PDA

View Full Version : Santa Brought Me My Grail Item-jason Giambi Bat

jobathenut
11-17-2009, 07:20 PM
I am so excited i just recieved my first and only jason giambi and yankees game used item.A game used jason giambi yankees bat.I just thought i would share with all of you.And say there really is a santa.:)

murfsteve25
11-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Very nice! I hope Santa is as good to me as he was to you.

STLHAMMER32
11-18-2009, 01:27 AM
Congrats on the grail! hope you left cookies and milk for him

jobathenut
11-18-2009, 03:09 AM
Thanks!!!.I know it sounds stubid (as you guys all have great collections of game used items) but i just sit and stare at the bat.It is just amazing to have something that a player who you are a huge fan of used.I tell you that santa is something wonderful.:)
Very nice! I hope Santa is as good to me as he was to you.

jobathenut
11-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Thanks!!!-I tell you what,i left santa his own bakery full of cookies and his own personal cow for this.:)
Congrats on the grail! hope you left cookies and milk for him

suave1477
11-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Joba does it have a #25 written on the knob?

Most if not all Yankee LS Giambi bats he writes his number on the knob.

As I said most not all, so of course it is possible he may not have written it, but I was just curious to know if there was possibly one there, maybe faded as I couldn't really tell by the flash of your picture.

R.Mansfield
11-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Congratulations, I am happy for you. Always remember the feeling you are having right now, it is great. The bat itself looks beautiful.

I think some collectors may never have the feeling you are having right now. Some can never be content with an item, they get side tracked with this and that.

Be proud of this, show it off, and display it.

Russell

2000mvpfan
11-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Jesus,he hasn't gotten to enjoy the bat for 24 hours before someone brings up something to crap on his parade.There's not always a smoking gun,why do we act like there is?This is why many of the "Old Guard" of this site have and are continuing to leave.
Suave,he got that bat from me.Now,while I'm no Howard Wolf or Dave Midiema on this site,I like to think I know something about Giambi and his gear.I would never own,or pass along into the hobby something I was not comfortable with.While that bat has no number,it shows PERFECT Giambi traits-Mota on the handle,ball marks and seam indents on the correct hitting surface,and cleat marks on the top back barrel.While Giambi does typically number his bats,there are sufficient photos of Giambi on Getty using bats with no number on the knob,all one has to do is look for them.In fact,I have seen 4 distinct types of Giambi Yankee bat knobs (with and without Steiner paperwork) for sale and at auction:25 on knob in his handwriting,25 plus bat weight in his handwriting,no number on knob,and 25 in different hand (maybe clubhouse personnel).I guess the point is,I have spoken with Joba and he's a great guy who is genuinely happy with an great item of his favorite player.
Why can't it ever just be that simple?
Joe

suave1477
11-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Jesus,he hasn't gotten to enjoy the bat for 24 hours before someone brings up something to crap on his parade.There's not always a smoking gun,why do we act like there is?This is why many of the "Old Guard" of this site have and are continuing to leave.
Suave,he got that bat from me.Now,while I'm no Howard Wolf or Dave Midiema on this site,I like to think I know something about Giambi and his gear.I would never own,or pass along into the hobby something I was not comfortable with.While that bat has no number,it shows PERFECT Giambi traits-Mota on the handle,ball marks and seam indents on the correct hitting surface,and cleat marks on the top back barrel.While Giambi does typically number his bats,there are sufficient photos of Giambi on Getty using bats with no number on the knob,all one has to do is look for them.In fact,I have seen 4 distinct types of Giambi Yankee bat knobs (with and without Steiner paperwork) for sale and at auction:25 on knob in his handwriting,25 plus bat weight in his handwriting,no number on knob,and 25 in different hand (maybe clubhouse personnel).I guess the point is,I have spoken with Joba and he's a great guy who is genuinely happy with an great item of his favorite player.
Joe

2000mvpfan first of all im not raining on anyones parade I was merely asking if it had the number as I really couldnt tell by the angle of the picture in the knob. It didn't have as much emphasis on the part of it being authentic.

But I do like your last comment because you know better and been around long enough to know in this hobby nothing I don't care where it came from if it was you or some other expert in this hobby should ever be just taken for face value.
Nothing against you or anyone else but there is always more we can learn.
So I am bit shocked at that comment

"Why can't it ever just be that simple?"

STLHAMMER32
11-18-2009, 04:18 PM

As I said most not all, so of course it is possible he may not have written it, but I was just curious to know if there was possibly one there, maybe faded as I couldn't really tell by the flash of your picture.

