PDA

View Full Version : University of Oregon jerseys for sale

hblakewolf
06-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Forum readers-

As an Oregon Alum, I was sent an email offering football jerseys.

Nowhere does any of the info on the jerseys indicate if the players name is still on the back, and likewise, who wore the jersey! All they list is the year and #.

I wrote to the folks at Oregon with my question, and was sent this reply:
Howard.

Due to NCAA regulations we are unable to provide any information on what players wore individual jerseys. As for if each jersey is game-worn we are unable to guarantee if each was game worn because each jersey number has up to three alternate jerseys that can be used if one is torn or not. For each number some were used in games, while some were never needed to be used during a game. Due to this we can not guarantee which jerseys saw actual game play and which did not.

Thank you for your support of Oregon Athletics.

Site Support

Can a Forum reader shed light on this-is this indeed a NCAA rule? Furthermore, is it really that difficult to determine if a shirt is worn?

Any info. is appreciated.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

This email was delivered based on your request to receive Football news.
http://www.goducks.com/pics19/0/DJ/DJMYJDIVSARDXNA.20060605173331.jpg (http://www.goducks.com/sell/SellHome.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&_MODE_=AUCTION&AUCTIONS_LIST=CURRENT)

Don't miss your chance to own an authentic team-used Oregon Football jersey!

For a limited time bid on one of nine authentic team-used Oregon Football jerseys on GoDucks.com. Each jersey jersey comes with a certificate of authenticity from the Oregon Athletic Department.

To view all available jerseys and to bid now, click here (http://www.goducks.com/sell/SellHome.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&_MODE_=AUCTION&AUCTIONS_LIST=CURRENT)

if ((parent != null) && (parent.ProcessCommand != null)) parent.ProcessCommand('bodyLoaded', true);

collegejersey.com
06-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Howard,

I received a question in the "expert forum" about your post and was asked to comment. I wanted to clarify the explanation you received and throw in my "2 cents".
The response you received from "site support" has TWO points, and I will comment on each -

POINT ONE -
"Due to NCAA regulations we are unable to provide any information on what players wore individual jerseys."

Response -
The "regulations" they are referring to are most likely NCAA BYLAW 12.5.2.2. Here is the link if you would like to read it yourself -

https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/lsdbi/LSDBi.LSDBiPackage.DisplayBylaw?p_Division=1&p_IndexName=ManualIndex&p_PkValue=269&p_TextTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDuplica ted&p_TitleTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDuplic ated&p_BylawNum=12.5.2.2&p_Text=1_12_5_2_2.HTML&p_ViewAdopted=Adopted&p_BylawType=0&p_ProposedDate=&p_AdoptedDate=&p_EffectiveDate=01-JAN-2000&p_HeadFoot=1&p_CallCount=1

This is were it gets a bit complicated. This NCAA bylaw states that an "individual or agency" cannot sell a commercial item or promote a commercial product in which a student athlete's name or likeness appears. If you read that carefully, it doesn't say anything about the school doing so. In in other words, the SCHOOL IS ALLOWED, at least according to my reading. Now, relative to this particular auction, I am not sure if "the school" i.e. Oregon, is actually selling the jersey or if it is a separate entity, their website provider. If it is their provider, the current player names cannot be on the jerseys. If however, it is the school, technically they can.

You next question I am sure is why do they respond like that?

In my opinion, the reason is that the schools take a very conservative reading of all the regulations, so as not to get any NCAA sanctions. If you look at the cost/benefit of this, it makes sense. Even if they are going way overboard in terms of following the rules (in this case following rules which don't exist). To give you an example, they won't risk sanctions against a player by selling his jersey and telling you the name that is or was on it for the benefit of a few hundred dollars. As an alum, I am sure you would agree that you don't want to lose a starter to sell his jersey for a few hundred bucks! This brings me back to my original point, I don't believe there is any risk at all, however as most of us have read or heard about, the NCAA seems to make some strange decisions, so the schools don't want to take any chances.

POINT TWO -
"As for if each jersey is game-worn we are unable to guarantee if each was game worn because each jersey number has up to three alternate jerseys that can be used if one is torn or not. For each number some were used in games, while some were never needed to be used during a game. Due to this we can not guarantee which jerseys saw actual game play and which did not."

Response -
I am going to make a shameless plug here....this is completely true, and do you know why? Because the school athletic department is just that, an athletic department, not a business. This is the reason I founded www.collegejersey.com (http://www.collegejersey.com) These are great jerseys and other game worn items, and the schools are unable to provide the information customers want in order to sell them. This is what we do. We acquire jerseys,helmets, pants, etc., etc., and research them, then GUARANTEE that there were game worn, team issued, or whatever they may be. Bottom line here, the schools don't have the resources to go through all these jerseys to determine what is what.

Hope this helps in your query. Anything else I can answer for you, let me know.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott O. Kent
President

www.collegejersey.com (http://www.collegejersey.com)
Game Used Jerseys and More...
Get the real deal.
11965 SW 142nd Terrace
Suite 109
Miami, FL 33186

877.251.GAME | Toll-Free
sales@collegejersey.com (sales@collegejersey.com) | Email

hblakewolf
06-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Scott-
Thanks a ton for the amazing, detailed information. I's sure I'm not the only one who has learned a ton!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Nathan
06-08-2006, 10:08 PM
To add on to what Scott has already said, the NCAA regulations regarding an athlete's image or name applies for as long as that particular player has remaining eligibility remaining. This is why, when a school sells jerseys, those of underclassmen normally have the name removed while those of graduating seniors or players leaving for one reason or another usually keep the name on the back.

But I do have two questions for Scott regarding the Miami jerseys. The first is, how is collegejersey.com able to provide jerseys of underclassmen with the name still attached (or was it removed and then restored), and the second is whether the 2005 jerseys currently for sale have the names intact or whether they were removed.

Mike Grueber
06-09-2006, 04:51 AM
Nathan,

On a similar note, why do we see so many game-worn NCAA hockey jerseys with the player's name still attached? I've recently seen several game-worn 2005/06 game-worn University of Michigan hockey jerseys with the player's name still attached, including some worn by freshmen players.

Interestingly enough, though, the University of Michigan game-worn football jerseys that were sold at a team sale back in the late 1980s all ha the names removed.

Mike Grueber

PK
06-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Howard, my wife is also an Oregon alum and I have been looking into some Oregon gamers as well. In previous years they have had their annual "garage sale" where they sell equipment, but I think 2004 was the last year they did that. I believe they sold football gamers for $50 on first come first serve basis. I guess they are seeing the demand and decided to do things themselves. Wonder why they only listed 9 of them?

Scott, also wondering why you are able to sell jerseys with names when you wrote the following.....
This is were it gets a bit complicated. This NCAA bylaw states that an "individual or agency" cannot sell a commercial item or promote a commercial product in which a student athlete's name or likeness appears.

Would also like to know how specifically you research the jerseys? and is the research done after you get the jerseys or during the season while they are still in the possession of the school? Do you have exclusives with any schools? Are you working on a tagging system like Meigray for jerseys you sell?

Looking forward to hearing more.