PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Joe Mauer Jersey

lund6771
11-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Can a Twins Expert comment on this one?...I was looking at some other Twins jerseys from this season and the tagging seems different...any help is appreciated!

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=21612&searchby=3&searchvalue=joe%20mauer&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1

Metsfan808
11-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Can a Twins Expert comment on this one?...I was looking at some other Twins jerseys from this season and the tagging seems different...any help is appreciated!

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=21612&searchby=3&searchvalue=joe%20mauer&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1

I was interested in that jersey and I talked to a Twins jersey collector and he told me to stay away. The main problem with that jersey is the missing strip tag. The Twins use a felt strip tag that has the numer on the jersey, the size and the year. That jersey lack the tag. The tag should read "7 50 04" if it was issued to Mauer that jersey not having the tag is a HUGE red flag as to whether it was ever worn by him.

staindsox
11-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I was interested in that jersey and I talked to a Twins jersey collector and he told me to stay away. The main problem with that jersey is the missing strip tag. The Twins use a felt strip tag that has the numer on the jersey, the size and the year. That jersey lack the tag. The tag should read "7 50 04" if it was issued to Mauer that jersey not having the tag is a HUGE red flag as to whether it was ever worn by him.

I don't have access to my photo files right now, but I don't believe that is correct. The number, size, year is Majestic (2006-current) tagging. For 2004, I believe they used Rawlings and the tagging would be 7-04-1...number, year, set.

Metsfan808
11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't have access to my photo files right now, but I don't believe that is correct. The number, size, year is Majestic (2006-current) tagging. For 2004, I believe they used Rawlings and the tagging would be 7-04-1...number, year, set.

You are correct. I listed the tag for the Majestic.

sox83cubs84
11-18-2009, 03:18 PM
A strip tag with just the year would be an extra jersey. That isn't to say that Mauer DIDN'T wear this jersey, but it would put off some collectors looking for the standard Russell (not Rawlings) strip tag mentioned earlier in this post.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Tay1038
11-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Hope this helps. This is from an authentic jersey worn by Mauer in 2004. Make your own judgement on the one up for auction.

sox83cubs84
11-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Hope this helps. This is from an authentic jersey worn by Mauer in 2004. Make your own judgement on the one up for auction.

More like what I'd expect to see.

Dave M.
Chicago area

JeffB
11-20-2009, 09:43 PM
I have the same issue with not only the Mauer, but the Molitor and Santana jerseys which all have the same "extra jersey" tagging.

One jersey? Maybe. Maybe. All three star players with the same tagging issue all at the same time? No way. Likely all from the same source who supplied them and is responsible for having them customized with players who would likely bring in the most money. I don't buy it for a minute.

Here is the email I sent to Grey Flannel expressing my concerns that all three seem to be reattributed extra jerseys, all lacking the player specific tagging shown above.

Dear GFA,
I have some serious concerns about three of the Twins jerseys in your current auction.
The 1997 red Molitor, 2000 blue Santana and 2004 white Mauer all have tagging consistent with team issued jerseys and not the kind of player specific tagging one would expect to find on a jersey originally made for those specific star players.

I find it very suspicious that all three would have the same kind of generic tagging and suspect they all likely originated from the same source, who likely had blank team issued jerseys customized, or stripped team issued jerseys and re-attributed them to star players.

All the game worn Twins jerseys in my collection from those seasons, and those shown in Bill Henderson's MLB style guide (5th edition page 1447) show the tagging to be in the format of player number-year-set number.

One would expect a Mauer to be tagged "7-04-1" or "7-04-2", indicating it was made for and issued to Mauer.

Similarly, the Molitor should be tagged "4-97-1" since the red ones were only worn for two games before being shelved for good.

I'd expect the same for the Santana. If a genuine game worn Santana, it should be tagged "57-00-1"

The only jerseys I've ever seen tagged with the only the year, with all four digits of the year displayed and nothing else, were supplied to the Twins and made up for minor league call ups without knowing who would wear them when produced.

I have never seen any regular member of the Twins roster wear a jersey tagged this way, and find it very suspicious that all three of your Twins jerseys from top of the line, name players lack the standard tagging sequence used by the Twins.

I look forward to your response.

suicide_squeeze
11-20-2009, 10:56 PM
I have the same issue with not only the Mauer, but the Molitor and Santana jerseys which all have the same "extra jersey" tagging.

One jersey? Maybe. Maybe. All three star players with the same tagging issue all at the same time? No way. Likely all from the same source who supplied them and is responsible for having them customized with players who would likely bring in the most money. I don't buy it for a minute.

Here is the email I sent to Grey Flannel expressing my concerns that all three seem to be reattributed extra jerseys, all lacking the player specific tagging shown above.

Dear JeffB,

"It's obvious you're still unemployed."

JeffB
11-20-2009, 11:41 PM
And that's supposed to mean what?