PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Caps

RJB44
11-02-2009, 06:29 PM
I typically focus my collecting efforts GU knit jerseys, although I have started thinking about acquiring some caps to go along with my jerseys. I have checked some of the GU caps offered on EBay and other various action sites. however I am very hesitant, as are probably many folks. It seems that the majority of these caps only have a hand (magic marker) written number or name under the bill, and with that, they are branded as game used by the (named/numbered) player. I have seen countless caps from supposedly HOFers that have just a hand written number underneath. Some of the asking prices for these mid 70's to mid 80's caps are typically in the $200 - $300 range. I would think even an unmarked, or non-high profile player's cap from that era would probably fetch under $100. About two years ago, a friend of mine bought a 1979 Dodger’s coaches cap for around $55.00, if I recall correctly.

Are there any published resources available for collecting caps, like there are for jerseys? It appears that New Era was the primary supplier of caps during that time, but where can you get information on the different variations, styles, etc. I have seen some retro hats that are identical to period caps, unlike the retro jerseys.

I made an interesting observation on Pirates Spring Training caps from 1983 and will post a new thread, hopefully to solicit some input from Pirates Collectors
Thanks