PDA

View Full Version : Missing Majestic wash or strip tag - major red flag?

Oil Can Dan
06-09-2006, 10:58 PM
I recently purchased a Pedro Martinez 2003 jersey. This jersey arrived today and when I went to check for '0063' vs '6200' I noticed there's no wash tag at all anywhere on the jersey. Clearly this is something I should have found out before I bid, but now that it's done I'm wondering if anyone else has seen a wash tag removed. This particular jersey has the additional material in the sleeves that Pedro likes and seems to be in good order other than the missing tag.

What do you think? Is this a major red flag or may this be relatively common practice?

sportscentury
06-09-2006, 11:19 PM
OCD,

Normally, this would be a red flag (and it still may be), but the one thing about Pedro is that he is really particular about how his jerseys feel. He is very "into" comfort. So, perhaps he took it out because it was bothering him. This would not be the first time a player did such a thing. Look at all of the real Rickey Henderson gamers where he hacked several inches off of the tail (don't get me wrong, I've seen several fakes that have been cut to look like Rickey had his way with them, too). So, it may be okay. My only concern is that I've never heard of any other Pedro jerseys that are known to be real and are missing inside tagging. I definitely don't think it is a "relatively common practice" because, in general, I only occasionally see it or hear of it.

I have a feeling that this thread is going to see a story about a Clemens jersey. Just a hunch.

Good luck with your Pedro shirt ... you definitely want to inspect this kind of thing up front next time.

Reid

Oil Can Dan
06-10-2006, 01:48 AM
Perhaps this is a stooopid question, but *should* there be a wash tag on this considering it's a 2003? I've been looking around on old threads here and around the net and I'm beginning to think that these tags only started appearing on non-BP uniforms in 2005 once Majestic replaced Russell (do I have this correct?).

It's late and I'm a bit loopy, so forgive me if I'm off base here.

sportscentury
06-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Let's take a step back. Your title states: "Missing MAJESTIC wash or strip tag - major red flag?" Your original note also suggested that the wash tag was removed.

What manufacturer produced the jersey in question? Red Sox game jerseys in 2003 were Russell, weren't they? I thought you were talking about a BP jersey - I do not know who made the Red Sox BP jerseys in 2003, so based on your title, I thought we were talking about a Majestic BP jersey. One thing is for sure, if it is not a Majestic jersey, it should not have Majestic tagging. The wash tag you are talking about is a Majestic tag. Is there no Russell mfr. tag on your jersey?

trsent
06-10-2006, 10:53 AM
I recently purchased a Pedro Martinez 2003 jersey. This jersey arrived today and when I went to check for '0063' vs '6200' I noticed there's no wash tag at all anywhere on the jersey. Clearly this is something I should have found out before I bid, but now that it's done I'm wondering if anyone else has seen a wash tag removed. This particular jersey has the additional material in the sleeves that Pedro likes and seems to be in good order other than the missing tag.

What do you think? Is this a major red flag or may this be relatively common practice?

Save your time on your debate with your 2003 Pedro Martinez jersey:

There were not wash tags on Russell jerseys, only Majestic.

Oil Can Dan
06-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, thanks guys. I'm a knucklehead. I shouldn't have written Majestic in the title and I should see this wash tag as it's not supposed to be there. I apologize for the clutter.