PDA

View Full Version : Phils over LA

skyking26
10-15-2009, 11:30 PM
I have to admit here my pick of LA going to the Series was made out of a hope from the heart that Thome would have a shot at a ring; but after watching tonight I'd have to give an edge to the Phils for overall depth...

Most know I'm not a Manny fan. Great hitter, but that's where it ends. His cocky action after hitting the homer would have gotten him plunked in the Bob Gibson era. He k'd in a key AB later that would have helped his team win so the karma train comes around...

RK

flaco1801
10-16-2009, 01:16 AM
he would have been drilled more than ron hunt... what a role model...

Vintagedeputy
10-16-2009, 05:42 AM
I honestly can't see the Dodgers beating the Phils....although I'd like to see Torre come back to NY

skyking26
10-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Yea, I'm thinking with my head instead of my heart here....changing my mind now, Phils over LA, Yanks over LAA, Yanks over Phils in maybe 5 if it gets that far...

RK

allstarsplus
10-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Guys, it is only 1 game. To me, it is the bullpens that will determine who will win this. Somehow, Lidge held it together last night and Sherrill imploded for the Dodgers.

Vintagedeputy
10-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Yea, I'm thinking with my head instead of my heart here....changing my mind now, Phils over LA, Yanks over LAA, Yanks over Phils in maybe 5 if it gets that far...

RK

+1 but I think Yanks-Phils will go 6 with the Yankees winning.

markize
10-16-2009, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't rush the Yankees into the WS yet. They're going with a 3 man rotation against LAA. To me, that shows a lack of confidence. Their middle relief/setup guys have showed big improvement which they really needed. If they do get to the Phillies, they will be up against solid pitching.

With the LA/Phillies series, I just can't believe Hammels would continue to throw Manny off speed pitches. With 1st open, I'd go away, or high heat and make him chase it. If he lays off, he doesn't hurt you with a free pass, and you set up the force/DP.

Bob, I too think the "stare" into the Phillies dugout would have gotten him drilled in the Gibson days!

Mark

suave1477
10-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Most know I'm not a Manny fan. Great hitter, but that's where it ends. His cocky action after hitting the homer would have gotten him plunked in the Bob Gibson era. He k'd in a key AB later that would have helped his team win so the karma train comes around...

RK

Wow you took the words right out of my mouth as if you read my mind. I was watching the game last night with my boys and that was the exact thing we were saying to each other. How Manny is one cocky bas$#% when he hits a home run. To the point where it is not even cute and down right disgusting. I wish we were still in the Bob Gibson days he would have made Manny show some respect. I would even take a Paul Quantrill moment where he would of shown Manny how to play the game.

Does anyone remember when Scott Proctor and Manny got into it??
After that moment I became a Proctor fan for life!!!
I even spoke to Scott afterwards and he told me how much he hates Manny. I laughed.

As far as Yankees going to the WS (I am a Yankee fan) I think it is going to be a bit rough to get passed the Angels. I will say if we do I think it would be great to play the Dodogers.

I can read the Daily News Headline now "Joe Vs. Joe"

If we end up playing the Phillies. I hate to say it, but I think we will sweep them. IMO

flaco1801
10-16-2009, 10:50 AM
utley and howard the big guns... watch out for victorino and ibanez, two good ballplayers and id have on any team....now if rollins gets hot its all over... fall asleep with werth and he will make you pay

skyking26
10-16-2009, 11:08 AM
I know it was 1 game. I just did not see the stuff with LA I saw with Philly. I was a bit disturbed too after Thome walked, they lifted him for a pinch runner and took too much time as the runner Torre selected was sitting there in tennis shoes and had to go change them while everybody waited!!!!!!! I mean, c'mon. How unprofessional and embarrasing. Phils mgr should have been all over the time element. I was equally surprised by the comment that Thome had a sore foot. What's it sore from, sitting too much?? The guy has done nothing but PH since he got there. I don't see him with a job next year the way things are going. We may be watching the curtain going down on his career here, which could be considered HOF...

