X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TNTtoys
    • Aug 2006

Base Display Ideas

All,

I remember writing about a game used base shadow-box display case I was building many months ago here. After shelving this project for some time, I decided I should finally complete it... so I got the tools out & finished it today.

I took photos for you guys to show you how it turned out, and possibly you might be able to get some ideas from it. The display includes a game used base from the Subway Series game played on May 21st, 2005, where the Mets defeated Randy Johnson & the Yankees 7-1. Mike Piazza, Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran and David Wright went a combined 9 for 15 in the game and drove in 6 runs. The only run they didn't account for was a solo HR by none other than Miguel Cairo.

Also framed with the display is a full unused ticket from the game, a line score, and an actual photo from the game showing a good side profile of the actual base itself.

Enjoy!!

Nick
    Attached Files
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Re: At last, game used base display completed... photos enclosed.

NIcely done. Did you make the scoreline yourself?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• TNTtoys
      • Aug 2006

I found a nicely done line score / box score for this game on espn.com and printed off a small part of the web page onto white cardboard.

Box score for the New York Mets vs. New York Yankees MLB game from May 21, 2005 on ESPN. Includes all pitching and batting stats.
      Looking for ...

Comment

• joelsabi
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by TNTtoys
        I found a nicely done line score / box score for this game on espn.com and printed off a small part of the web page onto white cardboard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=250521121

Thought you did some graphic arts and wanted to know what program you used.

Did you consider using the entire boxscore? I have seen this with other displays for specific game items.

Your display is awesome.
        Regards,
        Joel S.
        joelsabi @ gmail.com
        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• dwolfe12345
          • Sep 2006

Very nice! (Borat voice)

I have been giving some thought on what I can do with a pair of game used shoes framed in with an 8x10 of the player wearing the shoes. You ever tried that or has anyone on the board done it?

Comment

• TNTtoys
            • Aug 2006

Sorry, never tried any display with shoes... in fact, I never had the urge to buy game worn shoes. I have to draw the line somewhere...lol...

My first thought would be to pick up or assemble a 3-D acrylic case large enough to hold the photo against the back wall and the shoes would come forward on the bottom of the base. This may jut out a little far however... it could look good on top of a shelving unit but probably not be much suited for wall mount.
            Looking for ...

Comment

• suave1477
              Banned
              • Jan 2006

Well at least a Yankee hit the Home Run....... lol lol

Comment

• davetiki
                • Nov 2005

Nick,

Great display! What are the dimensions of the display and how did you secure the base inside?

Thanks,

Dave Z

Comment

• cigarman44
                  • Aug 2007

what would you charge to make on of those. I have a base and ticket stub I'd like a case for. You did a great job. If its too much trouble just say so. Just thought I'd ask.

Joe

Comment

• TNTtoys
                    • Aug 2006

davetiki: I used "L" shaped corner braces. I screwed the flat part into the bottom of the case through the back, and then the bent part angles into the side of the base, holding it in place, without puncturing it. I believe the dimensions of the frame are 22x26 but I am at work and not front of it. You can always email any other q's to me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

cigarman44: Sorry, but I cannot build another one of these. This was a "labor of love" -- took way too much time to complete because it was all trial and error. I am far too inefficient at this stuff to make others, and have quite a few jobs to get done around the house first... but I do thank you for your kind words.
                    Looking for ...

Comment

• frikativ54
                      • Dec 2007

Nice display. How'd you go about acquiring a game used base?
                      Les Zukor
                      bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                      Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                      (617) 682-0408

Comment

• Swoboda4
                        • Nov 2005

Base Display Ideas

As I ponder getting a game used base(Mets final season of course) I don't see any display cases right now on E-bay which is strange. Before I go cold on line do any members have their bases displayed and which companies do you guys think work out best? Any photos to go along with the suggestions? thanks.
                        Robert

Comment

• TriplexXxSports
                          • Jan 2009

Re: Base Display Ideas

I would think a 16x20 Shadow Box from your local hobby store would compliment it quite nicely. I'm not into baseball so I have nothing to show but with a 16x20 you would have plenty of room for a nice nameplate or a small picture or something like that. I think they run in the $40 range. Not too bad.

Comment

• joelsabi
                            • Aug 2005

Nick made a really nice one.

Regards,
                            Joel S.
                            joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• jtorrez
                              • Jun 2009

Check this out:

Comment

Working...