PDA

View Full Version : Yankees over Twins!

skyking26
10-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Don't want to appear a Yankees fan. Actually I could have cared less what happens here; but it was just common sense that neither the Tigers or Twins were suitable opponents for the Yankees....

Now that the Twins are gone, I hope the ghost of the young deseased pitched can propel them by NY. I doubt it will happen, but it would be good for baseball.

markize
10-11-2009, 10:50 PM
As a Yankee fan, I'm happy they beat the Twins, and obviously hope they keep going. The Twins made tons of base running mistakes in this series. They came in off a draining one game playoff with the Tigers, and that may have played against them. I will ignore the bad call on the foul ball/ground rule double as they still had the bases loaded with no outs and didn't get it done. The problem with the Angels is that they have tough pitching, and handled the Yankees on more than one occasion this year. They have a great lineup, and are all hitters. As far as storylines go, the Yankees are making a playoff run in the new stadium, but the Nick Adenheart (sp) story is much more compelling, and heartwarming. I know there is always the money issue, but the games are played on the field, especially this time of year. There sure won't be a Yankees sweep, but I'll bee rooting for one.

Mark

Vintagedeputy
10-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Gardy looked like he was going to rip his hair out for most of the series. The baserunning mistakes by the Twinkies were stupid.

BTW, if you were never a Jeter fan, you should be after those 3 games. I've followed Jeter closely since he came up and in these 3 games, he showed me again why he is without a doubt, a first ballot HOF. The man was born to play baseball.

skyking26
10-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I think the Angels/Yankees match up with be more suitable, more of an even match...

I agree, Jeter is 1st ballot all the way.

I'm still sticking with my prediction: Yankees over Dodgers in 6, but may not take that long.

joelsabi
10-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I think the Angels/Yankees match up with be more suitable, more of an even match...

I agree, Jeter is 1st ballot all the way.

I'm still sticking with my prediction: Yankees over Dodgers in 6, but may not take that long.

I am not looking ahead just yet either. Only thing worrying me about the Yanks is their dependency on the long ball when playing catch up. In game 2, why wont Damon try to bunt over a runner, especially when hes slumping. Angels are willing to play small ball and practice it all season.

LastingsMilledge85
10-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Angels in the outfield. That's all I can think about, a movie that is will be a reality.

suicide_squeeze
10-12-2009, 11:10 AM
I am not looking ahead just yet either. Only thing worrying me about the Yanks is their dependency on the long ball when playing catch up. In game 2, why wont Damon try to bunt over a runner, especially when hes slumping. Angels are willing to play small ball and practice it all season.

Excellent point, and the whole reason I keep saying the Dodgers will be there in the World Series to beat......that's the question.

Will the Yankees be able to beat the extremely well managed Angels, playing with their hearts? It ought to be a great series, but you Yankee fans better hold onto your hats. There could very well be another sweep left in the play-offs, and you may not like who ends up on the winning side.

That said, I'm still hoping the 1/2 Billion dollar club shows up and the series is between the Dodgers and Yankees.....I want to see Torre take his best shot at Steinbrenner.....one for "old time's sake".

Dewey2007
10-12-2009, 11:26 AM
I think the ALCS depends a lot on which of the modern day playoff underacheiver/choker (Vlad or Arod) continues to hit in October.

Sure you each had a nice ALDS but can you continue to do it when the stakes are just a little higher...

bigtime59
10-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Ooooh! The team with the 200MM annual payroll, which committed almost half a billion dollars to free agents in the off-season, beat the team with the $65MM payroll. Shocking. Absolutely shocking.
I hope the Angels run the arms off the Yankee$ catchers.

yanks12025
10-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Ooooh! The team with the 200MM annual payroll, which committed almost half a billion dollars to free agents in the off-season, beat the team with the $65MM payroll. Shocking. Absolutely shocking.
I hope the Angels run the arms off the Yankee$ catchers.

Keep talking about how your jealous of the yankees. Again if your team had the money you would want them to do the same thing.

bigtime59
10-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Keep talking about how your jealous of the yankees. Again if your team had the money you would want them to do the same thing.

The point is that--in a sports league--no one team should be able to spend more than three times what their opponent is spending on payroll! In a sports league, revenues are supposed to be shared equally among all members of the league, not randomly distributed by accident of geography.
But your team is the one that benefits most from MLB's 19th-century, Rube Goldberg clusterf*** of a revenue distribution "system", so I suppose you think that's the way things are supposed to be.

joelsabi
10-13-2009, 08:29 PM
The point is that--in a sports league--no one team should be able to spend more than three times what their opponent is spending on payroll! In a sports league, revenues are supposed to be shared equally among all members of the league, not randomly distributed by accident of geography.
But your team is the one that benefits most from MLB's 19th-century, Rube Goldberg clusterf*** of a revenue distribution "system", so I suppose you think that's the way things are supposed to be.

it would be nice if there was a salary cap but so far it hasnt happen in baseball.

so far it has happened in basketball and football. i have never heard a writer or an announcer try to invalidate any championship prior to the salarycap for basketball or football. no one is discounting any of the early celtic championships or packer championships. it is what it is unless the rules change.

bigtime59
10-14-2009, 06:01 PM
it would be nice if there was a salary cap but so far it hasnt happen in baseball.

so far it has happened in basketball and football. i have never heard a writer or an announcer try to invalidate any championship prior to the salarycap for basketball or football. no one is discounting any of the early celtic championships or packer championships. it is what it is unless the rules change.

Not a salary cap! Revenue distribution! A salary cap without addressing the revenue distribution imbalances simply makes the rich teams more profitable. MLB spent most of its existence with a "salary cap". It was called the Reserve Clause and it did a damned fine job of suppressing players' salaries while the Yankee$ used their financial leverage to dominate the American League for...well until CBS bought 'em and demonstrated they had no idea how to run a baseball team.