TNTtoys
10-16-2009, 11:10 AM
I think it's a matter of "anything can happen" with this series. Last night's game could have easily been 8-6 the other way. How many men did the Dodgers leave on base? I am sure they out hit the Phillies.

They both have a balanced offensive attack... Phily has better starting pitching, LA has a better bullpen.

I kind of like a series where you can't really guess the outcome.

I hope it goes 5. I hope all games are close.

nationals2k9
10-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Save these comments for AT LEAST after today's game!

Kershaw showed his age with 5 BB and Sherrill didn't do what he's paid to do. The Phils took advantage of 2 opps with 2 guys on and hit a pitch they could do something with. The Dodgers had way more hits and threatened several times. Phillies bullpen looks awfully shaky and the offense seemed to shut down when they had a lead. Take away either HR and it's 6-5 Dodgers.

I need to change my screen name... it was anything but the Nats in 2009.

skyking26
10-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Take Dunn and Zimmerman out of the equation and how many games back are you at the end??

Dunn will be gone after '10.

I need to change my screen name... it was anything but the Nats in 2009.[/quote]

nationals2k9
10-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Take Dunn and Zimmerman out of the equation and how many games back are you at the end??

Dunn will be gone after '10.

I need to change my screen name... it was anything but the Nats in 2009.[/QUOTE]

They're far from "me" or my team.... and they'd be 70-80 games out w/o those two! I unfortunately root for both the Phillies and Dodgers and just think the Dodgers should be given another game or two to show up.

Rob
10-16-2009, 01:07 PM
I think the Phillies win in 5. I am not impressed with the Dodgers starting pitching and feel that the Phillies hitters will score more than enough runs.

A roided up Manny hittting .500 with Derrick Lowe couldn't win last year. Is this Dodgers team any better than last years? The Phillies are probably just as good as the 2008 version.

I am hoping for another parade down Broad street.

Rob

nationals2k9
10-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Is this Dodgers team any better than last years?

Rob

Ethier: 09 - 31 HR / 106 RBI
08 - 20 HR / 77 RBI

Kemp: 09 - 26 HR / 101 RBI
08 - 18 HR / 76 RBI

Team ERA is down from 3.68 to 3.41 and BA against from .251 to .233

Pierre has played better, Blake and Loney are right there again, add Belliard, Thome, Padilla and more bullpen depth and experience = YES, they're better!

thomecollector
10-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Bobby,
It was only one game. Relax. Thome isn't done yet. He bruised his heel a few weeks back. As anyone knows, that takes forever to heal.
He will need the off season to be 100 %. Still got more games to go....:D

LastingsMilledge85
10-16-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't see the Angels losing, they will be the greatest story ever in the game.

cohibasmoker
10-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Did you guys notice Cole Hamels jersey last night - especially the sleeve numbers? It looked to me like the #3 was sewn on higher and slightly on an angle in relation to the #5.

I found this image on Getty. The Majestic logo appears to be square to the sleeve stripes but the #3 looks to be at an angle.

I bring it up because it will be interesting to see if the jersey hits the market and people question the authenticity of the jersey because of the way the sleeve numbers are sewn on. Is it me?

Jim

PS: HOWARD - WHERE ARE YOU? COME BACK !!!!!!!!

skyking26
10-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Bobby,
It was only one game. Relax. Thome isn't done yet. He bruised his heel a few weeks back. As anyone knows, that takes forever to heal.
He will need the off season to be 100 %. Still got more games to go....:D
I don't think we'll see a long list of suitors for his services at this point, (anybody agree). He better prepare for a PAYCUT. He's one dimensional like Kong was at this point if people were to say that...

That clip you sent me of his wife being interviewed at Dodger Stadium. I didn't like the offhanded comment she made about somebody finding her husband a job. The handwritings on the wall dearie...the days of multimillions are over. Adjust.

