PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannels - 1964 Harmon Killebrew Game-Used Flannel in question...

Tay1038
10-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Grey Flannel recently put their December 9th auction preview public and I noticed that they will be offering a 1964 Harmon Killebrew Minnesota Twins Game-Used Road Flannel.

http://www.greyflannel.com/main.php (http://www.greyflannel.com/main.php)

Everything looks good except – the identification tag on the front tail. Every Twins flannel to the best of my knowledge has the name, number, size and year stitched on. I have also noticed that the jersey is lacking the size tag and wash tag. (Third photo)

Does this throw up any red flags for anyone else? Could there be an explanation for this that I just don’t know? Maybe? But I need your guys’ help.

I did some research and found a 1970 example that was offered by Lelands in 2006. Here you can see photos below with everything present. (First & Second photo)

Any information would very appreciated!

Thanks,
Taylor

commando
10-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Wow, that's a nice jersey. I wonder if it exhibits any wear? The colors are very vibrant, and the tags look quite unwashed.

flaco1801
10-18-2009, 05:28 PM
its a 1967? and its a set 3 looks brand new and unworn....

suicide_squeeze
10-18-2009, 05:58 PM
commando & flaco1801,

He posted the pictures of a 1967 jersey sold in Lelands for comparison.

You need to click on th link he supplied, then "Current Auction", then click on the "Preview" bar and slide it a bit to the left until the Killebrew jersey is front and center, then click on it. A picture of the '64 jersey, front and back, will rotate up for viewing.

Tay1083, I have a Harmon Killebrew 1967 jersey, came from Barry Halper's collection. It is tagged and sewn exactly as the Lelands jersey you have posted. The Grey Flannel one, being a '64, may be different in the sewn on tagging because that's what how they tagged them that year(?)

Have you seen an earlier year Twins jersey that has the same style of tagging as on the '67 Twins jersey in the Lelands auction? If so, I would want to know more, and why there was a change to the '64 jerseys. I don't have enough expertise to know if the missing chain stitching identifiers found on the later years is a red flag. If they turn up on the earlier years as well, you may be onto something here.

Maybe another member with Twin jersey expertice could chime in?

flaco1801
10-18-2009, 06:20 PM
thanks suicide... that 64 looks pretty new also... i wouldnt be so concerned of the tags, or lack there of but of the unworn condition... those days the twins were the cheapest organization in baseball.... maybe superstars got new uniforms more often...

Mark17
10-23-2009, 02:42 PM
I am certainly no expert in this area but I have some Twins road flannels for comparison. The first picture has a 1967 Siebler next to a 1964 Naragon. The 2nd picture shows the name in collars (they are almost identical, on gray felt.) The third picture is a 1965 road Klippstein.

It appears the tagging may have been similar on all 3 of my shirts, because the Naragon seems to have a shadow about the size of the washing instructions tag, in the correct location. And with my shirts, there is less tagging present on the ones that show the most wear (Naragon especially), which would make sense.

You can compare the Killebrew to these photos and draw your own conclusions... first thing I notice is, no uniform number is stitched into the Killebrew tail. Also, there is no washing instructions tag, yet the jersey shows very little wear, judging by the lack of fraying on the shoulder patch. This would seem to indicate a patch, if there was one, wouldn't likely have worn off.

Wish we could see the name-in-collar on the Killebrew, for more evidence one way or the other.

So the big questions are: Should the 1964 road shirts have the washing tag, and do authentic gamers sometimes have a missing uniform number in the tail.

I wish a serious Twins jersey collector would chime in with more difinitive evidence!

suicide_squeeze
11-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Grey Flannel recently put their December 9th auction preview public and I noticed that they will be offering a 1964 Harmon Killebrew Minnesota Twins Game-Used Road Flannel.

http://www.greyflannel.com/main.php (http://www.greyflannel.com/main.php)

Everything looks good except – the identification tag on the front tail. Every Twins flannel to the best of my knowledge has the name, number, size and year stitched on. I have also noticed that the jersey is lacking the size tag and wash tag. (Third photo)

Does this throw up any red flags for anyone else? Could there be an explanation for this that I just don’t know? Maybe? But I need your guys’ help.

I did some research and found a 1970 example that was offered by Lelands in 2006. Here you can see photos below with everything present. (First & Second photo)

Any information would very appreciated!

Thanks,
Taylor

Hi Taylor,

Guess what? The jersey you posted the picture of from the Lelands auction.....is my jersey. I won it in that auction. Ex-Halper. I knew this one looked extremely similar, but it didn't register it was the same exact one. Signed in his perfect signature under the nameplate at the neckline. After I get home from work tomorrow (yes.....Saturday, ug!) I'll take a couple of pics and post them so you can see for yourself.

It is troubling to me that the Grey Flannel Killer doesn't have the wash tag stitching visable. If it had been attached, it should be detectable. Maybe it can be if you held the jersey down on a light table....it may expose the tiny stitch holes, but I can't see it on their site. It could also be the quality of their pixels on the photo display.....not enough detail to see it. But I will never take the word of this auction house for anything.....no proof, no bids from me.

But then again, I don't have to worry about it. My account is permanently suspended by them.

Shucks.

suicide_squeeze
11-14-2009, 12:38 AM
The part about the generic descriptions that Grey Flannel seem to be fond of is the catch phrase "and appears to have no alterations of any kind." just kind of bug me.

What about "and appears to be missing the wash tag which is typically found under the chain stitching on each professional gamer from this period." I don't know......maybe that might be significant to a prospective collector. But that's just me.

I guess that might detract from a possible bid or two.....so that get's conveniently left out of the description. Or....maybe they honestly don't know the facts behind proper tagging of these jerseys?

Bottom line....there should be stitch holes where the wash tag would have been. Absence of them suggests a legit issue with this jersey, even though it appears to look fairly good.

Tay1038
11-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Steve,
I agree with you. I think Grey Flannel is either uneducated or has completely fallen in love with that phrase. Many of their Twins jersey in the past have been questionable. Most in which that display incorrect tagging.

This jersey is raising too many question marks for me to spend that kind of money. I want to thank you for all your knowledge you have shared with me.. Very helpful!

Thanks,
Taylor