PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Winfield Jersey

jetersbatboy
10-13-2009, 10:50 PM
I was looking at this listing (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120480405498&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182) on ebay and wondering if the Wilson tagging was appropriate for the the 1985 season. But according to Kingjammy24 thread (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=812)the tagging is from 1986 and later. The seller make no claims that the jersey is a real Winfield, but I just found it a little strange. I wanted to get everyone thoughts on the jersey as it was something that interest me.
Thanks Scott

jetersbatboy
10-13-2009, 10:53 PM
He also has a R. Jackson 44 jersey (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160369590041&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182) on ebay with proper Wilson tagging for the strip tag in the collar could this one be real?

kingjammy24
10-13-2009, 11:54 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=28667

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=28468

rudy.

slam
10-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Might be interesting to find out why it sold for $630 and is up for auction again. Buyer found out it was fake? Shill bidding?

crazylox
10-14-2009, 08:28 AM
The first buyer backed out.

sox83cubs84
10-14-2009, 01:56 PM
One person overlooked in this discussion so far...equipment manager Pete Sheehy. He died in August of 1985, and the Yanks wore a black memoriam armband the remainder of the season. If there is an imprint on the left sleeve of the armband, the case for authenticity would be significantly stronger. If not, then doubts are increased to the point of pretty much certainty. That 1986-style tag is a problem either way, and would cause me to doubt it's authenticity, as it does Rudy. Without a band imprint on the sleeve, I'd consider it nothing more than a game-style jersey...worth more than a replica, but nowhere nearr the value of a true Winfield gamer.

Dave M.
Chicago area

kingjammy24
10-14-2009, 05:11 PM
here is a 1985 set 1 winfield that AMI once sold:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=14300#

it has the sheehy armband and a different style of wilson tag than the ebay winfield. some may say that an '85 winfield lacking the sheehy armband may still be legit if it left the team prior to august '85. if it did that however, it would've likely been ordered early in the season. if it was ordered early in the season, then it likely would not have had the newer 1986 style of tag. there's always that overlap between tag changes where i think some very late season orders could receive the new/following season style of tagging. however if its lacking the armband then it obviously wasn't a late season order.

from both the winfield and r.jackson ebay ads:
"I do not have the time or resources to have it authenticated".

ie: i have a 1985 winfield jersey which, if legit, would be a $4k jersey and a '78 reggie jackson jersey which, if legit, would be a $15k jersey. but i just don't have the time to make $20k so i'll sell them for a couple hundred a pop. right.

hey guys, did i tell you i found a 1952 yankees jersey with a "7" on the back? but i don't have the time to be fiddling with this thing so the first $100 offer takes it.

rudy.

crazylox
10-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey guys, I know it's easy to discount these two jersey's we have listed but I only have the following facts.

We don't know if they were worn by Reggie Jackson or Dave Winfield.

We don't have the 300 to 500 dollars each to send the jersey's off.

We know they are real authentic Yankees Jerseys. You can clearly see the tags were not taken off and re-added to the jerseys.

If one of you would like to step up and pay for the Jersey's to be authenticated for us then I would gladly cut you in on the sale of them once they are authenticated. I figure anyone who would write negative comments and insinuations would surely put their money where their mouth is.

Or everyone can take what has been listed and said at face value and decide for themselves if they want to take a chance. At worst you are getting an authentic Yankees Jersey. Enough said.

Nathan

kingjammy24
10-14-2009, 08:55 PM
..I figure anyone who would write negative comments and insinuations would surely put their money where their mouth is...

my mistake. i assumed anyone who managed to acquire a '78 jackson and '85 winfield had $300 to their name. anyway, why would i pay to have them authenticated when i feel they likely wouldn't pass? i didn't try to prove anything so i'm not sure that telling me to put my money where my mouth is makes much sense. i simply found it odd that you could potentially be sitting on $20k worth of jerseys yet you "don't have the time" to have them authenticated. '78 jackson gamers don't come around very often. years ago, AMI sold a '77 jackson for over $20k. yet rather than scrape up a couple hundred to potentially realize $20k, you're ok with selling it for $600 (or less). it almost defies logic.

here's a crazy idea; if you auction them off via REA, Lelands, GFC, Hunt's, Heritage, etc the auction house will (in theory) authenticate them for you. you wouldn't have to pay them anything up front and they'd only take around 10% percent of the final sales price. surely you'd want to maximize your return on a potentially high-end item and auction houses regularly obtain higher hammer prices than ebay.

rudy.

CollectGU
10-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Nathan,

These jerseys have been restored to their original numbers, so you should be able to see the outline of the original numbers, followed by the minor league number that was removed, and back to these restored numbers. You should see if that is visible, perhaps under a light table? If you don't have a light table, all you really need is a enclosed light source(lamp) with a piece of plexiglass on top....If you can't find evidence of original numbers, minor league change, and then the restored numbers it would be hard to accepr the down to the minor league theory...

Dave