Suave1477, this is obviously just my humble opinion but why not just ask if it has a '25' on the knob? Why throw in the comment most if not at all have it...which is implying if it doesn't have it it almost certainly isn't authentic. That would be a "rain on the parade" comment in my opinion. Maybe you did not mean it that way but I think thats how we all read it.

While Giambi does usually write his number on the knob. I have personally seen him use several bats that have no knob. His bat has all the Giambi traits that would merit a grade of authentic. It's a great bat and he obviously likes it so ask your question if you must about the 25 leave it at that unless you are are well-versed in Giambi gamers but with you saying most IF NOT ALL THE TIME...means this would be the only exception you have seen making it the one exception....tells me you havent seen enough Giambi bats or photos of his at bats.

2000mvpfan
11-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Nothing to be shocked about Suave.All I'm saying is,he got a bat from a well-informed member of this forum who does his homework before adding anything to his collection.Can't he get to enjoy it even for a little bit before someone casts the shadow of doubt on it?
I'm sure it gives people comfort to know-whether its Joba getting a bat from me,someone getting a piece of Phillies gear from Howard,or even someone who might get a Strawberry bat from you-that they have a better chance of getting something legit because the previous owner did the legwork on it?
That said,everyone should know not to take everything at face value,but you CAN maximize your chances of success by doing your homework.
I'm just happy he loves the bat.

Joe

camarokids
11-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Was Santa out cruising around early this year???? I didn't hear his sleigh??

Nice pick up. If it makes you happy that is all that matters.

No disrespect intended, but I do think the grail term is thrown around too loosely.

A grail to one collector is not to another....many factors are involved.......

Just my observation on the grail term.....

camarokids
11-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Just wanted to add the reasoning behind my grail comments.

When I think of the grail, I think of THE Grail.

So, in terms of collecting, I think a grail item, should be something very rare and special that is not easily obtained.

However as I said earlier a grail to one collector will not be so to another.

The important part Joba is that you like and enjoy the item (obviously you do, since you are staring at it). I will do the same thing too, I will just pause and check out my collection.

notxpensv4u
11-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Great Looking bat!!!!! Very nice indeed!!!!

murfsteve25
11-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Joe

You clearly took this out of context. Suave was just simply asking if the 25 was written on the knob, and was explaining how its normal for giambi to have his number on the bat. Calm down buddy!:D

jobathenut
11-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Hey there suave-No there is not a #25 written on the knob of the bat.I was thinking the same thing as i thought every player would number there bat-oh well.....

jobathenut
11-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks russell-Oh believe me i have been on cloud 9 since i got this yesterday.I just love it.I mean like i said it sounds strange but i spent yesterday just looking at it.Thanks for the nice words and the comments about MY bat.I have so much pride i call it my bat now-isnt that funny.I am very content with this bat.To me nothing would ever top this.Now i just need to find a proper way to display it for all to see my bat.Thanks again for the nice words-:)
Congratulations, I am happy for you. Always remember the feeling you are having right now, it is great. The bat itself looks beautiful.

I think some collectors may never have the feeling you are having right now. Some can never be content with an item, they get side tracked with this and that.

Be proud of this, show it off, and display it.

Russell

jobathenut
11-18-2009, 10:16 PM
JOE-I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THAT BAT AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS!!!!.I have told you that.I don't know why you responded to this.As i did not question it.And i would never question it.I mean so what if he didnt put his number on the end of this bat.I mean i am enjoying that bat believe me and noone is going to rain on my parade.So please don't let things like this get to you my friend.I am happy believe me beyond belief with my bat.SEE-:) :) :) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D
Joe

jobathenut
11-18-2009, 10:26 PM
CAMAROKIDS-Yeah christmas came early for me i guess.And i just have to say,that i am not a collector or dealer by any means.I have just heard that "grail" comment on here.And have been told it means "your most sought after item".And thats why i termed in that.Sorry if i used it wrong.Man i was just proud and happy to get this bat but you people are turning it ugly.Maybe i should not have shared it with my "freinds" on this forum.As it has suave and 2000mvpfan going at each other and now me getting criticized for using a word wrong.Whats that i am felling,it looks like rain.:confused:
Was Santa out cruising around early this year???? I didn't hear his sleigh??

Nice pick up. If it makes you happy that is all that matters.

No disrespect intended, but I do think the grail term is thrown around too loosely.

