PDA

View Full Version : Star player bat used by star player teammate...

emann
11-11-2009, 12:00 AM
I recently discussed this with a fellow collector and am curious how the board feels about it...

Here is the question: A PLAYER X model bat with PLAYER Y's number on the knob and good PLAYER Y use characteristics, shows strong use, etc. Both players are superstars for their team, both HOF players, prime era for both, etc...

Make sense?

Would you be interested in a bat like this or not and why?

WadeInBmore
11-11-2009, 08:32 AM
You could debate on the stardom of Ellis Burks...but I saw this item and truthfully, as a Thomas collector, had/have no desire to own this. Other than it being quirky or supplying my collection with a different colored bat...I'm not really feeling it.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=37613

I think it was Muse that posted in the recent pickup about an Arod bat that he acquired that shows charateristics of a top Yanks prospect and not Arod.

If its about owning a players bat but its used by another player I think I would prefer an issued bat of the desired player.

Adversely there is always an interesting story line I sure, behind the bat swapping and sharing and could be fun researching the bat to photomatch it or find out about its story.

wade

shoremen44
11-11-2009, 09:27 AM
I own a Pujols bat that I was able to photomatch to a Tino Martinez home run...

While I am a big Pujols fan and have several of his other bats... this one is one of my favorites...

I think it makes for a very interesting story

suave1477
11-11-2009, 09:40 AM
I own a Pujols bat that I was able to photomatch to a Tino Martinez home run...

While I am a big Pujols fan and have several of his other bats... this one is one of my favorites...

I think it makes for a very interesting story

That is one of my favorite bats too and it's not even in my own collection lol lol

To me for example the T Martinez used Pujols Model bat is super cool. I am a big Tino fan and I like Pujols - so for me it's like getting 2 in one.

BULBUS
11-11-2009, 09:58 AM
I have a Tino Martinez bat with Wade Boggs use characteristics, his number 12 on the knob (in Wades handwriting), signed by Tino.

allstarsplus
11-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Players using other players bats is commonplace these days especially in BP. What I like is when they get cracked and the MLB Authenticator states it exactly as it was---XYZ Model bat used by ABC player.

This was the case this year when Ryan Zimmerman started using Adam Dunn's Louisville M9's towards the end of the season. Adam kept his stash of 3 bats on the bench with him and Ryan put "his" Dunn bats in the bat rack.

Both guys used the same Mota Stick and most times the #44 was on the bottom of the knob so the only real way to tell them apart was the MLB #'d holograms or if they came directly from the player.

So, if you could tell who used the bat, I think these bats are very special!

MJB14
11-11-2009, 10:29 AM
This past weekend I attended the Greater Boston Sports Card & Collectibles show and I asked a guy if he had any Jim Rice bats. He said yes and showed me a Jim Rice 77-79 H&B R206. I looked quick and realized it didn't have Rice's normal characteristics. Upon further evaluation I noticed a bold #8 on the knob and seam impressions and ink transfers that of a LH hitter. Having read somewhere before that Yaz in the late 70s and early 80s frequently used Rice R206 bats I informed the seller. After I pointed these things out he enthusiastically said "Thank You!" knowing he'll get a better price for a Yaz than a Rice. I replied "no Thank You" to him as it was the end of the day, I had already shelled out a ton of $ on stuff, and that purchased would've cleaned me out. :D

Astros7
11-11-2009, 12:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Craig-Biggio-Roger-Clemens-Game-Used-Signed-Bat-Astros_W0QQitemZ200395511713QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ SM_Fan_Shop?hash=item2ea880d7a1

On ebay right now. Used by Biggio and Roger Clemens. Interesting piece...signed and inscribed "game used" by both Biggio and Clemens

staindsox
11-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I have a Torii Hunter model bat that was used by Joe Mauer. It is special because it is a pre-rookie bat. He actually used it in spring training and with two different minor league teams (he wrote his 3 numbers on the knob). It shows a ton of use and perfectly shows his use characteristics. It is actually one of my favorite Mauer bats. Funny too because it was sold as a Torii Hunter bat. With three numbers written on the knob and none of them being #48, most people stayed away.

Chris

matt
11-11-2009, 04:17 PM
My observation is that a bat like this will sell for less than a "purebred" bat of either player. I have a 2008 Pedroia bat (MVP year) used by Jacoby ellsbury (his number on knob). The MLB holo says it was used by ells. Now a MLB holoed Ells bat is worth at least $400, and a Pedroia MVP year bat is certainly worth much more. I bought this bat for under $200 because most people just stay away from bats like this. Any time a knob number does not match a nameplate, I think prices suffer.

I do agree with many of the posts that each of us might assign unique value to some of these, but most of the market sees them as mutts and does not pay up. So they are a great thing to collect if they have personal value to you, but I think they may be poor investments in general.

Matt

sox83cubs84
11-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I recall seeing two intriguing examples of this several years ago...a mid-1980s Rawlings/Adirondack of Dave Lopes with Ryne Sandberg's # on the knob, as well as a 1977-79 H&B Bud Harrelson with Pete Rose's 14 on the knob.

Dave M.
Chicago area

apfriz
11-11-2009, 08:09 PM
With their history, I would be interested to hear how that came about!

legaleagle92481
11-11-2009, 10:12 PM
I agree with Matt they are poor investments. Gamers for most players are not that scarce. I have been collecting them about 1.5 years and in that time I have found legitimate examples of every player I would be interested in and bought many of them. So personally I would prefer to hold out until I found one with player Y's name on the label. Aesthics are very important to alot of collector's and having a player other than the one that used the bat's name on the label just does not look right. It is kind of like a really attractive woman having a beard for lack of a better analogy. That being said if the bat had some special significance it would not deter me from buying it such as if it was used to hit a milestone home run or for the hit that won an important game, in that case I feel the uniqueness of the bat would trump the fact that it has Player X's name on the label.