X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3arod13
    • Apr 2006

1996 Alex Rodriguez "1st Career Grand Slam" Game Used Bat

1996 ALEX RODRIGUEZ "1ST CAREER GRAND SLAM" GAME USED BAT

First, I want to thank Juan Iglesias, a Game Used Universe member since 06-05-2006, for selling me this bat, and making it my #1 piece in my collection. He showed me this bat a few years ago. Over the past few years, I asked him that if he ever decided to sell it, to please contact me first. A couple months a go, the offer came, and I was excited. As many of you know, I sold my Arod 1st HR signed ticket; my 3 1994 signed baseballs, and a few other items in order to buy this bat. When I received, it was more than well worth it. Bat shows awesome use! Here is what the letter from Juan reads:

This letter serves as full and unequivocal proof of this bats authenticity. I have been a Major League Baseball Player Representative for over 20 years, and have accumulated many interesting pieces of game used memorabilia from players throughout my career.
    This particular piece is a 1996 Louisville Slugger Genuine C271 (Black) Alex Rodriguez Seattle Mariners Game Used Bat, in which Alex Rodriguez used during the entire two-game series between the Detroit Tigers at Seattle Mariners on 17-18 April 1996, and is the actual bat he used to hit his “1st Career Grand Slam” in the 2nd inning off Clint Sodowsky on 18 April 1996. This Grand Slam was also his 8th Home Run of his career. This bat has a slight grain separation in the handle and displays heavy use. Alex Rodriguez signed this bat with the notation, “1st Career Grand Slam against Detroit.”
    Alex Rodriguez gave this bat to me as a gift. It was obtained directly from Alex Rodriguez, and personally delivered to me by Joe Dunand Sr, who is Alex Rodriguez’s half-brother. This bat has been in my possession and in my personal collection since 1996, until I sold it to Tony Baldwin of Chesapeake, Virginia on this date. Regards, Juan C. Iglesias. Iglesias Sports Management.

As a collector and game used collector, this is one of those times when you look at your new pick-up and say "this a dream comes true."

Regards, Tony
    Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~
  • 3arod13
    • Apr 2006

Re: 1996 Alex Rodriguez "1st Career Grand Slam" Game Used Bat

If you look in the background of Juan's picture of his collection, you can see this signed Arod picture on the wall, which is the third picture down on the left side.
    Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• Eurostar09
      • Apr 2008

Fantastic piece! WOW

Comment

• cjclong
        • Feb 2006

Congratulations Tony. Its great when you get something game used you really want by one of your favorite players. And ARod is having a very nice playoff so far.

Comment

• yanks12025
          • Jan 2006

Very nice bat.

Comment

• sportscrazy13
            • Nov 2007

WOW! Awesome bat... definitely worth selling your other stuff. I'm jealous now
            Gary
            gashlockusmc@yahoo.com

Always looking for Atlanta Braves & St Louis Blues game used stuff, old and current stars

Comment

• GrndSlm
              Banned
              • Jun 2006

Tony, Im really happy that you obtained this bat...After hearing your story with the Rawlings I started to think that maybe I should give you the ability to buy this bat. I really didnt sell it for the money because I guarantee you that a nice auction would have fetched more. But, I know and wanted you to have a quality Alex piece in your collection. Im glad you are happy.

Regards,
              Juan Iglesias
              GrndSlm@aol.com

Comment

• WadeInBmore
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by GrndSlm
                Tony, Im really happy that you obtained this bat...After hearing your story with the Rawlings I started to think that maybe I should give you the ability to buy this bat. I really didnt sell it for the money because I guarantee you that a nice auction would have fetched more. But, I know and wanted you to have a quality Alex piece in your collection. Im glad you are happy.

