PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Names

skyking26
10-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Maybe I'm a purist, and I know I'll draw criticism here, but it angers me every time I see or hear a ballpark named after a corporation... What makes me more upset is when the park's name changes after several years, example Skydome to Roger's Centre...Jacob's Field to Progressive Field... If a stadium is named then leave it alone.

I know, Navin Field to Brigg's to Tiger Stadium. I know, Wrigley Field is/was the chewing gum company... One thing when it is named after a corp., the changes just tick me off.

Anybody on board, or am I alone??

RK

staindsox
10-08-2009, 04:43 PM
I think the same exact thing. I don't even remember the new names when there is a change. I still call them Comiskey, SkyDome, Jacobs Field, etc. I have to say that I hate the Yankees, but I completely tip my hat to them for keeping the old name with the new stadium when it would have made them a ton of money selling it to a corportation. I thought that was fantastic.

skyking26
10-08-2009, 04:50 PM
I think the same exact thing. I don't even remember the new names when there is a change. I still call them Comiskey, SkyDome, Jacobs Field, etc. I have to say that I hate the Yankees, but I completely tip my hat to them for keeping the old name with the new stadium when it would have made them a ton of money selling it to a corportation. I thought that was fantastic.
I feel the same about the Yankees decision on park name. A tip of the cap exposing my grey head...........:eek:

whatupyos
10-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Bob,

I'm with you, and I'm only 29. Candlestick is and was always Candlestick to me, Pac Bell Park is the same, not At&T or what ever other names it had. Its the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum, not McAfee or whatever else it was. I hate the corporate names, unless however, that was the original name of the stadium.

Aaron

Mauer7
10-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I agree, we should still call the new twins stadium the metrodome. :rolleyes:

skyking26
10-08-2009, 05:27 PM
I agree, we should still call the new twins stadium the metrodome. :rolleyes:
You can if ya want to Mauer. Nobody will blame you. What's the new name going to be?

Mauer7
10-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Target Field

Rob L
10-08-2009, 06:01 PM
It killed me when Angels Stadium became Edison Field. Even with that name change, most around here still referred to it as the Big A. At least it's back to Angel Stadium now.

godwulf
10-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I've always just said, "The ballpark" - never paid much attention when my local one was called "Bank One Ballpark", or "The BOB" (entirely too cute). Now that it's "Chase Field", it's a little less annoying; I think it sounds like an airfield.

When they were soliciting bids for naming rights on the Arizona Cardinals stadium in Glendale, for a while it looked like the owners of a local restaurant were going to be the winners, but somebody put the kabosh on their bid, and the name "Pink Taco Stadium". Now that's a shame.

allstarsplus
10-08-2009, 07:54 PM
So long as they don't put advertisements on their jerseys like the golfers and auto racers I can generally deal with it.

I say this watching (on TV) the green screen Taco Bell rolling ad at the Dodgers game behind home plate.....

Stadium naming rights is just another form of advertising. Almost a necessary evil for most franchises to raise money. There isn't a larger single revenue generator that a team can do on their own than stadium naming rights.

coxfan
10-09-2009, 05:46 AM
If we were the ones balancing the budget, we'd probably regard it as a necessary evil. But what I can't get used to is adding sponsors to college bowl games that have had traditional names for decades. The Nokia Sugar Bowl, was it? A lot of the corporate names for Bowls have nothing to do with the traditional name, and it thus seem incongruous to put them together in the Bowl's name.

Plus, if a sponsor backs out, re-naming can be awkward. When Ameriquest backed out of sponsoring the Rangers' stadium, the road signs on the Interstate continued to read "Ameriquest" for awhile after they were gone.

sox83cubs84
10-09-2009, 11:53 AM

A lot of White Sox fans agree with you regarding the Comiskey name, staindsox. I am one of them. The new corporate name (U.S. Cellular Field) even spawned a sarcastic stadium name a few years ago..."The Joan", referring to Chicago-born actress Joan Cusack, who was the spokeswoman on U.S. Cellular's TV and print advertising for a few years).

Dave M.
Chicago area

suave1477
10-09-2009, 11:54 AM
So long as they don't put advertisements on their jerseys like the golfers and auto racers I can generally deal with it.

I say this watching (on TV) the green screen Taco Bell rolling ad at the Dodgers game behind home plate.....

Stadium naming rights is just another form of advertising. Almost a necessary evil for most franchises to raise money. There isn't a larger single revenue generator that a team can do on their own than stadium naming rights.

Andrew I don't think they are too far from doing that. When I was at the Team Canada Vs. Yankees Spring Training games. I noticed a patch on there Jersey. I asked one of the players what the patch represented or what it was. He said "It was an advertisement from some hardware store/company in canada. They paid for the Jerseys"

If you noticed other WBC teams did basically the same.

I am sure it would be only a matter of time before MLB catches on to this and you start seeing Home Depot, HBO, Dunkin Donuts, Kentucky Fried Chicken Patches on the Jerseys!!

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/88236915.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19356863F2C054EB266E7C8C81325168D56 A46BB8D1E5A89175
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/85349341.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B946C5A518E7D4C1AD53F429CB441749 E30A760B0D811297

TNTtoys
10-09-2009, 01:18 PM
No better than the renaming of stadiums based on a large donation by the sponsor was the naming of specific College Bowl games...

Who could ever forget the Poulan Weed-Eater Bowl ???