PDA

View Full Version : Falcons Helmet

Jacuzzi
11-14-2009, 12:59 AM
I can't believe the Gerald Riggs Falcons helmet I sold on Ebay & only went for $130 or something like that, just sold for $1,141 on the GUU Auction. :confused:

http://www.guuauctions.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=1860&getauctionid=12

cohibasmoker
11-14-2009, 09:06 AM
I can't believe the Gerald Riggs Falcons helmet I sold on Ebay & only went for $130 or something like that, just sold for $1,141 on the GUU Auction. :confused:

http://www.guuauctions.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=1860&getauctionid=12

Jacuzzi - PLEASE don't take this personal but I think the helmet sold for what it sold for because of one (1) reason - Robert. Members respect his opinion and when he put his stamp of approval on the helmet - that's all it took.

Jim

yosef777
11-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Jacuzzi,
Sorry to hear your Falcons sold for a low price on ebay. Unfortunately, ebay is difficult to predict. I do think cohibasmaoker is correct in his assessment. Having it be confirmed by a helmet guru like Robert (aeneas01) does go a long way. Plus the fact that the GUU auction was professionally and beautifully presented can't hurt.

earlywynnfan
11-14-2009, 10:52 AM
So, DID Robert personally OK all the helmets in the GUU auction? Because I won the Jackie Slater, and to be honest, I'm really wondering why it went so cheap; I'm afraid it isn't good and everyone knew it but me.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Jacuzzi
11-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Jacuzzi - PLEASE don't take this personal but I think the helmet sold for what it sold for because of one (1) reason - Robert. Members respect his opinion and when he put his stamp of approval on the helmet - that's all it took.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Not at all. I was just surprised at the interest. That makes alot of sense. I hadn't realized that Robert had placed his stamp on it. :)

Thanks,
Darrin

cohibasmoker
11-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi Jim,

Not at all. I was just surprised at the interest. That makes alot of sense. I hadn't realized that Robert had placed his stamp on it. :)

Thanks,
Darrin

I know Robert assisted with the auction so I can't imagine him disregarding a helmet that may be questionable.

Jim

aeneas01
11-14-2009, 10:03 PM
darrin and a few other collectors were lucky enough to get their hands on some very, very nice helmets earlier this year that came from a gentleman that first listed a number of them on ebay. as is often the case with ebay, some of the buyers also contacted him directly and were able to purchase quite a few more beauties. not only did this gentleman have a bounty of early to mid '80s gems, he also had a bounty of some very, very nice suspension era gamers that are more my cup of tea.

Sorry to hear your Falcons sold for a low price on ebay. Unfortunately, ebay is difficult to predict. I do think cohibasmaoker is correct in his assessment. Having it be confirmed by a helmet guru like Robert (aeneas01) does go a long way. Plus the fact that the GUU auction was professionally and beautifully presented can't hurt.

thanks for the kind words jeff and i'm very happy that you were pleased with how the auction was presented, a lot of work went into it! and i'm also extremely happy that you chose to contribute a couple of your beautiful pieces to the auction - i will touch base with you early next week.

So, DID Robert personally OK all the helmets in the GUU auction? Because I won the Jackie Slater, and to be honest, I'm really wondering why it went so cheap; I'm afraid it isn't good and everyone knew it but me.

yes ken, i looked at the helmets and i think you got a great deal on the slater helmet. imo a couple of things may have contributed to the price you picked it up for, not the least of which is over exposure. this slater helmet, along with a couple of other slater helmets, have appeared very often at auction in the past. fwiw i actually posted about this very helmet at the forum last year when it was featured in mastro's december '08 auction. as i mentioned then, imo this is best slater helmet that's been offered to date. congratulations on your solid buy.

ha! thanks for the kind words my friend... perhaps i should include some sort of letter with the helmets i look at? if you guys that won helmets would like to receive something like that, just let me know.

Vikingshelmetguy
11-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Hi Darrin Jacuzzi,

I recall you had acquired a nice lot of helmets some months back. I also can't believe that same helmet you sold for $130 sold for over $1,000.

