PDA

View Full Version : $7000 Pujols glove- Wow!

thomecollector
10-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Wow! Someone really wanted this one.:eek:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220487412708&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

skyking26
10-11-2009, 11:22 AM
At some point people need to get priority's straight and get real. Whoever spent $7K on this glove must be doing some real good drugs. When they sober up, they'll be looking for more drugs....

We all have our GU addictions, but get real. If it did not sell at that, seller should sober up too. Stuff like that makes me want to leave the hobby.

Masimen
10-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I am the first to admit that is a lot of dough to drop on that item, but when you look at the cost of his game used bats it makes sense. If Pujols bats are regularly going in the neighborhood of 2k, 7 doesn't seem out of line for a glove considering the relative scarcity compared to bats.

whatupyos
10-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Plus, I'm sure if he dropped 7K on the glove, he could afford to drop 7K on a glove. Usually people who pay high prices can do so because they can.

metsbats
10-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Would the fact that it's an early glove and not a first baseman's glove warrant the premium price? 2001-2003 Pujols played 3rd and outfield prior to becoming the Cards permanent first baseman in 2004.

thomecollector
10-11-2009, 12:27 PM
This may be true. I thought $2100 for one of Thome's last game used /first Sox gloves was high. But, I guess it's all about how bad you want it. Every time I look at it ,I get warm and fuzzy inside.:D

suicide_squeeze
10-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Pretty big score for the seller.

I am particularly curious as to what the buyer found in his research before buying the glove. Although I cannot tell with certainty, the two pictures chosen showing the glove style by the seller do not constitute a photo match beyond any wild imagination. The one of Pujols jumping at the wall IMO doesn't appear to have the light tan interior hide. The other one shows Pujols chatting with Mike Soscia at batting practice. So, is it a batting practice/warm-up glove? Most of the star players use different gloves for practice than in the game.....don't they?

The glove, although appearing to be a fine professional model glove, also comes with nothing more than a signature, and a letter from an authenticator giving his "opinion".

We all know where that will take you. Hell, I lose friends every time I give mine on anything. So really, what I am saying is, if this buyer found out something he did his homework on, and it is a true Pujols early gamer, it would well be worth the $7K. I don't see any proof at all based on the ebay auction. The seller has given no chain of possession, no explanation of where it came from, no info on how it was obtained.......nothing. Just his little verse on players gloves and their "rarity". It is not identified by Pujols himself with the signature on the glove, it has no inscription.....for all anyone knows, it could be a game issued to Pujols, who gave it to a family member.

So in my opinion, void of his own discovery of proof like a photo match up close of it on pujols hand, the buyer has taken quite a leap of faith spending that amount of coin on that glove. I hope he doesn't find any nasty evidence later that lessons the value of it, because that is not just a sports game used collectible he bought.....it's an investment. Here's to hoping it doesn't turn out to be an Enron for the guy.

spartakid
10-11-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm sure the reason it went so high is because of the Taube COA. The big name authenticators make a lot of collectors much more comfortable. Most of these people have a lot of money to spend, and don't have any desire to do homework on items, and pay a premium for someone else to do it, or so I believe due to the fact that unfortuantely I'm not one of those people with money to do this sort of thing.:rolleyes:

thomecollector
10-11-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm sure the reason it went so high is because of the Taube COA. The big name authenticators make a lot of collectors much more comfortable. Most of these people have a lot of money to spend, and don't have any desire to do homework on items, and pay a premium for someone else to do it, or so I believe due to the fact that unfortuantely I'm not one of those people with money to do this sort of thing.:rolleyes:
That is true as well. I sent my Thome to Denny Esken after I got it. Even though I got it through a trusted source. I even contacted Wilson about the date code. I was told it was made in Dec. O5. One of these days I'll get this photoshop thing down to post some pics.:(