A grail to one collector is not to another....many factors are involved.......

Just my observation on the grail term.....

suave1477
11-18-2009, 11:00 PM
JUST TO CLEAR THE AIR WITH EVERYONE SO THEY CAN UNDERSTAND WHERE I WAS COMING FROM!!!

Again I wasn't questioning the authenticity or raining on anyones parade.

I recently had in my possession which I recently sold a Jason Giambi Game Used Black Louisville Slugger Bat - It had the number 25 written on the knob but was so faded from use it was barley noticeable. So depending on the angle you took the picture with the flash actually drowned out the #25 from being seen. So I had to retake the picture a few times from a different angle to catch the 25 in the picture.

So my although I may not have come across clear was more towards if the flash had blocked out the #25 since I did not see it on the knob. That is all!!

No harm intended and I hope you do enjoy the Giambi bat.

2000mvp yes I do consider you more of an expert in the Giambi bat area and would feel comfortable if I was in the market to purchase one from you. So I am not trying to throw you in harms away.

Hope were all cool now and tempers have went down;) :D

2000mvpfan
11-18-2009, 11:08 PM
No worries,fellas.Sometimes the worst thing you can do is read the forum while you're at work..if you're having a crap day sometimes it spills over into your posts.
As long as Joba's happy with the bat,all's well that ends well.

Joe

jobathenut
11-18-2009, 11:19 PM
and suave/2000mvpfan/and others-JOBA IS VERY,VERY,VERY HAPPY WITH HIS BAT.:)
No worries,fellas.Sometimes the worst thing you can do is read the forum while you're at work..if you're having a crap day sometimes it spills over into your posts.
As long as Joba's happy with the bat,all's well that ends well.

Joe

jobathenut
11-18-2009, 11:23 PM
SUAVE-ALL IS GOOD.:) If i had better picture skills this would not have even come up.Blame me and not being able to use a digital camera.But like you said it's tough to get a clear picture of the knob of the bat and i just wanted to share the whole bat with everyone on here.
JUST TO CLEAR THE AIR WITH EVERYONE SO THEY CAN UNDERSTAND WHERE I WAS COMING FROM!!!

Again I wasn't questioning the authenticity or raining on anyones parade.

I recently had in my possession which I recently sold a Jason Giambi Game Used Black Louisville Slugger Bat - It had the number 25 written on the knob but was so faded from use it was barley noticeable. So depending on the angle you took the picture with the flash actually drowned out the #25 from being seen. So I had to retake the picture a few times from a different angle to catch the 25 in the picture.

So my although I may not have come across clear was more towards if the flash had blocked out the #25 since I did not see it on the knob. That is all!!

No harm intended and I hope you do enjoy the Giambi bat.

2000mvp yes I do consider you more of an expert in the Giambi bat area and would feel comfortable if I was in the market to purchase one from you. So I am not trying to throw you in harms away.

Hope were all cool now and tempers have went down;) :D

camarokids
11-18-2009, 11:26 PM
CAMAROKIDS-Yeah christmas came early for me i guess.And i just have to say,that i am not a collector or dealer by any means.I have just heard that "grail" comment on here.And have been told it means "your most sought after item".And thats why i termed in that.Sorry if i used it wrong.Man i was just proud and happy to get this bat but you people are turning it ugly.Maybe i should not have shared it with my "freinds" on this forum.As it has suave and 2000mvpfan going at each other and now me getting criticized for using a word wrong.Whats that i am felling,it looks like rain.:confused:

Hey Joba,

You did not use the word wrong, I do not like forums cause people do not know your tone with what you are typing.

I read a few weeks or so ago on guu someone said the grail term was being used too freely. That is what I was trying to say. But also at the same time I was telling you a grail can mean different things to others.

Also was saying all that is important is the YOU are happy with the item.

I apologize if you took my comments out of context. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time or rain on your happy day.

I get happy when I get $20 bat in the mail.

As a matter of fact, I am excited about receiving a Braves Jeff Blauser 1989 Louisville Slugger. I watched him play as a younger person, I remember my dad getting pissed off cause he could not hit worth a crap. I just won the bat on ebay from Mears Auctions. It was only $20.95 plus shipping. But you know what I love the fact that I won the bat and am pumped up about putting it on my wall.

So please do not take what I typed wrong and keep enjoying your new bat!

YOUR bat might be lonely you better go look at it again ;):D.....

Peace and Merry Christmas Early!!!