Too harsh? Not...

nationals2k9
10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
OK - lets talk!!

skyking26
10-16-2009, 06:51 PM
As I've said so many times, I'm not a Yankees fan. That said.... these 2 NL teams just can't pull it off, no way. What a gem Pedro threw tonight only to have it turned over and quickly lost. No offense beyond Howard?? How sad. The Dodgers squeaked by with this one.

Not impressed with either to compete with NY. Should I say Yankees in 4???

TNTtoys
10-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Did you guys notice Cole Hamels jersey last night - especially the sleeve numbers? It looked to me like the #3 was sewn on higher and slightly on an angle in relation to the #5.

I found this image on Getty. The Majestic logo appears to be square to the sleeve stripes but the #3 looks to be at an angle.

I bring it up because it will be interesting to see if the jersey hits the market and people question the authenticity of the jersey because of the way the sleeve numbers are sewn on. Is it me?

Jim

PS: HOWARD - WHERE ARE YOU? COME BACK !!!!!!!!

Jim,

Not too long ago I sold a uniform oddity in order to raise some cash to buy another.

You might know I'm a Beltran collector. I had the opportunity to buy a Beltran jersey worn to hit a home run against the Sox at Fenway. It was documented from that specific date and there is video footage to support that the jersey worn was devoid of a skyline sleeve patch. Clearly an oddity but documented multiple ways.

The jersey I sold was a same style Beltran jersey where the front "1" was sewn onto the jersey slightly higher than the "5" -- sure enough, I found pictures of him wearing a same style jersey that same season where the numbers were positioned the same way.

I love these types of oddities -- they are great conversation pieces & certainly help you document your collection.

Nick

Vintagedeputy
10-16-2009, 10:30 PM
I told Kevin Kennedy on XM yesterday that Pedro was the impact player to be watched for the Phils - and Pedro didnt disappoint!

suicide_squeeze
10-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Wow,

I have never seen a larger bunch of Dodger bashers in my life.

Of course, except you, Andrew.

Guys, did you all forget who had the BEST record in the National league this year......second in MLB only to the Billion-dollar boys?

So I'll be the "daring" one and speak my piece......

The Dodgers are going to beat the Phillie phonies in 6.

Then, they will meet their match in the World Series. But without Reggie Jackson.......

And Joe Torre will remind everyone who cares to listen and watch.....that A-Rod cannot shed his post season label of someone who can't win the big one for his team. He's already done his fair share to get them where they are, but Torre will do him in, and his Yankee counterparts. It's just destined to be.

And Manny haters....as the ball flies off the bat, and as I type this.....I spit out a sunflower seed shell to accentuate the prediction.....he is the ALL TIME post season home run leader in MLB. Love him or hate him, the man is clutch.....and he'll answer the bell again before this is all over. If you want to pound on him because he didn't hit a grand slam in game one when he had the chance, I say it's a tough thing to overcome when your pitching staff has already given up TWO 3-run homers. George Sherrill gets to wear game one around his collar......not Manny.

Dodger pitching is no where near as good as the Phillies......on paper. I'll take "heart" over the hype. Remember those two unbeatable aces in St. Louis? Yeah, those 2 guys who disappeared after being swept. All the Dodger starters need to do is keep it close. The relievers are lights out. And once the Dodgers get rid of the starter they're facing....they pound on the relievers of a weaker team.

And I can't think of a weaker bullpen than the Phillies.

Trust me.....the Phillies are about to see what the Dodgers are all about. So pound the keys and share the love of your Phillies......while you can. They're going down. Hard. In a relentless manner.

Be happy I'm predicting 6. It will more than likely be 5 and not return to Los Angeles.

