Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justinlm24
    • Mar 2006

2005 Pujols game used bat

Can anyone offer any opinions on this bat. The seller wants to do a trade for this bat, but I want to make sure this bat looks good before I do it. I know nothing about pujols gamers, so any advice would be great. Thanks.

• mr.miracle
    • Apr 2006

Re: 2005 Pujols game used bat

Hello Justin:

This bat was previously sold on ebay by John Taube back in Feb 2006 I believe. I have included a link here that Jeff "Birdbats" Scott pointed me to that discussed this very bat. The bottom line is that this bat saw 5 at bats for the entire year according to Mr. Birdbats calculations and he would know because he keeps detailed reports on every bat used by Pujols during every at bat of the year. Please reference this discussion for more info. Hope that helps.

Brett
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• mr.miracle
      • Apr 2006

Please allow me to clarify, it saw 5 total at bats from Albert Pujols, someone else obviously used it quite extensively given the amount of wear it is showing.

Brett
      Brett Herman

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• mr.miracle
        • Apr 2006

Justin:

The seller sent this to me this morning. Nice of him to mention that the bat saw five total at bats from Albert during 2005 in the auction listing. It never came up until I brought it up in my response to his sell offer. Yeah, it sure is rare, it is rare that Albert actually used the bat. A bit pricy for a bat that Albert used 5 times. I think I will wait for one that saw a few more plate appearances and one that I am sure Johnny the bat boy didn't tear up prior to the games during batting practice
        I appreciate the pictures, after doing some research, I have learned that
        Albert only used a Rawlings bat for 5 total at bats in 2005 meaning a
        teammate must have used this bat extensively as Albert is known to loan out
        bats a lot. Based on that information, I am going to pass.

Thanks
        Brett
        The COA reads - "Bill Steele (Ralings' Pro player representative) hand delivered this bat to Pujols in Pittsburgh, during the Cardinals series with the Pirates in August of 2005." (that is some great provenance, you will find with very few bats)

I also did some research - check it out for yourself =
        Pujols was observed useing a natural Rawlings bat in just two games (5 AT BATS) during 2005. He had one plate appearance on August 23 in Pittsburgh and four plate appearnces on August 31 in Florida. (Matches right up with the COA) i got the info from Birdwatch.com.

I have spoke to John Taube personaly he assured me Bill Steele hand delivered this bat to Pujols. You can contact John Taube at JTbats if you question the Game Use.

Vine Malta & John Taube have authenticated this bat as Game Used by Pujols!
        This could be one of the rarest fully authencated Pujols 2005 mvp bat ever!
        ||
        Brett Herman

Comment

• justinlm24
          • Mar 2006

Thanks guys, I'll steer clear of this bat. That's why I love you guys. Saved myself a raw deal. Thanks again.

Comment

• mr.miracle
            • Apr 2006

As always, it has been an honor.
            Brett Herman

Comment

• trsent
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Please advise what is wrong with this bat, that you would say this? It was confirmed that Pujols used it and the stories matches up perfectly. In my opinion, this would be a great Pujols bat to own.

Comment

• mr.miracle
                • Apr 2006

If you want a bat which Albert used for 5 total at bats last year then that is your bat. If you want or expect a bat that is used 250 times like this bat shows in the pictures then this is not your bat as Albert clearly did not use it that often. There is nothing wrong with the bat other than the fact the Albert used it in a game for five total at bats is never mentioned by anyone trying to sell this bat. That is the problem.

Brett
                Brett Herman

Comment

• trsent
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2005

Ok, so if Albert takes a bat, takes one swing at a pitch in a game and misses, then decides to switch bats in the middle of his at-bat, the bat is technically a game used bat.

Why would a seller mention that it was only used for one swing then not used again? It is game used, right? Why discourage bidding by stating "This bat was used for one pitch, so I want to discourage bidding and tell you this, it is game used, but for only one pitch so don't bother bidding because I know you'd rather have an item that was used for 10,000 pitches and comes with a letter from Albert's Wife."

My problem is that the original poster mentioned that this is a "raw deal" but in reality, it is a great deal on a bat that has a great background.

Too bad the guy is on the shelf for 3-8 weeks, so much for the Bonds record.

Comment

• mr.miracle
                    • Apr 2006

You had better believe that if I was bidding on this bat that shows great game use and was able to later prove after buying it that it was only used in 5 total at bats by the player that I would be very pissed off. If this bat looked like it saw 5 at bats it would make sense. It does not. Perhaps I am looking for a bit of honesty here. Sure you want to sell the item but as the seller you want a happy customer and if you know the bat was used only 5 total times which this seller admits in his email yet it appears nowhere in the auction that is just bad business. If you withhold valuable info. about this item what else might you withhold. I am not sure how this is so valuable as it sold originally for around $800.00 and nobody bid on the thing on ebay this time for $2000.00 obviously the public does not see it that way. If I want a Pujols gamer, I want a well used Pujols gamer USED BY PUJOLS. If that is the way you choose to do business in your house more power to you, it is not the way I choose to do business under any circumstances.
                    Brett Herman

Comment

• mr.miracle
                      • Apr 2006

By the way, the seller is still looking to sell so feel free to contact him and pick it up since you seem to like it so much

Brett
                      Brett Herman

Comment

• Oil Can Dan
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by trsent
                        Why would a seller mention that it was only used for one swing then not used again? It is game used, right? Why discourage bidding by stating "This bat was used for one pitch, so I want to discourage bidding and tell you this, it is game used, but for only one pitch so don't bother bidding because I know you'd rather have an item that was used for 10,000 pitches and comes with a letter from Albert's Wife."
                        Would you buy the bat without seeing a picture? If not, what would you be looking for in the picture, assuming you took him at his word that this is a "game used by Albert Pujols bat"?

