PDA

View Full Version : Sandberg Bat - Charitybats.com

5kRunner
10-29-2009, 10:42 PM
The seller won't answer my question regarding the length and weight of this bat.

I can't get past this statement in my Malta book. "Numerous K55 model bats with a natural finsih, and flame burned B267 bats, were sold to sporting goods suppliers, made without regard to weight."

But 10% goes to charity. :rolleyes:

5kRunner
10-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Forgot the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ryne-Sandberg-Game-Used-Bat-Signed-Chicago-Cubs-80s_W0QQitemZ330370705689QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item4ceba0e919

STLHAMMER32
10-29-2009, 11:15 PM
There are many things that worry me about the bats he has listed. I'm not saying they are not legit but I do have some concerns. Soriano he has listed is not right, theres no way he used it in a game...it shows no characteristics all of his gamers show. Griffey is missing the classic tape job. I know he didnt always use it but you would like to see it to feel more comfortable. The Mcgwire's pine tar isn't what I would call comforting either it just doesnt look right especially around the handle. Overall I'm not sure about them actually using them in games but they all seem to be legit game model bats. The Waner and Sandberg both concern me for being even player models...Any one else have any thoughts?

ndevlin
10-30-2009, 12:22 AM
I know hes a forum member here, for he promotes his auctions often on here and through emails.

The Galarraga bat, I dont see the "exceptional game use". Perhaps pictures of the "heavy coat of tar extending down the midsection of the handle", would help.

The Tim Raines bat, what is on the knob, a 13? Why isnt this part of the description?

emann
10-30-2009, 01:00 AM
The Tim Raines bat, what is on the knob, a 13? Why isnt this part of the description?

Yeah, I saw that also, stopped me from bidding...

In addition to that chunk that appears to be missing off the back side of the barrel (seen from the end of barrel only in one shot). It isn't in the description or shown in pics.

STLHAMMER32
10-30-2009, 01:11 AM
I planned on bidding on the Pujols but I can't do it now just because of the group its with....one questionable bat maybe even two I could justify... but too many questions to bid on the bat now. I like charities but not that much;)

ndevlin
10-30-2009, 01:51 AM
I planned on bidding on the Pujols but I can't do it now just because of the group its with....one questionable bat maybe even two I could justify... but too many questions to bid on the bat now. I like charities but not that much;)

One bad/questionable bat really makes you question the others, I agree.

bagbig
10-30-2009, 08:02 AM
I love the fact that they are charity auctions and he is only donating 10% to charity. Seems like a stretch to me. Don't get me wrong, donations are great, but I think the intention here is to get much higher prices since they are "charity" auctions and then only donate 10%.

STLHAMMER32
10-30-2009, 08:21 AM
I love the fact that they are charity auctions and he is only donating 10% to charity. Seems like a stretch to me. Don't get me wrong, donations are great, but I think the intention here is to get much higher prices since they are "charity" auctions and then only donate 10%.

While something is better than nothing, it does seem a little sketchy for me as well. WhatI am seeing is the lesser valued bats look great like the Bret Boone...but then the high value bats are ALL very questionable looking...theres not one that I can look at and say yep that has great characteristics.

5kRunner
10-30-2009, 08:23 AM

Agreed. One rotten apple spoils the bunch.

I was excited to see the Sandberg, because I really want to add a LVS to my collection. But if I can't get the seller to at least tell me the length of the bat, NO WAY am I going to bid. Who doesn't have a tape measure?

Funny how questions about shipping and where he got the bat (although vaguely) were answered.

STLHAMMER32
10-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Agreed. One rotten apple spoils the bunch.

I was excited to see the Sandberg, because I really want to add a LVS to my collection. But if I can't get the seller to at least tell me the length of the bat, NO WAY am I going to bid. Who doesn't have a tape measure?

Funny how questions about shipping and where he got the bat (although vaguely) were answered.

Vague is correct...I understand not wanting to give a source's name or ruin a connection but every bat is obtained through a source from their repective team it looks like. It just seems like an easy answer that is probably used like a quick text and saved for instant response. Some different background on a bat you think would come up...or is it just that simple, "came from a source from the....". I'm not sure what to think but if someone represents themselves the way he has as a legit seller website and all you would think weights and length would be among the information available. Its not like grandpa was cleaning out the attic and listed the bats he found. :p

5kRunner
10-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Seller has responded to your question about this item

34" and approx. 32 oz

Thanks for the response! :rolleyes:

I'm still staying away from it.

Rboitano
10-30-2009, 11:50 AM
I asked a question about the repaired crack on the Albert Pujols bat he has on auction, and here is the response I got.

Hello,
The handle crack extends on the back side of the handle and there is a 1cm x 1cm portion of wood that has been repaired with a filler. It is one of the nicest game used Pujols bats!
Good luck!

- jr24

ndevlin
10-30-2009, 12:17 PM
He is a forum member here. I dont see why he doesnt just answer all questions on here, but whatever.

bigtruck260
10-30-2009, 12:32 PM
RBoitano -

Not only is he a forum member, but he has been promoting these auctions...which seems like a forum violation since they link to his own auctions on eBay in various threads.

Here's one from a Tim Raines want thread:

Hey,

There is a Raines bat being sold through www.charitybats.com (http://www.charitybats.com/) on eBay right now. The eBay link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tim-Raines-Game-...4ceba0857a.php (http://cgi.ebay.com/Tim-Raines-Game-Used-Bat-Cooper-New-York-Yankees_W0QQitemZ330370680186QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ceba0857a.php)

Good Luck!

Rboitano
10-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I think you should make a mention in your auction that the bat has wood missing and that it has been filled in the filler. I would be very upset if I purchased a bat and did not know that it had filler in it .

camarokids
10-30-2009, 05:42 PM
His name is Ryan Hilbreath, used to live in Dunedin, FL. I used to see him at Devil Rays all the time. He is going to college now, or was last time I time we chatted.....