PEACE brothes and sisters!!! Enjoy the baseball.....it's great entertainment this time of year.

suicide_squeeze
10-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Ethier: 09 - 31 HR / 106 RBI
08 - 20 HR / 77 RBI

Kemp: 09 - 26 HR / 101 RBI
08 - 18 HR / 76 RBI

Team ERA is down from 3.68 to 3.41 and BA against from .251 to .233

Pierre has played better, Blake and Loney are right there again, add Belliard, Thome, Padilla and more bullpen depth and experience = YES, they're better!

http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/trophy.gif We have a WINNER!!!

skyking26
10-17-2009, 02:39 AM
http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/trophy.gif We have a WINNER!!!
As I said earlier, love to see the Dodgers win to give Thome a shot at a ring. Phils scare me tho, and then if you go against NY, I just don't know if anybody can beat that $$ machine.

I heard Steinbrenner was offering God a contract for next season...

b.heagy
10-17-2009, 06:33 AM
go Phillies !

skyking26
10-17-2009, 01:45 PM
go Phillies !
They blew it bigtime last night. What a shame to ruin Pedro's gem. The rest of the club should hang their heads in shame. That was their game to win.

chakes89
10-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Looks like Chase Utley may be hurt again

They were talking about it on the MLB Network last night

skyking26
10-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Does not matter who takes on the Yankees...they are gonna lose.

suicide_squeeze
10-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Great.....one inning into game three and the Dodger pitching staff is already spotting them 4 runs.....way to show up Kiroda.

b.heagy
10-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Does not matter who takes on the Yankees...they are gonna lose.

I have faith Robert. Phils can do it.

skyking26
10-18-2009, 09:16 PM
[quote=b.heagy;165563]I have faith Robert. Phils can do it.[/quote

Phils look awesome.

2000mvpfan
10-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Let's not forget the Phils went into Yankee Stadium and took 2 out of 3 from the Yankees.Now,while the Yankees didn't have A-Rod,the Phils didn't have Lee (who so far has been nothing short of awesome in the postseason)..

I like their chances.

Joe

2000mvpfan
10-18-2009, 10:13 PM
..And by the way,did anybody see Shane Victorino LET THE FAN KEEP the bat that he lost into the stands tonite instead of switching up for a game-issued...classy move.

Joe

suicide_squeeze
10-18-2009, 10:36 PM
..And by the way,did anybody see Shane Victorino LET THE FAN KEEP the bat that he lost into the stands tonite instead of switching up for a game-issued...classy move.

Joe

My fanhood for him just increased 10-fold......and I already liked the guy.

skyking26
10-19-2009, 07:32 AM
I saw that....and agree, very classy.

I really like this Phils team. Man can they put it to you. They might even be able to beat NY?

LA does not stand a chance.

skyking26
10-20-2009, 07:19 AM
I fell asleep thru the end of the game, woke up at 4 am and turned on MLBTV for the recap.

Was I shocked. People think LA has a chance when they continually blow opportunities. Last night it was the closer, Wed it will be who? Too late then. Sad to see Thome not get a chance at a ring, but the trade was one of the silliest I've ever seen...taking a HR hitter that is productive with 4 ABS a game and sitting him down.

Congrats to Philly. From what I've seen I do believe they have what it takes to beat NY (and yes, I do believe they will still take LAA).;)

RK

Vintagedeputy
10-20-2009, 08:58 AM

and after he walked in that AB, he gave the new bat to another fan who had gotten whacked when the bat landed. Classy guy.

skyking26
10-20-2009, 10:44 AM
and after he walked in that AB, he gave the new bat to another fan who had gotten whacked when the bat landed. Classy guy.
Gotta say the way things are going here, I'm hoping for a repeat for the Phils. Classy organization.

suicide_squeeze
10-20-2009, 06:42 PM
OK, I'm gonna piss off my fellow Dodgers fans, but I'm going to give it to you straight.

Jonathan Broxton is a loser.

It would have been very easy for the Dodgers to "give up" after the first inning 2-run debacle (yet AGAIN).....but they held together as a team, and my man James Loney started them on a rally that gave them their confidence back, eventually taking them to a 4-2 lead. And Randy Wolf pitched his heart out.

