PDA

View Full Version : Performance enhancing Drugs

cohibasmoker
06-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Man, does baseball have a problem with performance enhancing drugs. To me, the players are at fault but the greater fault lies with those in the MLB Commissioners office. It was/is their responsibility to safeguard the game from abuse and their tolerance of the use of performance enhancing drugs could quite possibly ruin the game. The guilty players, along with the Commissioner Bud Selig and his staff should all be banned from the game as well as the Hall of Fame.

trsent
06-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Man, does baseball have a problem with performance enhancing drugs. To me, the players are at fault but the greater fault lies with those in the MLB Commissioners office. It was/is their responsibility to safeguard the game from abuse and their tolerance of the use of performance enhancing drugs could quite possibly ruin the game. The guilty players, along with the Commissioner Bud Selig and his staff should all be banned from the game as well as the Hall of Fame.

The final sentence is a little harsh, but my point all along about abuse in the late 1990s - the offices of MLB didn't make any rules about the drugs being used when they knew it was taking place. No one will be suspended from the past, maybe newer offenses, but baseball cannot make-up for what it knew was happening in the past because they turned their back to the problem.

I would love to see Bud Selig resign already.

Oh yeah, and George Bush also.

cohibasmoker
06-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Joel, Bud took office in 1998. Just about the time most of the allegations began to surface. It was Bud's watch not someone else's.

trsent
06-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Joel, Bud took office in 1998. Just about the time most of the allegations began to surface. It was Bud's watch not someone else's.

I believe the Bud Selig era really started in 1992 when he was Executive Council Chairman and titled Acting Commissioner before being given the job full time in 1998 as you state.

I believe Bud's watch was during the height of abuse of this drug in the game's history and he is partially to blame for turning his head. He is now trying to back-step the issue, which he could have made rules and drug testing years earlier that he didn't to help pump back up a declining attendance.