PDA

View Full Version : Sending items to be autographed thru the mail...

grenda12
11-02-2009, 09:07 PM
I was just wondering how the actual shipping part and the return of the item is done.

frikativ54
11-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I was just wondering how the actual shipping part and the return of the item is done.

Are you sending through a company or to a player's home? If the latter, try a SASE. If the former, call or email them and ask their policy. I would caution on sending memorabilia through the mail, directly to the athlete.

Many items (even from minor stars) are never sent back, and there's no way to prove that the guy signed it. Some of the through the mail autos are signed by players' family or other hired help.

If it's much of a bother to send the memorabilia back (star or rookie), then I wouldn't have the faith in the athlete to do it. Imagine what a hassle it would be, if you were in the player's shoes.

-Frik

grenda12
11-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks for not really answering my question. Im looking at sending a box to a player's house.

How is the item boxed up to have it returned?

ironmanfan
11-03-2009, 10:54 AM
I would consider sending a "box (or padded envelope) within the box" pre-addressed to you with the appropriate postage already applied, ready to go...When I send a baseball to a player to get signed I do something similar with padded envelopes (one envelope being slighty smaller than the other, but still big enough to house the ball).

CampWest
11-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for not really answering my question.

I think he did answer your question... Provide a "SASE" or in this case a SASBox/return shipping label.

Now everybody knows you dont want an envelope, but rather a box... You did not indicate that in your original post. Being specific greatly increases your odds of getting the response you are looking for.

Anyhow, the concept of a SASE is exactly the answer. You can either provide a sticker with prepaid shipping label and postage to go over the outbound postage of the original packaging you sent. You may want to consider providing packing tape as well... Or you can have a return box inside your shipping box (like IronMan said), with all necessary packaging, labeling and postage.

So reuse box or use second box. Second box may be easier on player as you could affix postage before sending to the player, but then they're stuck with a box to throw away.

sox83cubs84
11-03-2009, 01:29 PM
I would consider sending a "box (or padded envelope) within the box" pre-addressed to you with the appropriate postage already applied, ready to go...When I send a baseball to a player to get signed I do something similar with padded envelopes (one envelope being slighty smaller than the other, but still big enough to house the ball).

And the padded envelopes are the best way to go to save a couple of bucks. You CAN use Priority Mail envelopes and boxes but, unless they bear Priority Mail postage ($4.95 and up, depending on weight and destination) the Post Office will send them back to the shipper. USPS will not forward Priority Mail shipments with only First Class or Parcel Post postage on them. Padded envelopes should only require $2-$3 each way, unless a jersey is involved...then you may have to go the Priority Mail route.

I have the current Smalling's address list...if you need an address, I might be able to help.

Dave M.
Chicago area
Bring back Jim Thome!