Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rboitano
    • Nov 2005

Go To Have It Auctions - Mickey Mantle 1964 "Mayor's Trophy" Game Used Bat

This bat is clearly a retail model Mantle bat. From the foil stamping to the 4 engraved on the knob. But it does come with an LOA from a former mets bat boy! haha

• ndevlin
    • Mar 2008

Re: Go To Have It Auctions - Mickey Mantle 1964 "Mayor's Trophy" Game Used Bat

It is a store model bat, but I took it as just a bat he was given to use for the charity exhibition game instead of using one of his actual gamers.

Does that make sense?

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ndevlin
      It is a store model bat, but I took it as just a bat he was given to use for the charity exhibition game instead of using one of his actual gamers.

Does that make sense?
      Nate,

This is how I looked at it. It at least says it is a store model bat in the auction...I don't know if he used a store model bat for that game but being an exhibition it is very possible mickey grabbed whatever bat they had...I can hear the Mick now..."Awe h*ll I dont give a #$#$ just give me that one..."

Comment

• Rboitano
        • Nov 2005

I dont see anywhere in the listing where it says "Store Model". Where do you see that?

Comment

• Rboitano
          • Nov 2005

This Hillerich & Bradsby Louville Slugger 125 Mickey Mantle model bat was used by Mantle in the 1964 Mayor's Trophy Game, a charity exhibition game played between the New York Yankees and the New York Mets on August 24, 1964. Mantle gave the bat to Paul Lozito, a New York Yankees and Mets batboy, after Mantle slightly cracked the bat at his only one at bat during the game. Paul had been a fan since he was a young boy and Mantle smiled when he asked for the bat and said, "Sure, Kid." The Mayor's Trophy Game was a precursor to the current "Subway Series" and was originally played between the Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers. This Mantle game used bat, with a stamped number 4 on the knob, comes with a letter from Paul Lizito, whose name can be found in the New York Mets 1964 yearbook.

Comment

• ndevlin
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Rboitano
            I dont see anywhere in the listing where it says "Store Model". Where do you see that?

Fair enough. They should have listed it as a store model bat.

Since it was a charity exhibition game, I took it as this bat was given to him for the event.

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Rboitano
              On second look it doesnt say that. I read that it had the "4" stamped on the bottom and I assumed it was listed as a store model because it was so obvious. It should have been listed that way.... I guess I assumed it was if they were stating that it had the "4"......collectors will know it is a store model from this information but the average guy looking may not...this is not right you are correct.

Comment

Working...