X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skipcareyisfat
    • Nov 2005

The other Ty Cobb

Guys-
    Many of you probably still have subscriptions to SCD (I don't), so you might've already seen this in the May 5 issue. For those who didn't see it, Jim Stinson recently published a lengthy 2(?)-part article that sheds a more flattering and humane light on the life of Ty Cobb. It's a fascinating look at a guy whom we never seem to hear anything good about, while wholly discrediting Al Stump, Cobb's biographer, to a point where I'd personally love to see Cobb's biography rewritten. Maybe I'm alone on this one, but most of this was news to me, especially the part about DiMaggio.

"The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."
  • earlywynnfan
    • Oct 2005

Re: The other Ty Cobb

There is another bio out there on Cobb, by Charles Alexander, I believe, that is very even-handed. It includes some of his jerky moments that Stinson seems to have ignored, but overall I was left with a positive opinion of Cobb.

Ken

Comment

• skipcareyisfat
      • Nov 2005

Re: The other Ty Cobb

Thanks. I'll have to check that out. While on the subject of good baseball books, i just finished Glory of Their Times by Lawrence Ritter and it's a must read.
      "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Comment

Working...