Hey, would you happen to have any Vikings helmets you might be willing to sell??? Let me know if you might. Thanks, Vikingshelmetguy

Jacuzzi
11-15-2009, 01:23 AM
Hi Darrin Jacuzzi,

I recall you had acquired a nice lot of helmets some months back. I also can't believe that same helmet you sold for $130 sold for over $1,000.

Hey, would you happen to have any Vikings helmets you might be willing to sell??? Let me know if you might. Thanks, Vikingshelmetguy

I was able to pick up one Vikings helmet in the batch but unfortunately or maybe fortunately this year? I am a Vikings fan & as you, am always on the lookout for Vikings helmets. I'll keep you in mind though. Do you have quite a few? Are you in Minnesota? I have a guy that lives in the same small town as I do that has an incredible Vikings collection. He had invited me over to see it, but my computer crashed & I lost his information! Maybe you are him?

cohibasmoker
11-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Guys - Robert's and Jacuzzi'z threads rings a bell in my head and it seems like we all we involved with the same seller. The guy on eBay had some incredible helmets and I always wondered
-1) where he got the helmets from and,
-2) where the others went.

I was fortunate enough to get a Houston Oilers, San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders suspension helmets. I was really lucky because, as the guy started to put the helmets on eBay (where all of mine came from), we went on vacation for 14 days. I would assume that while we were away, the seller continued selling the helmets. When we got home, I checked eBay that evening and the Raiders helmet was there and I grabbed it immediately.

I think I was the only guy who got a questionable helmet and that was a Seahawks helmet but in the end, that worked out because it went to a good home.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Jacuzzi
11-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Guys - Robert's and Jacuzzi'z threads rings a bell in my head and it seems like we all we involved with the same seller. The guy on eBay had some incredible helmets and I always wondered
-1) where he got the helmets from and,
-2) where the others went.

I was fortunate enough to get a Houston Oilers, San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders suspension helmets. I was really lucky because, as the guy started to put the helmets on eBay (where all of mine came from), we went on vacation for 14 days. I would assume that while we were away, the seller continued selling the helmets. When we got home, I checked eBay that evening and the Raiders helmet was there and I grabbed it immediately.

I think I was the only guy who got a questionable helmet and that was a Seahawks helmet but in the end, that worked out because it went to a good home.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Hi Jim,

Here is what I know...

I talked with him extensively and he stated he was selling them for a friend that needed to sell them but did not know how. Since he had an eBay store, he offered to sell them for him. (He usually sells tin toy cars/trucks). That's all he would say. After talking with him, and getting a feel for his character (he's a Marine maybe in his 70's) I felt comfortable buying the amount of helmets I did.

I was able to pick up 14 of the helmets and was lucky enough to have first pick of all the helmets he had before he listed them on eBay. Since i usually collect 80's Bike helmets, & because I only had a limited amount of money :), I passed on the suspension helmets & any duplicates that I already had. (Although even though I purchased 2 Falcons helmets from him I had to buy the Riggs helmet as well.) However, I was able to pick up a really cool Ricky Bell Tampa Bay helmet & an Earl Campbell Saints helmet. The two that got away were an early 80's Buffalo Bills helmet & the PPI Oilers helmet (with the it's mask that was unattached) that I beleive you picked up.

Happy collecting!
Darrin

Vikingshelmetguy
11-15-2009, 07:04 PM
I was able to pick up one Vikings helmet in the batch but unfortunately or maybe fortunately this year? I am a Vikings fan & as you, am always on the lookout for Vikings helmets. I'll keep you in mind though. Do you have quite a few? Are you in Minnesota? I have a guy that lives in the same small town as I do that has an incredible Vikings collection. He had invited me over to see it, but my computer crashed & I lost his information! Maybe you are him?

