PDA

View Full Version : Durene or Dureen?

both-teams-played-hard
10-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Why do some collectors spell it "durene" and others spell it "dureen"? In vintage ads and tagging, I have only seen "durene". Has anyone seen tagging spelled, "dureen"? It seems that hockey dealers and collectors spell it as "dureen".
My definition of durene:
"Durene is cotton. And in this case mercerized cotton. Mercerizing is the process of chemically treating the cotton to add shine and luster. It also slows down the shrinking process, adds durability and allows the cotton to absorb fabric dye easily. Durene is sometimes blended with nylon."

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9980/durene2.jpg

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/1879/durenesandknit.jpg

genius
10-30-2009, 08:48 PM
I think it's because a lot of people don't know it's spelled "durene" so sellers intentionally include the "dureen" version to make sure they show up on dureen searches.

sox83cubs84
10-30-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm in agreement with you, Warren, but it's a common misspelling. Even my company's authentication worksheets have it spelled "dureen" instead of "durene". Could the "dureen" spelling be British? The British influence may be the reason hockey collectors (a Canadian sport) use it.

Dave M.
Chicago area

flaco1801
10-30-2009, 09:30 PM
warren 2 tags ive never seen thanks, jeff

both-teams-played-hard
10-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Yea, I include dureen and durene on my eBay listings to get more exposure. Maybe the dureen spelling to hockey collectors is a Canadian/Euro thing. I seem to have seen "dureen" printed on a MFG tag at some point...maybe It was a dream.
Thanks fellas, for the replys.

cjw
10-31-2009, 01:42 AM
As a Canadian who has sold many durene hockey jerseys in the past, I too add the "dureen" spelling to my listings along with the correct "durene" as I thought it was a slang (or misspelled) version of the word that was used in the US - the home of a majority of my durene jersey buying customers.

Growing up in the East of Canada, French, our other official language, was more prevalent in my day to day than it is for me now as I live in the West. I would have thought the "re" spelling of durene would likely be the "Canadian-ized" version of the US dureen.....such as 'center' is spelled 'centre', 'theater' is spelled "theatre' and "meter', is 'metre' in Canada.

Despite all the jerseys....I had never seen a label describing the material before this thread...so, thanks!

G1X
10-31-2009, 08:26 AM
I would just like to add that durene is perhaps the sharpest-looking material ever used to make football jerseys. Photos don't do it justice.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Atlanta Falcons and WFL jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis equipment.

both-teams-played-hard
10-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Photos don't do it justice.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5887/minnruby2.jpg

Also, I believe that "dureen" is just a variation of a spelling, Not a misspelling. I still would like to see a manufacturer's tag spelled both ways.