PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Mets WS ring salesman sample? Off Color

ultimetfan
10-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a ring in my collection that I acquired about five years ago. It is a 1969 Mets WS Ring, with "41 Seaver P" on the shank.

The weird thing is that the metal is white (not gold) and the colored top is purple (not blue).

I was told that it is a SS, but I have never seen another sample off color. Can you ring experts out there help me.

Would love to know some history and an idea of what it is worth.

Thanks.

ultimetfan
10-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have received a few emails regarding my post. Thanks to both (I know at least one is a forum member) for their thoughts.

1. One email said that he had met a dealer, and he had several SS rings, and when he remarked that a few looked bad, that those were made of brass. I dont know if the ring is made of brass, but it is silver in color, so perhaps they plate brass ?

2. Someone else commented "that it is a cheap knockoff, in the wrong color and the wrong color stone" Aside from the second part stating the obvious, my only thought was why would one go through the trouble of replicating the ring and then do so in the wrong colors? Purple Lapis costs the same as blue lapis, Gold Electroplate is not that much more expensive than white elctroplate. Aside from that, while no expert myself (obviously), the ring looks like an original cast, not a ring made from a mold of an original ring.

It would make sense that the manufacturer of these rings (Jostens made the Mets rings in 1969) made this ring as a sales tool to its salesman to sell HS, College rings, etc. perhaps they made it in a different color to discourage theft, or what have you.

But my question is this: has anyone ever seen another SS made off color?

Rob L
10-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Contact this guy. He only collects and sells championship rings. From his ebay "me" page:

Scott Welkowsky's "Out Of This World Memorabilia" http://i1.ebayimg.com/04/s/000/77/55/882b_1.JPGMy #1 Son .......Logan & me at Yankee Stadium in 2006!
http://i11.ebayimg.com/05/s/000/77/55/882d_1.JPGStill at Yankee Stadium ........Where my Son Will Be Playing Some Day!

Hello, my name is Scott Welkowsky, and it all began when I was a 7-year-old boy. I started collecting baseball cards in 1974 .......Going down to the local drug store (Newberry's), and buying a few packs for 10-cents each. I would have started collecting even earlier, but "Wacky Packs" were totally cool to collect when I was 5 & 6. (LOL)
Then, I went to my very 1st Sports Card Show in 1979, and became totally hooked! I loved the memorabilia I would see at the shows, but it was just too expensive for a 13-year-old kid. So, I stuck to Baseball Cards for the time being. I would save-up all my $$$ for every show, and would just have perhaps $50 to $200 to bring, which was a lot of allowence & gardening money saved-up!
In the early 1980's, I started to become fasinated with Championship Rings, even though they were expensive for a 16-year-old kid. I was able to land a job, helping Ken Slater & Lou Costanzo @ the "National" Sports Card Shows, starting in 1982. Before I knew it, I started purchasing / selling World Series, Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, N.B.A. Champions, & College Championship Rings for "California Numismatic Investments" as a teenager! It took a long-time, but I finally saved-up enough money for one myself.
Rings are extremely addictive, just like potato chips ...........Once you start, you can't stop at one! My wife thinks I'm "Nuts", but I currently have around 500-Championship Rings in stock, and I'm always looking to purchase more. I will always consider doing a trade also.
Please feel free to e-mail me, or give me a call.
Thanks,
Scott
(949) 246-0826

ultimetfan
10-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Done, Rob. Awaiting his reply.

Thanks.