Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fnazxc0114
    • Aug 2007

What player most reminds you of your childhood

I have two players. The first is steve beuchelle. the first rangers game i ever went to i remembered asking my day why everyone was booing him. Come to find out it was how they cheered for him. The second player would be ruben sierra. This is primarily due to i think he got robbed in 89 in the mvp. Well i dont really think he got robbed but it is my first memory of actually caring about baseball stats and such
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington
  • CampWest
    • May 2008

Re: What player most reminds you of your childhood

I'm going baseball on this answer.

Let's see... I grew up in KC. Was 6 in 1980 (AL Champs, think .390 batting average), and thereby 11 in 1985 (Royals WS)... Any guesses?

Yeah obviously George Brett is first and foremost. How could you not love him? The intensity, the passion, the competitiveness... and all that with his skill and talent. George Brett never jogged to first on a routine ground ball.

The rest all blend together closely behind. Frank White's consistent bat and gold glove defense. The under-appreciated hitting and awe inspiring speed of Willie Wilson (the great conundrum of my childhood - Wilson at first, second base empty, Brett hitting. Do you miss Wilson's masterful lead, jump and easy steal of second or did you miss watching Brett hitting? Answer was normally easy. Brett was taking a couple pitches to let Wilson get into scoring position, so watch Willie.). The kookiness of Cone and Saberhagen. A few years later it was the spectacle of Bo Jackson. Nolan Ryan we saw nearly every time he came to KC.

For a sleeper - Jim Eisenreich. I still recall sitting right behind the Royals dugout when late in the game Eisenreich blasted a liner to right center, the ball never got more than 15 feet off the ground, was out of the park in the blink of an eye as it smashed into the facade of the signage in the fountains. I believe to this day the ball was still climbing when it hit the fence. I don't know if I've ever seen another ball hit that hard, including McGwire batting practice. The ball was out of the stadium before anyone could react. Curtain call, crowd going nuts, WOW! what a moment.

They say we are a product of our times... being in KC growing up in the hey-day of the Royals, there is no way I could not answer that Brett most reminds me of my childhood. And while I never had his skill, I did absorb that relentless fight and competitiveness.

Any time I see Brett highlights, I feel like a little kid.
    sigpic
    Wes Campbell

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
      • Aug 2007

do you have any sundberg memories. hes the VP for the rangers and is really fan friendly
      Baseball do what it do
      -Ron Washington

Comment

• CampWest
        • May 2008

Originally posted by Fnazxc0114
        do you have any sundberg memories. hes the VP for the rangers and is really fan friendly
        Oh yeah of course... That whole stretch from late 70s to late 80s was a great time for baseball in KC. They had some great teams and a lot of great players. Jim was always fun to watch and clutch when the opportunity arose. I seem to remember more of John Wathan at catcher, but Sundberg's performance in 1985 was very memorable. Jim was only with the Royals for 85 & 86, so that brief stint is probably why he's not a bigger part of my memory. I think all Royals fans who remember the 85 World Series love Jim Sundberg, seems like he always gets a really warm reception when he is in town.
        sigpic
        Wes Campbell

Comment

• kingjammy24
          • Nov 2005

rudy.

Comment

• 33bird
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

Pete Rose and Johnny Bench. The Big Red Machine and the Moustache Gang. The hated Dodgers of Garvey and Cey. The hated Yanks of Reggie. The 70s were great!

Comment

• nomo121
              • May 2009

Mine will is Cecil Fielder and Mickey Tettleton. Being from detroit and then living in Texas, they were my favorite. I was the bigger kid, so Cecil was my hero. As many kids do, i held a bat kind of like tettleton. Over the years, I moved a lil away from that.

Comment

• Lokee
                Banned
                • May 2008

I grew up in Canada so natually it was Toronto.

Manny Lee
                Dave Stieb
                Jorge I mean George Bell

Also like Rudy Canseco, Thomas Griffey ect..

Comment

• emann
                  • Nov 2008

1. Wade Boggs
                  2. Just about any rookies from the '85 - '87 era baseball cards sets (Clemens, Puckett, McGwire, Canseco)
                  3. Pete Rose

Comment

• bigtruck260
                    • Sep 2007

Dale Murphy was everything to me as a little kid. He had power, speed and was just a great guy. I grew up in Lexington Park, MD before coming to St. Louis - and I watched all of the Braves games on WTBS in the earlier days of cable TV.

Honorable Mention:

Nolan Ryan
                    Terry Pendleton
                    Milt Thompson
                    Willie McGee
                    Rickey Henderson
                    Dave
                    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                    River City Redbird Authentics
                    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• skyking26
                      • Dec 2005

Dave Kingman
                      ROBERT KOPPEL
                      Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                      and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• corsairs22
                        • Apr 2008

The Great Roberto.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• metsbats
                          • Nov 2005

Any member of the 1973 Mets.
                          metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• Kid4hof03
                            • Nov 2005

Magic Johnson, I think I was about 16 when I finally realized it was going to be impossible to play "big" point guard at 5ft. 8.

Baseball it is Reggie and Mattingly. All I wanted for Christmas when I was 8 years old was a black wooden bat so I could be like Reggie. A few years after that I worked tirelessly at trying to copy Mattingly's batting stance.

I probably need to throw Pete Rose into the mix, any kid that ever slid head first was trying to be Pete.

Abe

Comment

• CampWest
                              • May 2008

Johnny Bench would be another one for me too... but not so much for his baseball playing

The Baseball Bunch was part of my every Saturday morning routine.

Originally posted by 33bird
                              Pete Rose and Johnny Bench. The Big Red Machine and the Moustache Gang. The hated Dodgers of Garvey and Cey. The hated Yanks of Reggie. The 70s were great!
                              sigpic
                              Wes Campbell

Comment

Working...