PDA

View Full Version : Watch for falling prices...

byergo
06-07-2006, 10:33 PM
no not at Wal-Mart, but collectors of current stars may take a major financial hit with the fallout of the Grimsley investigation for steroids/HGH. Apparently at least 10 names have been dropped to the Feds. Let the witchhunt begin!

mjkm90
06-08-2006, 04:51 AM
That coincides with what I've said all along. Buy vintage only! Stan Musial and Roberto Clemente will never have a career ending injury or a scandal that will destroy their credibility and name.

ghostkid
06-08-2006, 07:44 AM
...and Babe Ruth will never be kicked out of the HOF for his performance de-enhancing hot dog & drinking exploits...

cohibasmoker
06-08-2006, 08:05 AM
MLB has a serious problem. If MLB can't or won't handle it, I guess someone else will.

I am sure more will follow. The players use and the Commissioner's office inaction may have dealt MLB a serious blow.

mr.miracle
06-08-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't purpose to be an expert by any means on HGH and other steroid type products. However, currently no major sport in the United States tests for HGH. One would think that this could be just as big of a problem in the NFL if not even greater given the need for superior size, strength and speed. From what I am hearing based on the arguements about testing for HGH, there is currently no test available that is 100% accurate despite the insistence of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) whose own chairman Dick Pound is a complete moron to begin with so little credence can be given to what WADA has to say. Testing in whatever capacity is believed to be available for HGH requires a blood test something that none of the major sports currently have in place. You had better believe that if the Commissioners office goes after this additional test with the players union, Donald Fehr will fight this tooth and nail.

One of the porposals by ESPN senior writer Buster Olney last night on ESPN was that MLB should institute a policy where both urine and blood samples are drawn, labeled and securely stored for however long is necessary to develop a 100% accurate test for HGH. The players should be told that however long it takes, 6 months, 3 years, 6 years etc. when the ability to test accuractely is developed, the players will be held accountable for whatever is found by the test and will face whatever punishment is appropriate. We all know however that as fast as tests are developed to screen for illegal substances, the people developing the illegal substances are usually three steps ahead and have already developed a new substances that is undetectable or a masking agent etc. Anyone who thinks this story is done is kidding themselves as we are likely to have some level of issue for the next ten years or longer. A day is likely never to arrive where somebody is not trying to develop a way to cheat.

I liked the analogy last night by Buster Olney when he said that MLB currently has HGH on the banned substance list. However, he said that is like saying it is against the law to speed, and oh, by the way, we have no radar guns and no speed detecting equipment. In the absence of a strong deterent, many people are going to find a way to cheat the system. Especially when at the end of road waiting for them is the almighty dollar, fame, fortune, etc.

Brett