PDA

View Full Version : Players and staff with STICKY FINGERS?!?

STLHAMMER32
10-31-2009, 07:26 PM
I have been looking for McGwire gamers, its a a tough task to find a real gamer I am finding out! But anyways looking at some of the bats most of them I can recognize as being legit game model bats..the use is isnt usually correct or the bat has hardly any use. I then have to ask myself why did he stop using it? McGwire was well known for using a bat til it got deadwood or cracked. Most often if he stopped using an uncracked it was a gift and he would sign it..so....I got to wondering just how many bats were stolen from the Big Guy...staff, visitors or even players.

I remember reading about a spring training incident where another yankee trying to make the roster stole a Jeter bat and glove..he took it to a collect who paid him hansomly for the "find". I wonder how often it happens...

i also remember hearing stories of players marking other players numbers on bats as a way to make them less desirable for people as they saw them sticking out of the bat racks...For instance Glenallen Hill had problems with people taking his lumber and would mark a bench player's number on the knob of his bats...If Glenallen was having that problem you can only imagine guys like Pujols, rodriguez, jeter, howard have problems with missing bats...Anybody want to contribute a story or their thoughts on the missing bats problem?

kingjammy24
10-31-2009, 07:55 PM
I have been looking for McGwire gamers, its a a tough task to find a real gamer I am finding out!..

andy over at vintagebats.com has a nice mcgwire gamer.

rudy.

STLHAMMER32
10-31-2009, 08:06 PM
andy over at vintagebats.com has a nice mcgwire gamer.

rudy.

Thanks for the tip Rudy, I came across that bat while I was searching. It is no doubt a Mac gamer and it is signed nicely as well! I am looking for one from the cardinals but I may come back to this one if it is still available. Thanks again

Rboitano
10-31-2009, 08:56 PM
The sig on that bat is no good in my opinion. Its a shame because that was a really nice bat.

STLHAMMER32
10-31-2009, 09:01 PM
The sig on that bat is no good in my opinion. Its a shame because that was a really nice bat.

Sig looks ok to me..I would say its authentic... but the placement is a little weird and it is a bit small...I dunno

Rboitano
10-31-2009, 09:18 PM
I dont like the sig at all. Heres a 90 era example of a Mac sig.

Rboitano
10-31-2009, 09:21 PM
close up

STLHAMMER32
10-31-2009, 09:23 PM
I dont like the sig at all. Heres a 90 era example of a Mac sig.

the one on the bat seems much shorter, this would be characteristic of a ballpark sig or hurried auto..usually he takes his time on a game bat. I am undecided on this one...leaning towards authentic still tho. If it isn't someone ruined a really great bat. No doubt about the useage on the bat being from McGwire.

STLHAMMER32
10-31-2009, 09:27 PM
close up

This looks authentic to me, what part are you finding questionable?

joelsabi
10-31-2009, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=STLHAMMER32;168338]

I remember reading about a spring training incident where another yankee trying to make the roster stole a Jeter bat and glove..he took it to a collect who paid him hansomly for the "find". I wonder how often it happens...
QUOTE]

Probably not as often. Is it really worth it to a MLB player to lose his job like Rueben Rivera did over a Jeter glove. Hope not.

Rboitano
10-31-2009, 09:29 PM
The use is great on that bat, I would have snatched it up if it wasnt for that sig.

STLHAMMER32
10-31-2009, 09:34 PM
[quote=STLHAMMER32;168338]

Probably not as often. Is it really worth it to a MLB player to lose his job like Rueben Rivera did over a Jeter glove. Hope not.

I hope not but you wonder what spring training invitees might take as parting gifts after first cuts..:p

STLHAMMER32
10-31-2009, 09:34 PM
The use is great on that bat, I would have snatched it up if it wasnt for that sig.

Is that your bat collection?

Rboitano
10-31-2009, 09:36 PM
I dont like anything about the autograph, every thing is a little off.

Rboitano
10-31-2009, 09:38 PM
Yes it is, got my first in 96. It was a 95 A's bat that I got from Ball Park Heroes. Wish I still had it!

STLHAMMER32
10-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Yes it is, got my first in 96. It was a 95 A's bat that I got from Ball Park Heroes. Wish I still had it!

That is a very nice collection. Do you remember what price you paid for your first bat..did you sell it after the 98 explosion? I am collecting Mac right now and its much cheaper than it was before the steroid controversy took over. I have a couple mac gamers from oakland signed one vintage and one from early 90's..looking to add cardinal bats now...congrats on the collection...was the hunt fun? I am enjoying mine

Rboitano
10-31-2009, 09:50 PM
I think it was around $300 back then, I traded it and cash for a 99 Mac bat. I enjoy collecting Mac bats because he is my favorite player, and authentic bats from him are rare. What years A's bats do you have? Im looking to get a bat from every year 87-01.

skyking26
10-31-2009, 09:55 PM
close up
Sig looks ok, seen alot of them...it's tight, but consistant I believe.

Any other Mac guys wanna chime in on the sig??

Rboitano
10-31-2009, 09:58 PM
It looks sloppy, dont like the a and the k or the second m or the e and g. I have seen a lot too and I wouldnt put that in my collection.

sox83cubs84
11-01-2009, 03:42 PM
At the height of his career, Don Mattingly was having bats disappear at a quick rate. His solution? He began marking the knobs with numbers like 3, 4, 15, 37...all retired Yankee uniform numbers.

Dave M.
Chicago area

STLHAMMER32
11-01-2009, 06:00 PM
At the height of his career, Don Mattingly was having bats disappear at a quick rate. His solution? He began marking the knobs with numbers like 3, 4, 15, 37...all retired Yankee uniform numbers.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Great Story...I am hearing more and more like this...There might be some confusion with collecters on some of these bats with different numbers that dont match up right :p

cohibasmoker
11-02-2009, 08:39 AM

Dave M.
Chicago area

I still have a 1991 Yankees yearbook and on page 24, there is a great shot of Mattingly with a #7 on the knob of his bat.