Incredible Alworth San Diego Chargers Jersey on eBay!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • both-teams-played-hard
    • Nov 2005

Incredible Alworth San Diego Chargers Jersey on eBay!

Super rare jersey...seller is completely trustworthy!
  • Eric
    • Jan 1970

Re: Incredible Alworth San Diego Chargers Jersey on eBay!

Looks amazing. Can you tell me your observations about the jersey?
    What do you know about the seller?
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• BoneRubbedBat
      • Jul 2005

I have purchased MANY items from that seller without a single problem. He's here in Texas, and lists alot of Astros/Colt .45's items as well as Texas League items. I have purchased a few jerseys, and all have been superb.

Marcus
      sigpic

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
        • Nov 2005

My research tells me the Alworth jersey was used in the 1963 or 1964 season. It appears to be made of a lightweight stretchy nylon knit. Not thick "doubleknit" or thick durene or dureen. It appears from the ad I posted and other photos that the "blue" SD jerseys were durene, but not the white.
        In 1963 and 1964 the Chargers white jerseys used a smaller font on the front and back numerals. I have found photos of SD players from the era with front and back numbers as small as the Alworth. In some photos, the front and back numbers seem like the exact same size. In 1965, the Chargers changed numeral fonts-not as stylized and MUCH larger. The small numbers may have been hard to see on T.V. This jersey was originally "elbow length", then trimmed. The lightweight knit and durene variations could be attributed to hot and cold weather use.

Comment

• trsent
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

Ok, bold predictions, where do you think the bidding will end for this jersey? Right now there is still a week to go.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by trsent
            Ok, bold predictions, where do you think the bidding will end for this jersey? Right now there is still a week to go.
            I'll guess 3 Gs...at least twice that with the original NOB. The question is...what will it get from the auction house when it is consigned by the eBay buyer? In November, I was closely watching a Fran Tarkenton durene on eBay. The seller didn't sell sports stuff, and made a poor listing that wasn't seen by many. I was prepared to spend $1,500. It sold for $1,700. The buyer consigned it to AMI. AMI sold it for $27,000. Yes that's what I said....twenty-seven thousand dollars. Needless to say, I had regrets.

Comment

• EndzoneSports
              • Nov 2005

It just goes to show that, despite all the cr*p that one is forced to wade through on eBay, the occasional gem does rise to the surface. An example, which makes a case for doing your homework and knowing what it is that you're looking for...

A recent eBay listing (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8804525118) somewhat clandestinely described a jersey as an "Authentic Vintage Broncos Practice Jersey Number 87". Aware that the the Broncos didn't start purchasing dedicated practice jerseys, until the early to mid-70s, any practice jerseys from the late '60s were usually recycled game jerseys from the previous season(s). Matching the unique style specifically to the 1967-'68 period, uni #87 was worn then by Broncos' Ring of Famer Rich "Tombstone" Jackson. With these clues being sleuthed out by only one other astute bidder, I was able to obtain this well-worn piece for what I considered a bargain price (considering a "common" Broncos Durene jersey from this same era recently sold for $2,315 at one of the major auction houses).

Lesson to be learned is keep your eyes open and study, study, study.

And just in case anyone is curious... No, the Jackson jersey (http://pscoggin.com/Endzone/Graphics...JacksonR_f.jpg) is not for sale and will not be consigned to one of the auction houses' upcoming events.

Best Regards,

Patrick W. Scoggin
              Endzone Sports Charities
              www.EndzoneSportsCharities.org

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by EndzoneSports
                Matching the unique style specifically to the 1967-'68 period, uni #87 was worn then by Broncos' Ring of Famer Rich "Tombstone" Jackson.
                Great find, Patrick! Glad to see it is in the hands of a true Broncos fan...

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                  • Nov 2005

The seller of the Alworth has added this information to the listing:
                  On Jun-05-06 at 08:12:44 PDT, seller added the following information:

JUST SPOKE WITH NOTED GAME WORN JERSEY AND AFL FOOTBALL EXPERT LOU LAMPSON, AND HE BELIEVES THIS LANCE ALWORTH SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GAME WORN JERSEY IS FROM 1963.