Thanks for your reply Darrin Jacuzzi! And I totally understand that you want to hang on to your Vikings helmet... I do live in Minnesota. My collection is relatively modest in size. I am not the guy with the incredible Vikings collection, but I think I know who you are talking about, and I know him a little bit.

yosef777
11-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Jacuzzi & Cohibasmoker,
How about posting some photos of the Tampa / Bell helmet, Campbell / Saints, Oilers and Raiders suspensions.

cohibasmoker
11-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Jacuzzi & Cohibasmoker,
How about posting some photos of the Tampa / Bell helmet, Campbell / Saints, Oilers and Raiders suspensions.

Sure - The Oilers helmet was made by Protective Products (Only Robert Knew that and as always, he was more than helpful in identifying the helmet) and the Raiders helmet was made by Wilson.

cohibasmoker
11-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Jacuzzi & Cohibasmoker,

Oops - I forgot the scans. I've managed to locate a replacement facemask for the Oilers helmet and it looks a 100% better.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Jacuzzi
11-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Jacuzzi & Cohibasmoker,

Sure. I have not been able to find a Campbell picture with this mask, I think it may have been changed at some point.

Jacuzzi
11-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Oops - I forgot the scans. I've managed to locate a replacement facemask for the Oilers helmet and it looks a 100% better.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Here is the mask that was thought to be from your Oilers helmet. You can also see the funky decal Seahawks helmet as well as the Browns & Cardinals helmets that Real Stuff Sports picked up.

aeneas01
11-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Hi Jim,

Here is what I know...

I talked with him extensively and he stated he was selling them for a friend that needed to sell them but did not know how. Since he had an eBay store, he offered to sell them for him. (He usually sells tin toy cars/trucks). That's all he would say. After talking with him, and getting a feel for his character (he's a Marine maybe in his 70's) I felt comfortable buying the amount of helmets I did.

I was able to pick up 14 of the helmets and was lucky enough to have first pick of all the helmets he had before he listed them on eBay. Since i usually collect 80's Bike helmets, & because I only had a limited amount of money :), I passed on the suspension helmets & any duplicates that I already had. (Although even though I purchased 2 Falcons helmets from him I had to buy the Riggs helmet as well.) However, I was able to pick up a really cool Ricky Bell Tampa Bay helmet & an Earl Campbell Saints helmet. The two that got away were an early 80's Buffalo Bills helmet & the PPI Oilers helmet (with the it's mask that was unattached) that I beleive you picked up.

Happy collecting!
Darrin

if you would like me to take a look at any of your helmets, just let me know - you can send scans to livie@horizoncable.com...

princip
11-16-2009, 02:40 PM
In a round about way, I ended up with these two Seahawk helmets from that lot:

1976 Steve Myer Rookie Helmet:
http://www.greenglare.com/images/myer3.jpg

Curt Warner 1989 M155:
http://www.greenglare.com/images/warner7.jpg

The jury's still out on/if Curt Warner actually wore this lid, since, it had some decals that didn't look quite right. However, I replaced the decals to the proper set they wore in 1989. Plus, all of the other components match up to what Curt wore that year. I still have the decals, just in case I find out they were some sort of weird prototype set, or, mis-print.

halzeus
11-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Jacuzzi, could you post pics of the Michigan Wolverines helmet or send them to me at authentic_wolverine@yahoo.com?

I am a Wolverines collector and love to see Michigan helmets.

Dan

yosef777
11-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the photos to all! Always nic eto see more helmets on the forum: ) Love the Tampa Bay / Ricky Bell helmet. Is the Oilers a Protective Products and the Raiders a Wilson F2004 or F2012? I included a photo of my recent repo, John Brockington/Packers

cohibasmoker
11-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the photos to all! Always nic eto see more helmets on the forum: ) Love the Tampa Bay / Ricky Bell helmet. Is the Oilers a Protective Products and the Raiders a Wilson F2004 or F2012? I included a photo of my recent repo, John Brockington/Packers

The Oilers helmet IS a Protective Products helmet and the Raiders helmet is a Wilson F2012.

Jim

Jacuzzi
11-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Jacuzzi, could you post pics of the Michigan Wolverines helmet or send them to me at authentic_wolverine@yahoo.com?

I am a Wolverines collector and love to see Michigan helmets.

Dan

Email sent.