PDA

View Full Version : What a rip-off!! Ken Griffey Jr Game-Used 2006 Mother's Day Bat

gameused
06-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Someone spent $3000 dollars for a unsused Mothers day bat of Ken Griffey Jr., clearly no game use on the bat. MLB needs to be more accurate when listing game used items.

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=69027364&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=69374074

Here's the actual bat used by Griffey on Mothers day, notice the black taped handle.

trsent
06-12-2006, 02:53 PM
From mlb.com:

Bid today on Ken Griffey Jr's game-used bat, used on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006!

Griffey's mother's name, Alberta Griffey, is inscribed on the bat.

Proceeds benefit the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

*Game-used encompases batting practice and/or the game itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

They are covered because the bat could have been used in batting practice without tape or maybe the tape was removed.

Someone now needs to tell Major League Baseball that the word is spelled: "encompasses"

sportscentury
06-12-2006, 04:18 PM
In another thread, a forum member posted that players received several of these bats. This was clealry an extra - and I agree that it doesn't look like it was used for anything. Note the interesting tape job on the one that Griffey is shown to be about to use (I've never seen a real Griffey gamer with solid -- not criss-cross -- black tape). I wouldn't have believed it if not for the photo as the white criss-cross tape has been a Griffey bat characteristic for so long. At least the money (hopefully) goes to a good cause. That does seem incredibly high, though, even with the tax write-off.

Reid

BoneRubbedBat
06-12-2006, 08:52 PM
maybe this one?

can we call it game-held?

trsent
06-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Great find with that photo!

gameused
06-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Reid,

Here's another photo of Griffey Jr. from the 2004 season vs the Cubs without his traditional criss crossed taped handle.

Bobby