After giving up another run, George Sherrill stepped up to the moment and had the raw guts to throw a fastball high and tight to Ryan Hell-Raising Howard and got em! I was screaming with joy with a tear in my eye as I felt the magical moment of my beloved Dodgers rising to the occasion and taking a step towards maybe becoming World CHAMPIONS. Then, out comes Torre to bring in the one slob who cost the Dodgers last year, Broxton. He get's the last out, and we're set for the ninth.

To any of you who ever listened to me since last year.....I've been preaching the Dodger demise if it were going to be left in the hands of Jonathan Broxton.

So.....All we need is three outs. Some of his fastballs are hitting 101 miles per hour. WOW, impressive, right? I could feel something wrong in my bones.

He has no one on, just needs three outs, and he's facing Matt Stairs. He has a chance to man up and go after the bum, because after all, what's the worst that can happen?....Matt can't BEAT him in this situation?? Just tie the game, and that's it. So HERE is his chance to make amends for LAST year.....set it right......make a name for himself.

So, Big Bad Jon puts on his SKIRT.......and WALKS him on 4 STRAIGHT PITCHES. Can you say "JESUS CHRIST!"? Then, he continues to pull up his nylons, adjusts his high heels, and drills the next Phillie frump in the elbow!??? GREAT. Now not only the tying runner is on, he put the WINNING runner on. I start to get that painful ache inside. As A dodger fan, that's familiar.

So then, in true Dodger spirit, he teases us Dodger fans and gets two outs, leaving us all feeling like, "YEAH, we're gonna tie this up 2-2 in the series, and break all of the momentum of the Phillies.....This is OUR YEAR!!!"

Then?........it happens.

He finishes off the night, and the Dodger fans hopes, and the Dodgers season for that matter, by digressing back to last year and throwing his patented 99-mph batting practice game ending pitch. I still haven't got my voice back from last night, and I don't think I'll ever be able to get every small piece of broken glass out of the carpet where my tv used to sit.

I honestly couldn't sleep after that display of failure.......yet again......by a guy who doesn't have it.

I don't care HOW well Jonathan Broxton does during the year. Once the play-offs start, the "year" doesn't MATTER. It's all about having the killer instinct to finish the job.

Jonathan Broxton.......is a loser. Release him and get pitching in the off season, Dodgers. Next year will be your last chance with this young talented team. After that, Manny will be gone, and the "magic" and "gelling" of this special team will have been lost.

So help me GOD, if Joe Torre gives that LOSER the ball again with the series on the line.....we as Dodger fans better see some ANGER glistening out of those f&%king eyes of his, some signs of LIFE, and not that calm, timid, passive look he stares at Russell Martin with. I can't take another beating like last night. I can't do it. We need a CLOSER.....not a 300 lb. chick in a baseball uniform cross-dressing as a pitcher on a baseball team!!!

It's going to take me a LONG time to get over last night.

eisenreich8
10-20-2009, 08:49 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-mannyshower102009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

LastingsMilledge85
10-20-2009, 11:01 PM
I just noticed that during the playoffs on the Phillies home uniforms their WS Champs patch has been removed. Why is that?

sctizzle
10-21-2009, 06:52 AM
I just noticed that during the playoffs on the Phillies home uniforms their WS Champs patch has been removed. Why is that?

They stopped wearing the patch after the Cardinals series at the end of July. All jerseys were then hologramed by MLB and put up for sale at the stadium. They then began a new set without the patch.

I have the Ruiz alternate and it shows a ton of use--looks like it was worn all year up until that point. Tons of pilling from his catchers gear, red residue from his gear and residue from a cancer ribbon.

3arod13
10-21-2009, 06:56 AM
They stopped wearing the patch after the Cardinals series at the end of July. All jerseys were then hologramed by MLB and put up for sale at the stadium. They then began a new set without the patch.

I have the Ruiz alternate and it shows a ton of use--looks like it was worn all year up until that point. Tons of pilling from his catchers gear, red residue from his gear and residue from a cancer ribbon.

