PDA

View Full Version : is there any shame owning a game issued instead of game used?

yankees24
11-18-2009, 02:18 PM
for one of my favorite players, they had available both a game issued and game used jersey. I couldn't afford the used so I reluctantly settled for the issued, is there anything wrong with having a game issued piece?

suave1477
11-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Nothing wrong with it at all.

The item was still intended for that player.

Whether just manufactured specifically for that player or sat in his locker and they never got a chance to use it. It is still linked to that player.

Sometimes you may have a particular collection and you need a specific piece yet that one piece is so rare chances of you finding another is slim to none.
Nothing wrong with filling in the void with an issued item.

This is just my 2 cents.

cjclong
11-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Nothing wrong with it at all. I have one of the replica Babe Ruth bats that Louisville Slugger sells. I'd love to have a Ruth game used bat, and if I ever win the lottery I may get one. Until then the replica is the best I can do.

brianborsch
11-18-2009, 02:43 PM
I agree. No shame at all! In fact, game issued items is what I primarily collect. I love game issued bats because of the fact that they were made for a specific player's use. That makes them a special item. I stay away from game used because there are alot of fakes out there, and outside of a photomatch, you have to speculate to some degree.

IMO It minimizes the risk of being mistaken fro what you have. That gives me more peace of mind in collecting. Plus I like a cleaner look as well.

sox83cubs84
11-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Agreed. At times, budgetary concerns or scarcity or uncertainty about items advertised as GU/GW can make this a viable and decent option. I'd rather have a game-issued piece of a favorite than have nothing. Same goes for cost...a GI Sandberg would be affordable for me...A GU Ryno would not.

Dave M.
Chicago area

mbenga28
11-18-2009, 03:04 PM
regarding uncertainty if an item was really game used, can't the same be said of an issued item - for example someone could just take a blank team jersey with the same sizing for that player and customize it with their name and number and say it was issued when it was never intended or near the player for use.

Jags Fan Dan
11-18-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree, no shame in it. I have Jimmy Smith's back-up (issued) Pro Bowl jersey from 1999 and Brunell's from 2000, and I think it they are as cool as just about any game used stuff I have.

hiflyer56
11-18-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't see anything wrong w/ it under one circumstance. Ex: You cant afford the $8,500 Adrian Peterson game worn jersey from JO. Instead you buy the $2,000 issued jersey. When your spending that type of money for an issued jersey, there's something wrong w/ that. Just my thoughts.

ned flanders
11-18-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't see anything wrong w/ it under one circumstance. Ex: You cant afford the $8,500 Adrian Peterson game worn jersey from JO. Instead you buy the $2,000 issued jersey. When your spending that type of money for an issued jersey, there's something wrong w/ that. Just my thoughts.

I agree, nothing wrong with it at all. JO was at the CSA last year in Chantilly, Va and had an Adrian Peterson THROWBACK game issued I seriously considered buying for A VERY GOOD PRICE - Much less then $2k. I am still kicking myself for not buying it.

coxfan
11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Collectors are individualists, and that's the way it should be. The value of any item is just what it means to that collector. It may mean something totally different to the next guy, but that's his business.

This discussion reminds me of the small-town culture I grew up in in the 1950's. Back then you couldn't walk for exercise, for fear that people would gossip that you couldn't afford to drive your car or keep it in good condition! If a family ate in a local restaurant, people would gossip that the wife was a bad or lazy cook, etc. Small-town culture left little room for just being yourself; you had to meet all sorts of arbitrary social standards.

These days, individuality is more acceptable, and that's the way it should be.

legaleagle92481
11-19-2009, 10:39 AM
It is your collection, collect what makes you happy and don't worry about what others think. To afford alot of game used stuff out there today you have to be rich and game issued is the next best thing at a fraction of the price. And from an investment perspective none of this stuff is a great investment anyway. The people making the profit off of it are JO, Steiner, MeiGray, the charties that receive the money from NFL Auctions, etc. and not the collector. Even the riskiest stuff that worn by rookies and young players is through the roof. If you spend 25k on a Favre jersey most likely you will never see most of that money ever again.

yankees24
11-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Thank you all for your perspectives, I had a good read. I just feel that the game issued is not the cream of the crop when it comes to our hobby. It serves as the lesser, more inferior piece to a game used. It's like coming in second place.

suave1477
11-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Thank you all for your perspectives, I had a good read. I just feel that the game issued is not the cream of the crop when it comes to our hobby. It serves as the lesser, more inferior piece to a game used. It's like coming in second place.

