PDA

View Full Version : Go To Have It Auctions - Mickey Mantle 1964 "Mayor's Trophy" Game Used Bat

Rboitano
11-06-2009, 10:28 AM
This bat is clearly a retail model Mantle bat. From the foil stamping to the 4 engraved on the knob. But it does come with an LOA from a former mets bat boy! haha

http://www.gottahaveit.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=1575&searchby=3&searchvalue=game%20used%20bat&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=1

ndevlin
11-08-2009, 07:24 PM
It is a store model bat, but I took it as just a bat he was given to use for the charity exhibition game instead of using one of his actual gamers.

Does that make sense?

STLHAMMER32
11-08-2009, 08:52 PM
It is a store model bat, but I took it as just a bat he was given to use for the charity exhibition game instead of using one of his actual gamers.

Does that make sense?

Nate,

This is how I looked at it. It at least says it is a store model bat in the auction...I don't know if he used a store model bat for that game but being an exhibition it is very possible mickey grabbed whatever bat they had...I can hear the Mick now..."Awe h*ll I dont give a #$#$ just give me that one..."

Rboitano
11-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I dont see anywhere in the listing where it says "Store Model". Where do you see that?

Rboitano
11-08-2009, 09:25 PM
This Hillerich & Bradsby Louville Slugger 125 Mickey Mantle model bat was used by Mantle in the 1964 Mayor's Trophy Game, a charity exhibition game played between the New York Yankees and the New York Mets on August 24, 1964. Mantle gave the bat to Paul Lozito, a New York Yankees and Mets batboy, after Mantle slightly cracked the bat at his only one at bat during the game. Paul had been a fan since he was a young boy and Mantle smiled when he asked for the bat and said, "Sure, Kid." The Mayor's Trophy Game was a precursor to the current "Subway Series" and was originally played between the Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers. This Mantle game used bat, with a stamped number 4 on the knob, comes with a letter from Paul Lizito, whose name can be found in the New York Mets 1964 yearbook.

ndevlin
11-08-2009, 09:35 PM
I dont see anywhere in the listing where it says "Store Model". Where do you see that?

Fair enough. They should have listed it as a store model bat.

Since it was a charity exhibition game, I took it as this bat was given to him for the event.

STLHAMMER32
11-09-2009, 05:08 PM

On second look it doesnt say that. I read that it had the "4" stamped on the bottom and I assumed it was listed as a store model because it was so obvious. It should have been listed that way.... I guess I assumed it was if they were stating that it had the "4"......collectors will know it is a store model from this information but the average guy looking may not...this is not right you are correct.