PDA

View Full Version : Scam Alert- Ebay Second Chance Offer

Eric
06-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Hey everyone-

I just got something in my email which was a second chance offer on the beautiful Lance Alworth jersey I was outbid on. Check out the description
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Message from eBay Member nike.park

I saw that you are interested to buy an 1960s LANCE ALWORTH SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GAME WORN JERSEY
. I have
the same item for sale brand new and with full warranty available for
US $(PRICE REMOVED). I want you to know that i will pay the insurance fee. If you
want to buy this item please reply at this e-mail:nike.park@hotmail.com
Thank You and have a nice day.

sportscentury
06-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Eric,

It is amazing that you have only just received one of these. I get 2-3 a week - I'm not kidding. The eBay and Paypal look-alike email scams have been cluttering my inbox for years.

Thanks for bringing this to the forum's attention, though, as I'm sure there are others who have not been treated to such pleasures as of yet.

Reid

sportscentury
06-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Eric,

Your buddy "nike.park" sent me the following email today (see below). This is especially pathetic being that I know the seller of the item in question (Chris Boyd) and nike.park only is asking for me to send him a note to his hotmail address - which won't get him my password. I am definitely turning this guy in to eBay, Hotmail, and Internet Crime Report.

Reid (see email from nike.park directly below; nike.park has an eBay score of 0 with no current or past auctions or bids on auctions).

>From: nike.park@hotmail.com
>Subject: Second Chance for Item number# 8821972534
>Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:13:10 UT
>
>
>Message from eBay Member nike.park
>
>
>Hi ,You expressed interest in my item.
>I am the seller of the item titled :Hank Aaron 1974 Game Used Braves Adirondack Bat 755 HR
>Item number: 8821972534. However the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder. In compliance with eBay policy, i want to make you a Second Chance Offer at your last bid price of US $2,650.00. I issued this Second Chance Offer because the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction. If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with me and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection, because the transaction will be made only under ebay`s roules and policy.
>Please answer and tell me your decision at my email address: nike.park@hotmail.com
>Looking forward to hear from you. Regards..
>
>
>================================================== =
>
>This request is related to item # 8821972534.
>
>http://www.ebay.ph/viItem?ItemId=8821972534
>
>
>
>Marketplace Safety Tips
>
>Never respond to an unsolicited email that includes incentives to buy or sell an item off the eBay Marketplace. If you get such an email, please report it to eBay at http://www.ebay.ph/helpTSForm.
>
>Never pay for your eBay item through instant cash transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram - such services offer Internet shoppers no protection against fraud.
>
>
>
>
>Note: Immediately contact Rules & Safety http://www.ebay.ph/help?page=helpPolicies if one of eBay's rules were violated, such as:
>
>- Your contact information was used for purposes unrelated to eBay business, published online or offline, or was used for the purposes of harassment.
>
>- You received contact information that you believe to be erroneous.
>
>Thank you for using eBay!
>
>http://www.ebay.ph/

Hey everyone-

I just got something in my email which was a second chance offer on the beautiful Lance Alworth jersey I was outbid on. Check out the description

Message from eBay Member nike.park

I saw that you are interested to buy an 1960s LANCE ALWORTH SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GAME WORN JERSEY
. I have
the same item for sale brand new and with full warranty available for
US $(PRICE REMOVED). I want you to know that i will pay the insurance fee. If you
want to buy this item please reply at this e-mail:nike.park@hotmail.com
Thank You and have a nice day.

earlywynnfan
06-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Hey, I feel left out!! After getting dozens of these offers last year, I don't seem to be getting any now. Have I offended? Have I fallen off the A-List? Do I need a shower?

For a while, I was almost looking forward to some of these. The amount of time put into making these scam emails really impressed me.

Ken

angrymuppet
06-14-2006, 07:01 AM
This is interesting to me. Not to sound stupid, but how can someone compromise your eBay or PayPal account by knowing your email address? If they try to reset the password it still comes back to your email address and without knowing that password they are SOL. The paranoid side of me needs to know as I have recieved a few second chance offers in the past few months.