I agree with you a 100% of course it is the inferior part in a collection, the whole point to the Game Used Hobby is hence GAME USED.

But the point I think we are all making is (using your comparison) it's nice to have a close second place item in your collection than nothing at all. Especially if it is from your favorite player or team.

GarkoCollector
11-19-2009, 02:25 PM
I guess I'm the odd one out here. As far as I am concerned, if its not game used, it might as well be off the rack at a store. The whole point of game used, at least from my perspective, is that it has a tie to a player, a game, a season. Just because the jersey is issued to a player, I feel like its not really theirs unless they have worn it. A glove isnt worth having unless ts game used.

I truly understand the financial aspect of this, and fortunately, the player I collect can have items available to me for a few hundred dollars at most. If the items were more expensive, I still think I would rather hold out to have a game worn item than settle for anything, even if I had to pass up on a couple of smaller game used to be able to afford it.

halzeus
11-19-2009, 03:01 PM
I think game used items have the highest priority for me, but I also enjoy finding a nice team issued item as well.

Unlike many, I'm not collecting items from one player, I collect University of Michigan football items.

If I can get a game used jersey or helmet, I'm estatic. However getting a team issued jersey is also exciting because it is associated with the team.

So I have some of both in my collection and hope to add many more in the future.

brianborsch
11-19-2009, 03:18 PM
I disagree in regard to bats. In most cases, the players will select certain makes and models of bats and have bats made with certain traits relative to that player. So to me game issued bats do have a tie to the player. More so than a game issued jersey, since in a lot of cases the player is ordering the bat directly.

Of course game used is more of a tie to the player. My reasons for going game issued over game used:

1) No guessing games as to what it is or if it was used by the player
2) Its cheaper
3) Its cleaner looking

Hell, I think they are more rare than game used. Sometimes you canh't even find a game issued bat when there are 100's of game used ones out there.

yankees24
04-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm not starting another thread on this but if you had the choice of purchasing a future hall of fame player's game issued jersey or an above average bordeline superstar game used jersey, which would you prefer?

legaleagle92481
04-12-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm not starting another thread on this but if you had the choice of purchasing a future hall of fame player's game issued jersey or an above average bordeline superstar game used jersey, which would you prefer?

Neither I would save until I could get the gu one of the hofer because I do not like to collect guys below that standard as a personal prefereance, unless I really like the above average player then I would pick up his GU item. When a item is gu the player used it to accumulate stats which for hof caliber players is historic. To have a bat that Jim Thome or Arod used to hit a home run or that Jeter used to get a basehit or a jersey that Peyton threw a touchdown in. And stats aside the fact that the player wore it in competition even if he went o for 4 that day or did not throw a td. And to be able to see in photos the player using or wearing YOUR item is a cool thing.

allstarsplus
04-12-2010, 03:03 PM
I disagree in regard to bats. In most cases, the players will select certain makes and models of bats and have bats made with certain traits relative to that player. So to me game issued bats do have a tie to the player. More so than a game issued jersey, since in a lot of cases the player is ordering the bat directly.

Of course game used is more of a tie to the player. My reasons for going game issued over game used:

2) Its cheaper
3) Its cleaner looking

Hell, I think they are more rare than game used. Sometimes you canh't even find a game issued bat when there are 100's of game used ones out there.

Brian - You definitely have a great collection of game issued bats. Like you said, they are tough to get if you are collecting the same brand/style that a player predominantly uses.

yankeesjetsfan
04-12-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't mind owing game issued stuff. The only bat I have is a Game Issued Jorge Posada and it was a gift. It means a lot to me that I own something that Posada ordered and probably handled as the handle is taped up.

