in the process."
Domino said he welcomed the national exposure and believes it will make the process "more interesting." To submit an entry, e-mail sportsbiz@cnbc.com (sportsbiz@cnbc.com) today from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. CNBC will choose its wild-card suggestion tomorrow morning. Rovell projected that CNBC would receive about 200 submissions.
"Someone could say, 'There are five ideas from Richmond and now you're going to throw in something else and then that could win, and that's not part of our heritage,'" Rovell said. "I think people can make that case, and I understand that. But I think there's also the case that can be made that maybe there is some other name out there, when you expand the base of people, that could be a cooler name."
Said Domino: "I like the [candidates] we have, but I'm open to a sixth one. Maybe it will blow us away."
Among those who contacted the Times-Dispatch regarding the five finalists already announced was Guy Kinman, 91 and a Richmond resident since 1960. The longtime Richmond Braves' supporter applauded club operators for thinking outside of the box. "I'm thrilled they have a sense of humor," said Kinman.
Many of those commenting on the finalists agreed with Scott Smyth, who said he wanted a choice of nicknames "associated with Richmond."
Domino and seven front-office members evaluated public suggestions. He said he left his co-workers with these basic instructions:
"We want to have something that's going to lend itself well to a logo, lend itself well to multiple mascots, be something that people are going to scratch their heads about. And something that would lend itself well to merchandise that would last the test of time for kids' merchandise. That's where the key is, selling kids' merchandise.
"Adults will buy their one T-shirt, one hat, every couple of years. Parents are going to buy their kids multiple items, for gifts, for whatever, as they grow, as they go into different sizes. So you want something that's going to lend itself well to kids' merchandise."
Each of the eight front-office members identified five finalists. Of those 40 possibilities, 20 were repeats. Domino said he and his staff took the 20 and "just kept going around the room discussing the pros and cons of each. And then we whittled it down, whittled it down, whittled it down until we got to these five that seemed to fit the criteria.
"I told them, 'We're going to get killed.'"
Domino realized that the approach taken by the front office may not immediately appeal to area baseball supporters. He called some of the negative reaction "predictable" because it came from people whose submissions were rejected.
Despite criticism, Domino said the process continues, with the added wild-card dimension. One of the five finalists, each entered by the public, or the wild card will be the name of Richmond's Eastern League team.
The franchise encourages voting for one of the finalists, though the top vote-getter may not match the franchise's choice, scheduled to be announced by a week from Thursday.
Domino is president of the Triple-A Lehigh Valley IronPigs, a nickname connected to that area's steel industry. Domino said that when IronPigs was chosen from about 5,000 submissions to complete a name-the-team contest, the public overwhelmingly disapproved of the distinctive name.
"Everybody hated it, but we set some kind of record for merchandise sales," Domino said. "Now, you can't go anywhere up there without somebody wearing a pig nose, a hat with pigtails on it. It's incredible how popular that name has become."

Vintage, Heard any results yet?

Vintagedeputy
10-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Hush Puppies.....

@#$%^&* hush puppies!

9000 wild card entries and they selected hush puppies. A fat greasy ball of dough not even served anywhere in Richmond.

hiramman
10-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Nice name for a pair of shoes!

ironmanfan
10-08-2009, 03:19 PM
The new nickname will grow on you....A couple years ago, the new local AAA team was nicknamed the "IronPigs" and everyone thought it was worst nickname in the world.....Two years later, it's widely accepted and part of the local culture......(couldn't even tell you what the runnerup nicknames were anymore).

ironmanfan
10-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Ooops, didn't realize that the IronPigs reference was used in that article

Sincityson
10-08-2009, 04:05 PM
What a joke this process has become. Hush Puppies?? That's just plain ridiculous and stupid. Your name suggestion was way better.

It'll likely be flatheads or rhinos, I can't see any of the others being taken seriously.

SCS

LastingsMilledge85
10-08-2009, 06:34 PM
About the new Richmond team, what is the former team that is moving here? Who are they affiliated with?

metsbats
10-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Not a name which will strike fear in the hearts of the opposing team.

Sorry your nickname was not picked Jim.

Vintagedeputy
10-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone....I really thought that I had a chance with Artillery.

The team coming here is the former Conn. Defenders, AA for the Giants.

Sincityson
10-08-2009, 08:50 PM
About the new Richmond team, what is the former team that is moving here? Who are they affiliated with?

They are affiliated with the Giants and are formerly the Coneticut Defenders.

LastingsMilledge85
10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Why did they decide to relocate?

allstarsplus
10-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks everyone....I really thought that I had a chance with Artillery.

The team coming here is the former Conn. Defenders, AA for the Giants.

What are they thinking with that weak name. I hope they have a great logo in mind as it worked for the shoe company but not so great for that fried yummy treat!

Vintagedeputy
10-09-2009, 02:45 PM
In 2012, they'll be the Richmond Nationals and this will all be forgotten.

Capital-Sports
10-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Artillery would have been a great name.

I was arty in the Marines firing 155mm's up to 18 miles!

Vintagedeputy
10-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Well, they decided.

Flying Squirrels

I'm sooooo embarassed to be from Richmond right now.

allstarsplus
10-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Jim - Hushpuppies or some of the other names of the 6 were worse. Flying Squirrels may make for some good jokes on local radio!

Vintagedeputy
10-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Jim - Hushpuppies or some of the other names of the 6 were worse. Flying Squirrels may make for some good jokes on local radio!

We're already a joke! The uproar over this is tremendous!

Chris78
10-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Hey, at least your not the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs. That was the name chosen here a couple of years ago.

I do like the name Richmond Artillery more than the Richmond Flying Squirrels. Too bad it was not chosen -- as I see a lot of AA games especially at Reading.

Chris