Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nationals2k9
    • Sep 2008

2000 Rawlings Bat - clear wood finish?

Hi all - just got a 2000 Rawlings bat in that checks out with all player characteristics. The only thing new to me since I don't own many Rawlings bats, is what looks like a thick coating of clear finish over the wood starting just below the trademark. So instead of the seam marks and leather transfers being directly on wood, they're on the finish protecting the wood.

Only question is whether or not this is standard procedure and if I need to be concerned at all. The bat is natural/blonde color.

Thanks! MB
  • PwKw13
    • Feb 2009

Re: 2000 Rawlings Bat - clear wood finish?

I have a Hoosier that has the same thick clear finish -- very unusual. In fact, where the ball made contact you can see tiny cracks in the finish. I don't have any other bats like it. Mine is from 2001, so maybe this is something that was more common during that timeframe.

Comment

• nationals2k9
      • Sep 2008

Yeah, the cracks appear here too in some cases.

Can anyone else weigh in on Rawlings specifically? I guess what I'm trying to guard against is this bat being a store model bat turned into something resembling a gamer. But it's got the 491B, 34/32, and batch/year code on the knob and barrel end so I'd think not. It almost appears it was dipped since the barrel end has a little extra collected on the very top of the bat.

Comment

• nationals2k9
        • Sep 2008

This thread talks some about similar things...

Comment

• brianborsch
          • Dec 2005

Whose bat is it? Can we see pics of it?

Comment

• nationals2k9
            • Sep 2008

I can't do photos from this computer... and it'd be hard to demonstrate without some extra clear pictures. It may just be your standard "dipped" finish and I'm just not used to it.

Bat is 2000 Manny, Indians.

Comment

• metsbats
              • Nov 2005

I own natural colored bats from the 2000 season which were unfinished and finished. It would depend on the preference of the player.

Some of the gamers I own from the 80's too are either finished or unfinished depending on the player.
              metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

Working...