I collect Mark Teixiera, Tino Martinez, Martin Brodeur, Yankees and Devils. I'm not rich and most of the game used stuff I want, I can't afford. I'm perfectly happy with owning a game issued item. If I could get a bat at an affordable price, I'd jump on it. But I'd settle for a Game issued bat.

mariner_gamers
04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
There is one instance game issued items really stand out to me and that is for a signing. I have been able to pick up reasonably priced game issued bats and then gotten them signed. Yes, game used is my preference, however, game issued for a signing outshines the standard 16x20, generic bat, jersey etc that most folks get graphed.

Copa
04-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Looking at these responses, I think my opinion is in the majority...as much as I would love to own game worn/used stuff over issued, I just don't have the money to spend on them!

One of the most prized pieces of my collection is a game-issued Mike Modano jersey, prepared for the home game he would have scored his 503rd goal, making him the highest-scoring American-born player in NHL history...since he scored the goal in Nashville, the home jersey wasn't used, but the equipment manager had written 503 on the fight strap, indicating when the jersey was to be used...Modano has long been my favorite player and this is the closest I'll ever come to owning such a significant piece of American hockey history.

camarokids
04-12-2010, 05:27 PM

2) Its cheaper
3) Its cleaner looking

A bat is a bat is a bat. I have never seen a fake game used bat!

Do your homework and you will be fine.

There have been issues with bats being doctored.

I did read about a Cal Ripken Jr bat that had the 125 underline filled in, but that is a doctored bat.

For the majority of players, minus superstars. Buying a doctored bat is a non-issue.

With most of the big name players whoring their equipment, authenticity can be a breeze with buying their stuff.

To each collector their own. But a game used bat is where it is at!

An issued bat may have never even touched the said players hands.

I think you would have to speculate much more where the bat came form it is not used. If it used, you can check the ends for writing and compare to other know examples. You can check use characteristics with pics found on gettyimages.com etc......

If I were collecting coins I would want an unused coin as issued, but of course we are talking baseball bats.

legaleagle92481
04-12-2010, 07:21 PM
A bat is a bat is a bat. I have never seen a fake game used bat!

Do your homework and you will be fine.

There have been issues with bats being doctored.

I did read about a Cal Ripken Jr bat that had the 125 underline filled in, but that is a doctored bat.

For the majority of players, minus superstars. Buying a doctored bat is a non-issue.

With most of the big name players whoring their equipment, authenticity can be a breeze with buying their stuff.

To each collector their own. But a game used bat is where it is at!

An issued bat may have never even touched the said players hands.

I think you would have to speculate much more where the bat came form it is not used. If it used, you can check the ends for writing and compare to other know examples. You can check use characteristics with pics found on gettyimages.com etc......

If I were collecting coins I would want an unused coin as issued, but of course we are talking baseball bats.

nice post. and the prices really are not all that much different. for even most of the best current players a gu bat goes for only a few hundred, a gi one does not go for all that much less. obviously with jerseys the difference can be 1,000s but the bat market overall is very reasonable.

mbenga28
04-13-2010, 08:30 AM
game issued is fine, but who in their logic sense would pay this amount for an issued?

http://www.steinersports.com/derek-jeter-2-2009-yankees-game-issued-road-gray-jersey-w/-inaugural-season-patch

brianborsch
04-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Camaro,

While it is true that with a game issued bat it may have never reached a player's hands, the fact that it was made to the specs and intended for that player is enough connection for me to make the bat important and collectible. Even with a game used bat, it may have never reached the said player's hands either.

But to each his own. I like the clean look of a game issued bat and the fact that they could be cheaper, and less desirable. It means there will be more for me!

brianborsch
04-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Except that Jeter jersey is ridiculous!

