PDA

View Full Version : Steroid use changing collections?

brianborsch
11-11-2009, 02:23 PM
I am curious how many collectors out there have changed their collecting strategy or habits due to the recent steroid scare that has been in the MLB/MILB for who knows how long?

I just saw a post for someone collecting Manny bats, and that's cool. I am just wondering what people's thoughts are around this.

bigtruck260
11-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Most of my bats are from players in the 1990's - and it would not change my scope of collecting one bit.

mariner_gamers
11-11-2009, 04:38 PM
It did for me up until the past few months. Initially I thought players cheating would hurt their collectability but I can tell now it is not going to be a long term issue.

As it has been noted before it is now an era...implying everyone is suspect.

Most folks are misinformed about the nature of PED's and simply repeat what they've read posted on other forums. They base statements soley on other people's opinions about what the drugs do and don't do. Everyone seems to know someone that uses and assures us it doesn't make much of a difference.

More and more people in our society are getting on some kind of steriod or HGH therapy. I don't see why this won't continue to grow. If everyone is doing it throughout society then who cares??

Lastly I think the proliferation of game used items distributed by a large amount of current stars is what will ultimately kill their future value not their link to steriods.

corsairs22
11-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Let's not kid ourselves: it's not going to blow over, at least not until baseball fans stop caring about records. As long as people still regard Ruth, Maris, and Aaron as the players who set the standard for baseball greatness, those who used PED use will be regarded as cheaters and will be diminished.

33bird
11-11-2009, 05:09 PM
I agree. It won't blow over. It was illegal in the US. They cheated. Baseball records are sacred. In Track if you get caught using roids, what happens? The record is no more and you are banned. Ask Ben Johnson and Marion Jones. Should be the same in baseball. Barry, Sosa, Clemens, Palmero, Arod, Big Mac. All tainted. Arod acted like he used them only in Texas. That's bunk and everybody knows it. Maybe Bonds and Clemens will eventually get in, but it will take a long time and a lot of forgiveness on the part of the voters. We'll see.

nomo121
11-11-2009, 05:31 PM
I think it has changed. I mean, Brian McNamee kept a Game Used Syringe. I think the hobby has gotten a bit crazy.

STLHAMMER32
11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
I believe that the steroid controversy long term will not affect the prices of game used items. There are some people dislike and some will not buy but there will always be a market for a Bonds game used bat even when he is disliked by most.... the non-fan friendlies.. they will be affected more than those that are favorites. Sometimes controversy can actually make items more valuable. I hate to say it but guys like Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson have gotten more publicity because of controversy. There will always be a debate and while their is discussion.. the names will be brought up. In the near future we wont forget and thats why these players will be brought up and when names are brought up younger generations see highlights and interest is peaked.