Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CampWest
    • May 2008

OT: Workplace Athlete Sightings - Today's George Brett - share yours

George Brett is sitting in my office's cafeteria...

Spotting an athlete/celebrity is not a first at my office, though being in KC we don't have a ton of guys stay in town in retirement. That said, I work for a large investment advisor, so we do see a lot of traffic.

Some regulars are Chiefs Legend Safety Deron Cherry and former Chiefs QB Trent Green. Couple times a year I see Gale Sayers - he's on some of our mutual fund boards. Lance Armstrong a couple times, we have a branding arrangement with LIVESTRONG... Saw Marcus Allen once years ago and just missed Joe Montana another time.

And then there is George... I've seen him here before, he's kind of a regular. But usually just an elevator ride at the most as he comes in for some meetings but usually keeps a fairly low profile...

Today, he's all lounged out eating lunch with one of our sales people, going over his investments. But what is shocking is he's sitting right in the middle of the cafeteria. There's no privacy where they're sitting and its difficult to leave the cafeteria without walking right past him. Usually, I'd expect them to find a table in the back corner.

Anyhow all this begs the question: Why do I never have a baseball when I need one? And is this a sign that I need to reconsider the Brett gu bat purchase I was mulling over this morning?

Oh well. I wouldn't have interrupted them anyhow, and would probably get bored waiting for them to get up to leave.

Anybody have any good workplace athlete sightings?
    sigpic
    Wes Campbell
  • eisenreich8
    • Jun 2007

Re: OT: Workplace Athlete Sightings - Today's George Brett - share yours

Bobby Orr sat on my company's board of directors ca. 1988 and I chatted with him in our R&D center lobby.

That's it at work though!

Comment

• cjw
      • Oct 2006

Working for 10 years at Toronto's SkyDome Hotel, I had daily (in season) and weekly (off season) sightings and personal interactions with athletes such as Hank Aaron, Roger Clemens, Dave Winfield, Robbie Alomar, Kobe and Shaq, Vince Carter, Carlos Delgado, Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle...etc. Many stories, a few autographs and some game used gear obtained. chris
      WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
        • Oct 2005

I worked in a hotel years ago in NJ and shared an elevator ride with Jennifer Capriotti. The hotel sponsored a tennis match.

Comment

• CampWest
          • May 2008

When I was 15, I worked at one of those fancy car washes, for about 9 days... Based on the location near the part of the suburbs where most of the players lived, it was pretty much an endless stream of Chiefs and Royals players. I got to drive Derrick Thomas's car, etc. Most of the guys were really nice, but surprisingly several were very poor tippers.
          sigpic
          Wes Campbell

Comment

• whatupyos
            Banned
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Vintagedeputy
            I worked in a hotel years ago in NJ and shared an elevator ride with Jennifer Capriotti. The hotel sponsored a tennis match.

Vintage:

My best friend was supposed to be Jennifer's personal trainer a few years ago but he had no room in his busy schedule. I always made fun of him for not fitting her in. You have to fit someone like that in.

Aaron

Comment

• whatupyos
              Banned
              • Dec 2005

I had the pleasure of meeting Paul Molitor at my old job. It was a bio tech company and he does work for one of the drugs that we made. His father had a lung disease I believe and he came to speak. I got to meet him after his speach. He's a nice guy. I shook his hand and thanked him for the way he played the game....with class. He looked up surprised and was pleased that a young person like me appreciated his style of play.

Aaron

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by whatupyos
                Vintage:

My best friend was supposed to be Jennifer's personal trainer a few years ago but he had no room in his busy schedule. I always made fun of him for not fitting her in. You have to fit someone like that in.

Aaron
                Yeah she's a cutie!

Comment

• ksuchad
                  • Oct 2008

Warren Spahn Used to come into the Ace Hardware I worked at in Broken Arrow Oklahoma. John Smiley comes into my lumber yard when he's hunting here in kansas.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2009

Before I dated my current and only wife, a girlfriend and I (we worked in different bureaus of the same Federal agency) used our lunch break to roam around and dine at Water Tower Place on Chicago's Michigan Ave. We stepped on an escalator, looked up, and two steps above us was Bob Gibson. I didn't have a baseball, so we just said hi (of course, she had no clue who Bob Gibson was).

Dave M.
                    Chicago area

Comment

• TAFKADixie
                      • Oct 2008

Jim Youngblood (former Ram) works with me at my current job. I used to work at a local sporting goods store and a few guys most have never heard of came in fairly frequently i.e. Dexter Davis (Cards) and Jeff Davis (Bucs) and one you probably have, Jay Haas.
                      You can see my entire Clemson Tigers collection here with over 30 items.

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a83...eys/?start=all

SamFinley@charter.net

Comment

• Fraudfinder!!
                        • Nov 2005

OK i am in my office and I look out my window and see someone that looks just like my boyhood idol, Luis Tiant. My jaw drops when he enters our lobby and I hear him ask for me. Sure enough it is Tiant and he heard that I was a hugh fan by two of my officers that had a chance encounter with him on the street. He then drove to my office and spent 45-60 minutes with me talking baseball with his lovely wife. What a class act. I keep a lot of my GU items and other items in my office and was proud to show him some Tiant items. He gave my a cigar prior to leaving and posed for some pixs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0877.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	579.7 KB
ID:	656222

Comment

• 70to66
                          • Sep 2007

George Thomas (1967 red sox) is my plant managers father in law, he stops by work usually once a year.

Comment

• michael47
                            • Aug 2006

Ralph Baker was a linebacker for the Jets in the late 60's & early 70's. He was a sales rep & used to come to my company about three times per year. On one of his first visits we were asking him a lot of questions about playing in the Jets-Colts Super Bowl in 1969 & he took off his 1969 Super Bowl ring & we passed it around the table so that we could all get a look at it. Ralph enjoyed answering our questions & it was great to get a close up look at his ring which represented such a significant moment in sports history.

Comment

• 3arod13
                              • Apr 2006

Harmon Killebrew visited my squadron in 2003. It was great talking to him about baseball, his career, and players he played with. He signed the card I'm holding.

Regards, Tony
                              Attached Files
                              Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

Working...