Comment

• Eric
                    • Jan 1970

How the heck did he talk to Lou Lampson? I know a lot of people who would like to talk to Lou Lampson (see numerous threads on $4000 St. Patrick's Day Cal Ripken jersey w/ Lampson Letter- the style never existed)

Comment

• hblakewolf
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

eric-
                      Is it possible that Lampson contacted the Ebay seller and wanted to know if he was also interested in buying a green St. Patrick's Alworth jersey with his LOA, too?

Howard Wolf
                      hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Comment

• norristrophy
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Eric
                        How the heck did he talk to Lou Lampson? I know a lot of people who would like to talk to Lou Lampson (see numerous threads on $4000 St. Patrick's Day Cal Ripken jersey w/ Lampson Letter- the style never existed)
                        I met him at the National once...he had a booth.

Comment

• Eric
                          • Jan 1970

Final bidding ended at US $13,501.00 Wow!!

Comment

• trsent
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Eric
                            Final bidding ended at US $13,501.00 Wow!!
                            Yeah, and a few minutes before the auction ended I received the email below:

-------- Original Message --------
                            Subject: eBay direct offer Item # 8821698392 Buy it now
                            Date: Mon, June 12, 2006 2:03 pm
                            To: joel@alpert.net

Message from eBay Member nike.park

I saw that you are interested to buy an 1960s LANCE ALWORTH SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GAME WORN JERSEY. I have
                            the same item for sale brand new and with full warranty available for
                            US $900.00. I want you to know that i will pay the insurance fee. If you
                            want to buy this item please reply at this e-mail:nike.park@hotmail.com
                            Thank You and have a nice day.

================================================== =

This request is related to item # 8821698392.

Marketplace Safety Tips

Never respond to an unsolicited email that includes incentives to buy or sell an item off the eBay Marketplace. If you get such an email, please report it to eBay at http://www.ebay.ph/helpTSForm.

Never pay for your eBay item through instant cash transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram - such services offer Internet shoppers no protection against fraud.

Note: Immediately contact Rules & Safety http://www.ebay.ph/help?page=helpPolicies if one of eBay's rules were violated, such as:

- Your contact information was used for purposes unrelated to eBay business, published online or offline, or was used for the purposes of harassment.

- You received contact information that you believe to be erroneous.

Thank you for using eBay!

http://www.ebay.ph/

I assume all bidders on this jersey received the same email. Needless to say, the guy is from ebay.ph which must be The Philippines.

Comment

• norristrophy
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by trsent
                              Yeah, and a few minutes before the auction ended I received the email below:

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: eBay direct offer Item # 8821698392 Buy it now
                              Date: Mon, June 12, 2006 2:03 pm
                              To: joel@alpert.net

Message from eBay Member nike.park

I saw that you are interested to buy an 1960s LANCE ALWORTH SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GAME WORN JERSEY. I have
                              the same item for sale brand new and with full warranty available for
                              US $900.00. I want you to know that i will pay the insurance fee. If you
                              want to buy this item please reply at this e-mail:nike.park@hotmail.com
                              Thank You and have a nice day.

This request is related to item # 8821698392.

Marketplace Safety Tips

Never respond to an unsolicited email that includes incentives to buy or sell an item off the eBay Marketplace. If you get such an email, please report it to eBay at http://www.ebay.ph/helpTSForm.

Never pay for your eBay item through instant cash transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram - such services offer Internet shoppers no protection against fraud.

Note: Immediately contact Rules & Safety http://www.ebay.ph/help?page=helpPolicies if one of eBay's rules were violated, such as:

- Your contact information was used for purposes unrelated to eBay business, published online or offline, or was used for the purposes of harassment.

- You received contact information that you believe to be erroneous.

Thank you for using eBay!

I assume all bidders on this jersey received the same email. Needless to say, the guy is from ebay.ph which must be The Philippines.

Joel,

You should definitely get the full warranty with this jersey like he suggests...these things'll rust up on yah like you wouldn't believe.

Comment

Working...