Or a better way to ask the question, if you were the seller and you included the picture which very clearly showed a lot of game use, would you really not feel obligated to state that much of the game use came from someone other than Pujols?

Personally I would find that to be very disingenuous. If you're going to show a picture of a bat that has tremendous game use and you're going to call it "game used by Albert Pujols", I think you need to explain that the vast majority of the game use was by someone else (assuming you know this).

Comment

• Jonathan
                          • Jun 2006

HELLO EVERYBODY,
                          THIS IS MY BAT!! I AM THE SELLER!!
                          THIS IS MY FIRST POST................. DUE TO ALL THE NEGATIVE TALK*

NORMALLY WHEN BUYING ANY GAME USED ITEM YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN/HOW EXACTLY IT WAS USED (AND YOU DO NEED TO BE AWARE OTHER PLAYERS ON THE TEAM "COULD HAVE" RECEIVED THE BAT.)

MAYBE!,
                          MAYBE A STAR PAYER HIT WITH THE BAT ONCE OR TWICE THEN HANDED THAT BAT TO A FRIEND OR A PLAYER ON THE TEAM OR EVEN A "Batboy". MAYBE THAT FRIEND PLAYER OR "Batboy" HIT A BALL AND WISHED THEY COULD SWING IT LIKE PUJOLS.
                          SINCE WE ARE MAKING UP STORIES TO GO WITH MY BAT - Can we say Pujols used my bat 5 at bats then gave it to Rollen he used it for 250 at bats!

I REALLY LIKE THAT STORY!

BUT THE REAL FACTS OF MY BAT:

FULL PSA/DNA GAME USED COA - CRET # C86459
                          PSA/DNA IS ONE OF THE FEW THAT OFFER ONLINE CERTIFICATION FOR THERE GAME USED ITEMS. JUST GO TO PSA/DNA.COM

PSA/DNA STATES THIS BAT WAS USED BY PUJOLS NO OTHER NAMES!

BILL STEELE (Rawlings pro player representative) HAND DELIVERED THIS BAT TO PUJOLS IN PITTSBURGH, DURING THE CARDINALS SERIES WITH THE PIRATES IN AUGUST OF 2005! - (PROVENANCE - DOES IT GET ANY BETTER??)

I DID SOME RESEARCH AND FOUND OUT PUJOLS RARELY USED THIS STYLE BAT IN 2005 (only 5-6 times all year), SO I TRIED TO GET SOME DATES. I FOUND OUT PUJOLS WAS SEEN USING THIS STYLE BAT ON AUGUST 23 IN PITTSBURGH FROM A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SOURCE........WOW, THAT GOES PERFECTLY WITH THE COA!

-

IN MY "OPINION" USED ONCE IN A GAME, IS GAME USED - MOST BASEBALLS ARE USED ONLY ONCE - MOST BASE'S - AND EVEN SOME JERSEY'S.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE SELLING A GAME USED BAT OR HAVE A COA THAT TELLS YOU EXACTLY HOW MANY TIMES THE ITEM WAS USED??

PLUS PUJOLS COULD HAVE USED THE BAT FOR BATTING PRACTICE AFTER USING IT IN A GAME! = THERE ARE SO MANY POSSIBILITIES & KNOWONE CAN SAY HOW A BAT WAS USED THROGHOUT ITS LIFE BUT PUJOLS.= EVEN THE COA's STRAIGHT FROM PUJOLS DO NOT TELL YOU EXACTLY WHEN/HOW HIS ITEMS WERE USED.

I HAVE A GAME USED ALBERT PUJOLS BAT WITH PSA/DNA COA, WITCH STATES USED BUY PUJOLS - NO OTHER PLAYER NAMES.

I HAVE 100% FEEDBACK AND AM A GOOD SELLER.

SORRY IF YOU DO NOT LIKE MY BAT - YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY.
                          ALSO I DID NOT MEAN TO AFFEND ANYONE BY LISTING MY BAT!
                          I WAS GOING TO KEEP THE BAT FOREVER, THE ONLY REASON I LISTED WAS THERE'S ANOTHER PSA/DNA "GAME USED" PUJOLS BAT ON E-BAY THAT REACHED 4,000.00+. WITHOUT FULL PSA/DNA GAME USED COA (which mine has.)

HECK, I WILL TAKE LESS THAN $2,000.00 FOR MINE

THANK EVERYONE FOR THE POSITIVE COMMENTS!
                          I THINK THERE WAS ONE, LOL

Comment

• bat_master
                            • Sep 2005

Hi Everyone,

It really does look like a great bat and the provenance and PSA/DNA letter are all great. I'm just not sure that an experienced collector would shell out a couple thousand dollars for a bat that has "unattributed player use".

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a Pujols bat in my collection, but at this point I wouldn't spend more than a thousand on a bat like this. I would liken it to a 'team index bat' of a star player in that sure it is professional model bat they may have used but the use could also be explain as having been caused by a different player thus making the bat less desireable to the majority of collectors.

Still a nice bat.

Tim Byington
                            www.tjsportsmn.com
                            sigpic
                            Tim Byington
                            Hall of Fame Bats
                            tim@hofbats.com

Comment

• Jonathan
                              • Jun 2006

Also Forgot To Add-

John Taube & Vince Malta Certified This Bat.
                              I Invited Them Both To Post In This Form, I Look Forward To Reading What They Have To Say!

O And You Gan Get A Free Copy Of Vince Malta's New Book By Subscribing For A Premium Membership To This Form!

Vince Malta Is One Of The Experts On This Form, Just Click On Experts Corner Above!!

Send Him Any Questions You Have!!

Thanks Again

Comment

Working...