Regards,
                Juan Iglesias
                GrndSlm@aol.com

Well said Juan. Thats what collecting IS all about...appreciation of and for. I'm glad to see this happened as I was curious why Tony had his A Rod auto'd baseball collection on ebay. Hats off to both of you gentleman. This is what this hobby is all about.

wade

Comment

• mariner_gamers
                  • May 2008

Very, very, nice gamer!! I am soooo jealous!!!
                  Davis Emburey
                  demburey@netzero.net
                  Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Comment

• allstarsplus
                    • Nov 2005

Regards,
                    Juan Iglesias
                    GrndSlm@aol.com
                    Juan - That was a really nice thing you did for Tony given that the bat has been in your personal collection for over 13 years, and also of thinking of Tony and his collection versus putting several hundred dollars more in your pocket if you put it in an auction. Given the timing of how ARod is playing, his items are probably selling at a very big premium now.

I just looked at bats on eBay and there's a Best Offer ARod HR #552 bat with 3 offers and an asking price of $8,999 and it is a Grand Slam bat!!!!!

Your bat in my opinion is more special as it was his ARod's 1st Grand Slam!

Great to read nice things like this!
                    Regards,
                    Andrew Lang
                    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                    202-716-8500

Comment

• joelsabi
                      • Aug 2005

Regards,
                      Juan Iglesias
                      GrndSlm@aol.com

Juan,

This is what makes this hobby so great. Peope like you make this a great hobby.

I never offered to buy your bat because I knew it was out of my price range. No doubt you could have fetched a good amount of change for this item.

I am glad this super unique item is in the hand of a great ARod fan and through your generosity and kindness made this happen.

Regards,

Joel

Tony,

I remember another thread where you showed me the photo of this bat. I knew right then and there that was going into your collection sometime in the future. I just didn't know it was going to happen so soon. I am so happy for you.

Regards

Joel
                      Regards,
                      Joel S.
                      joelsabi @ gmail.com
                      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• markize
                        • Apr 2008

Tony,

good for you!!! It couldn't have happened to a better person-you deserveed it!! The bat looks great!

Juan,

classy move!

Mark

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by 3arod13
                          If you look in the background of Juan's picture of his collection, you can see this signed Arod picture on the wall, which is the third picture down on the left side.
                          Juan,

I remember reading about Jose Canseco and Alex Rodriguez going to Cuba on a relief trip. So you were there as well. Just wanted background on what was actually done. I think it shows that Jose Canseco does have a good side in him but its never publicized.

Regards,

Joel
                          Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com
                          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• 3arod13
                            • Apr 2006

Many thanks to all of you for the kinds words. unbelievable forum! Unbelievable people! Many of you have made the comment “We are like a family.” Whether during good times, bad times, misunderstandings, disagreements, etc., in the end, we are a family.

I’ve been told by a few individuals who sell game used memorabilia that GUU is nothing but a bunch of individuals who are clueless, and add nothing but negativity to the GU hobby. Well, I realize why that was said. GUU is a threat to many out there who aren’t doing business honestly, and GUU usually uncovers those individuals. GUU makes those individuals constantly having to look over their shoulders, because they know GUU is watching. I also know that many of those who made those comments to me, come to this forum to read what is being said, but never post. That tells me that GUU is making a big difference in the GU hobby.

Kudos to all of you! I trust your opinions, before anyone else.

Regards, Tony
                            Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• 3arod13
                              • Apr 2006

Regards,
                              Juan Iglesias
                              GrndSlm@aol.com

Juan, as I have been doing for the past few weeks, and will continue to do so for years to come, I can’t thank you enough for giving me the opportunity to obtain such a quality and significant bat as this one to my Arod collection. As you and I both know, you could have received much more for the bat than what I paid. However, it was more important for you to do a nice thing for a fellow collector, than it was to put more money in your pocket. I truly admire and commend you for your thoughtfulness and kindness.

I think it’s really nice that this bat can be documented from Arod, to you, and then to me.

The bat will always be the prize piece in my collection.

Regards, Tony
                              Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

Working...