I do get the standard "your eBay account has been fraudulently used from an India IP address and will be suspended if you don't click here and give us all your secret data...yada yada yada", but I always delete those.

Mike

earlywynnfan
06-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Many ebay handles are hijacked by fishing schemes; I know mine did way long ago. You'll get an email saying something needs updated or whatever, and to click on a link that looks EXACTLY like a real ebay page. When you log in, someone has your password.

These "second chance offers" usually don't seem to involve stealing anyone's password. What happens is they watch a big-ticket auction, and just create a very realistic (sometimes, or sometimes crappy) looking offer. These people don't want your account, they want you to western union them some $$.

Ken

JD&TANMAN
06-16-2006, 09:14 AM
I think this is all being misunderstood and EVEN MORE OF A SCAM by the seller. I think they are bidding up items under another name, and then when you dont surpass this bid, they end up trying to get you to accept the second chance offer...this is not an attempt at your password.
I have been the receipiant of a few of these, and all of the sellers are questionable in their practices.

both-teams-played-hard
06-16-2006, 11:36 AM
I think this is all being misunderstood and EVEN MORE OF A SCAM by the seller.

You are wrong. No need to argue. This is a scam issue...NOT a shill bid issue.

trsent
06-16-2006, 12:13 PM
The email that Eric and I (and others received) was not from the seller of the jersey we bid on, it was from a scam artist in The Philippines who was trying to conjure up money. The guy offered me the item for $900.00, and when I asked how he could sell a $13,5000.00 item for $900.00 he emailed me back and said he meant $9000.00.

When I questioned him more and asked for photos and asked how he could have the same one-of-a-kind item as in the auction, and why his was new with warranty, which made no sense for a game used one-of-a-kind game used football jersey...You get the idea.

Now, does anyone understand why I make my auctions private?

I just wonder how this guy got all our email addresses. I know mine he could find in my auctions, but all those bidders email addresses being accessed? Something is strange with that.

Eric
06-16-2006, 12:14 PM
I think this is all being misunderstood and EVEN MORE OF A SCAM by the seller. I think they are bidding up items under another name, and then when you dont surpass this bid, they end up trying to get you to accept the second chance offer...this is not an attempt at your password.
I have been the receipiant of a few of these, and all of the sellers are questionable in their practices.

I completely disagree. Many times when you see these, the second chance sellers are from another country and are looking for western union money wired to them. It appears they are people trying to piggyback on the selling of high priced items.
Eric

sportscentury
06-16-2006, 01:07 PM
I completely disagree. Many times when you see these, the second chance sellers are from another country and are looking for western union money wired to them. It appears they are people trying to piggyback on the selling of high priced items.
Eric

Actually, both of you have pointed out real scams that occur every day (although Eric is correct that there is no misunderstanding as to the type of scam that first inspired this thread). I know of the scams that JD&T is talking about, too, though - where the seller has outbid the real high bidder on his own auctions, only to offer the real high bidder (who ends up being the second-highest bidder) the "second chance" at buying the item at the shilled-up price.

In addition, the foreigner looking for Western Union payments is all too common, as well (although nike.park is one of the more pathetic scammers in the history of eBay scams - I imagine his IQ is a meager double-digit figure - no kidding).

Folks need to watch for both of these scams (not to mention the five hundred other scams that plague eBay and Paypal users).

Reid

JD&TANMAN
06-16-2006, 01:22 PM
SORRY, I guess I misunderstood, however I still have rec'd too many conveniant second chance offers from sellers. I was not arguing only misunderstood the context, thanks.

sportscentury
06-16-2006, 01:27 PM
SORRY, I guess I misunderstood, however I still have rec'd too many conveniant second chance offers from sellers. I was not arguing only misunderstood the context, thanks.

JD&T,

I know exactly what you're talking about - sellers have tried to get me on this a number of times.

Reid

trsent
06-16-2006, 02:10 PM
I had a customer send me $2800.00 via Western Union a few weeks ago. First time a customer has offered to pay via that method!