Can you show some pics?

sctizzle
10-21-2009, 08:45 AM
It kills me to have this in my home, being a Yankees fan, but here it is. I didn't take any close ups of the use, but there is use all over the front from his catching gear and the ribbon residue is next to the HK patch. You can see the full ribbon if you look at it in person.

http://www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/F0/7E/72/iF07E7278-37FD-4220-94D0-3AA8BC41F7AD.jpg
http://www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/B9/47/C6/iB947C649-9CA7-4CDA-9EC0-A9CD761C0402.jpg
http://www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/C9/61/87/iC9618719-2B00-4CBB-8C74-BA9C001FA30B.jpg
http://www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/D8/64/FE/iD864FECE-82A7-4461-B96D-3C9864A7669D.jpg

b.heagy
10-21-2009, 08:59 AM
you could always sell it to me. I'd be happy to releive you from the stress. :D

suicide_squeeze
10-21-2009, 02:55 PM
you could always sell it to me. I'd be happy to releive you from the stress. :D

LOL!

That is a nice jersey. Even thought I'm a Dodger fan, I'd hang that in my house somewhere. I'm a baseball fan over any one team, and I appreciate this Phillies team. They're winners.

I just hope they go into a three-game slide, starting tonight! ;)

b.heagy
10-21-2009, 03:42 PM
LOL!

That is a nice jersey. Even thought I'm a Dodger fan, I'd hang that in my house somewhere. I'm a baseball fan over any one team, and I appreciate this Phillies team. They're winners.

I wish your Dodgers luck - NOT ! :p

skyking26
10-21-2009, 07:50 PM
LOL!

Keep hoping Steve. Early going and it's 4-2 Phils. Exactly how many runs do you want to spot the Phils?

suicide_squeeze
10-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Another good Dodger season, ends in pitching hell.

Both Shane Victorino and Jayson Werth came from the Dodger organization.

Figure it out in the off-season, Dodgers.

Oh, and special notice to the McCourts: Nice timing on your little love spat announcement, you freakin' selfish morons. If you want to own a team that has tens of thousands of fans that PAY THE BILLS for your little dream world, DON'T put your personal problems on the front page until AFTER the season is over, losers.

You reap what you sew.

skyking26
10-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Another good Dodger season, ends in pitching hell.

Both Shane Victorino and Jayson Werth came from the Dodger organization.

Figure it out in the off-season, Dodgers.

Oh, and special notice to the McCourts: Nice timing on your little love spat announcement, you freakin' selfish morons. If you want to own a team that has tens of thousands of fans that PAY THE BILLS for your little dream world, DON'T put your personal problems on the front page until AFTER the season is over, losers.

You reap what you sew.
Gotta agree with you there about owners.

Interesting Werth came from LA. He beat their A*s tonight. LA uses what - 4 pinchhitters and no Thome? What the hell was the whole idea of that trade? Comment?

b.heagy
10-22-2009, 06:13 AM
Werth was drafted by the Orioles - traded to Toronto - traded to LAD and Finally made a home in Philly. Spent most of his career hurt.

skyking26
10-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Werth was drafted by the Orioles - traded to Toronto - traded to LAD and Finally made a home in Philly. Spent most of his career hurt.
He's making up for lost time.

ironmanfan
10-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Ironic that Orioles drafted Werth as a catcher...Werth moved on to the OF similarly the way that Dale Murphy did with the Braves.

sox83cubs84
10-22-2009, 12:52 PM
If the Phillies beat New York or Los Angeles/Anaheim in the Series, it will mark only the fourth time ever that a National League team has won the Fall Classic two years in a row. It was first done by the 1907-08 Cubs (the only World Series the Cubbies have ever won); the 1921-22 New York Giants, and the Big Red Machine in 1975-76. Still waiting for the ALCS to be decided before I pick a rooting interest.

Dave M.
Chicago area

skyking26
10-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I rooting for the Phils. Love their chemistry, the park and the fans. Gotta say "Back to Back."