PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever created a website for a fav player or player they follow?

brianborsch
10-24-2009, 02:56 PM
I know that by collecting game used items from our favorite players, it brings us closer to the game, but have any of you fans created a website dedicated to your favorite player(s) or following your favorite player(s)? To me this would bring you closer to the game as well.

I would imagine obtaining a good domain name would be difficult as the domain name sharks are always on it!

I am thinking about this. I just have to find a player that the sharks haven't jumped on yet as I want the basic website address (i.e.- rogerclemens.com or alexrodriguez.com).

schubert1970
10-24-2009, 04:20 PM
In the early 90's I made my first web site dedicated to Hank Aaron, then made another for Mark Mcgwire.

The Mcgwire web site got me into some trouble. I purchased the name mcgwire.com and Mark found out about it, he actually like the web site and he asked if I wanted to meet him before a game in Oakland (this was just before he got traded.) He was nice enough and asked more questions about why I created the site.

When Mark was traded to the Cards, the web site really took off and everytime he hit a home run, I would upload the vido clip of it. Now it seems silly, but back then video was a big deal. As Mark approached the single season record my web site traffic was sky high, my provider needed to charge me to keep it running. Up to this point they hosted the site for free but now with so much traffic I need to pay for the usage.

I asked Mark's attorney if he could help out. I came up with several solutions and they all got shot down. At this point I decided to sell the domain name in an auction and this made big news. I kind of received my 15 minutes of fame. I did interviews with several tv stations and tons of papers. This was alse just befroe Mark broke the record.

A few days before the auction was to take place, I was faxed a letter from Mark's attorney to pull the domain name out of the auction or else. I talked with a family attorney who told me I was SOL and I should pull it out of the auction.

A few years later, I sold the name to a good friend of mine and bought a house.

Sorry for the long post.

Bill

joelsabi
10-24-2009, 04:41 PM

Bill

Did you buy a house solely on the proceeds from the domain name?

staindsox
10-24-2009, 05:01 PM
I only really actively collect game used items of two players (Joe Mauer and Jack Hannahan), so creating a site for each collection didn't take a great moment of inspiration. I just use a freewebs site. At this point, I'm not hardcore enough to want to pay for a domain name, so for the time being, I have www.jackhannahan.webs.com (http://www.jackhannahan.webs.com)

As far as Major Leaguers go, Jack is a nobody .220 hitter, but he's somebody I went to school with and followed for 12 years before he got a cup of coffee in the Majors. I have been adding explanations on most of the items I have posted, which in some ways is also biographical because I explain where he was in his career when he used the piece. It's a fun side hobby to add to the collecting and an easy way to share your collecton with anyone who might want to take a look. It's certainly not a new idea. I know a lot of others here do the same thing too and I have really enjoyed all the sites you guys have created and shared...even if I don't have much interest in the guys you collect.

Chris

metsbats
10-24-2009, 05:13 PM
I started this website a couple of years ago and have not had any time to update or finish it. It's a lot of work.

I have my favorite players and teams on it.

David

www.metsbats.webs.com (http://www.metsbats.webs.com)

otismalibu
10-24-2009, 06:38 PM
I'd made up a page at Geocities, years ago. Basically, just a bunch of links pasted on a home page. Eventually figured out how to make multiple pages. Still pretty bush league, but it served it's purpose.

Last year I built a duplicate using freewebs. Pretty easy and even just using on of their templates, it's not bad.

I think I pay something like $7/year for the ad-free page thru freewebs and about the same for the domain name thru Go Daddy.

Glad I moved. Geocities is toast in 2 more days.

allstarsplus
10-24-2009, 07:36 PM
In the early 90's I made my first web site dedicated to Hank Aaron, then made another for Mark Mcgwire.

The Mcgwire web site got me into some trouble. I purchased the name mcgwire.com and Mark found out about it, he actually like the web site and he asked if I wanted to meet him before a game in Oakland (this was just before he got traded.) He was nice enough and asked more questions about why I created the site.

When Mark was traded to the Cards, the web site really took off and everytime he hit a home run, I would upload the vido clip of it. Now it seems silly, but back then video was a big deal. As Mark approached the single season record my web site traffic was sky high, my provider needed to charge me to keep it running. Up to this point they hosted the site for free but now with so much traffic I need to pay for the usage.

I asked Mark's attorney if he could help out. I came up with several solutions and they all got shot down. At this point I decided to sell the domain name in an auction and this made big news. I kind of received my 15 minutes of fame. I did interviews with several tv stations and tons of papers. This was alse just befroe Mark broke the record.

A few days before the auction was to take place, I was faxed a letter from Mark's attorney to pull the domain name out of the auction or else. I talked with a family attorney who told me I was SOL and I should pull it out of the auction.

Sorry for the long post.

Bill

Cool story. Didn't Randall Hahn buy it? Back in 1998, Randall was the man on everything McGwire and especially the real sigs!

jays78
10-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Great Topic.

My family and I became big Rod Barajas fans when he first came to the Jays. I've done hobby websites before, and really it is a lot of fun, and cheap (although I rarely have time to update or add to it due to 2 young kids).

I wanted www.rodbarajas.com but it was taken, with the usual "parked with links" so I made a note of when it's registration was due to expire, and was able to pick it up for only $9 through Godaddy (with free hosting!) when it did expire and the previous owner didn't renew. Really..... people spend more for one pack of baseball cards now!

I still need to get some picks of my GU Barajas bats up there!

www.rodbarajas.com

Thanks,

Bill

suicide_squeeze
10-24-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm going to start one.

It'll be in honor of great closing pitchers for the Dodgers.

The site will be called GAME_OVER!!@lard-ass.com

It will feature Jonathan Broxton, but be named in honor of Eric Gagne's calling card.

Why?

Very simple.

When each came into the game, it was "GAME OVER!!". Just with very different results, however.....

Batter:

"OH LOOK......here comes a Jonathan Broxton FASTBALL!!!" http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/baseball.gif"CRACK!"

suicide_squeeze
10-24-2009, 10:09 PM

Sorry for the long post.

Bill

Bill,

Damn, man, that IS quite a story!! I'll have to call you and get the particulars.....that's really cool!

Steve

schubert1970
10-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Did you buy a house solely on the proceeds from the domain name?

No, but a nice down payment.

schubert1970
10-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Cool story. Didn't Randall Hahn buy it? Back in 1998, Randall was the man on everything McGwire and especially the real sigs!

It was bought by Randall, and he's a great guy. He really helped me out a lot with my Mcgwire collection and the web site.

frikativ54
10-24-2009, 11:44 PM
I have http://www.bagwellgameused.com for my Jeff Bagwell game-used memorabilia collection. Some valuable baseball cards are listed on there too.

3arod13
10-25-2009, 05:54 AM
It was bought by Randall, and he's a great guy. He really helped me out a lot with my Mcgwire collection and the web site.

It's an awesome website. I used it alot when comparing Mark McGwire signatures.

http://www.mcgwire.com/

Randall is a great guy!

Regards, Tony