BULBUS
04-13-2010, 08:50 AM
game issued is fine, but who in their logic sense would pay this amount for an issued?

http://www.steinersports.com/derek-jeter-2-2009-yankees-game-issued-road-gray-jersey-w/-inaugural-season-patch

mbenga, the jeter jersey pictured has a world series patch on it. maybe the jersey was used during the regular season and then the patch was added and they called it "issued"? 2k would be a steal :D

mbenga28
04-13-2010, 09:17 AM
mbenga, the jeter jersey pictured has a world series patch on it. maybe the jersey was used during the regular season and then the patch was added and they called it "issued"? 2k would be a steal :D

after what happened with your Mitre jersey, perhaps! :D

tigerdale
04-13-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't think there is any shame at all in collecting issued. I like both the used & issued myself. Hopefully we all collect because we love this hobby & enjoy the items we have. If it makes you/us happy, than thats what its all about. I have some used items that I feel are just awesome...but also have issued which I feel the same about. For instance, some of my world series bats...to me , they're rare in itself, many are probably never used in game play. When you find one of these, issued or used, from your favorite player or team.....wow!!

camarokids
04-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Camaro,

While it is true that with a game issued bat it may have never reached a player's hands, the fact that it was made to the specs and intended for that player is enough connection for me to make the bat important and collectible. Even with a game used bat, it may have never reached the said player's hands either.

But to each his own. I like the clean look of a game issued bat and the fact that they could be cheaper, and less desirable. It means there will be more for me!

Brian,

I am not knocking u for collecting unused bats. If u are happy that is all that matters.

I listed a few ways for you to be more comfortable buying used bats. There are always uncracked bats that usually have less use and still have a nice look that u like. There are a few members here who only collect uncracked bats.

If the writing on the knob is that players uni # you can be pretty confident that they used it. For example, on the Devil Rays, two of the stars were McGriff & Boggs.

Both wrote their uni # in a certain writing. Based on that and use characteristics, you can be pretty certain they used the bat.

Now back to unused. I have a few bats in my collection that were numbered on the ends but not used. I have a Greg Vaughn that is numbered and the knob is taped. Has rack marks. But I cannot find any ball marks. Still I nice bat. Like Dale says about WS bats, you usually only find them in unused condition. Reason the player will keep the used one and give away the other. Players usually get two bats. More recently they receive more bats than that.

I just think you should venture into game used of the players you like. You will be surprised how easy it is to do. Plus you have a great tool to use for help, right here at GUU!

panthrotc
04-13-2010, 03:57 PM
great thread. we all would like to own a game used instead of game issued. But sometimes we cant.

For example, here is a 1998 game ISSUED McGwire Jersey. It signed and inscribed "70HRS98". When did you ever see a Game used mac jersey from 98 that is auto'd have that inscription?? prolly never. But yea i wish it was used, but it is still a rare peice nontheless, and it prolly did hang in his locker but he never wore. We cant buy everything, but sometimes the 2nd place item is better then nothing

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mcgwire019.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mcgwire018.jpg

LastingsMilledge85
04-13-2010, 11:20 PM
There definitely no "shame" in it because this should be a "fun" hobby. I just think issued jerseys are a waste of money if it's more than an authentic because they really are the same thing. Maybe if alterations are made for that specific player, than there is some leeway with me thinking is worth what is spent. But, it's your dime so who cares how you spend it. Have fun with it, issued or used.

mbenga28
04-14-2010, 07:21 AM
mbenga, the jeter jersey pictured has a world series patch on it.

not anymore, me thinks someone from Steiner peruses the forums.

coffeebeanjoe
09-24-2011, 12:39 AM
No. Why would there be any shame? I have an entire 1990 Joe Montana team issued uniform framed at home. Red Wilson jersey, tan Wilson pants, striped game socks (last year they wore them) and Easton sweat bands. Joe never wore them, but one look and you can tell it's from the team. It has no letter, but since I aquired it in person, I know it's real. It means as much to me as anything in my collection.

solarlottry
09-24-2011, 01:10 AM
No. Why would there be any shame? I have an entire 1990 Joe Montana team issued uniform framed at home. Red Wilson jersey, tan Wilson pants, striped game socks (last year they wore them) and Easton sweat bands. Joe never wore them, but one look and you can tell it's from the team. It has no letter, but since I aquired it in person, I know it's real. It means as much to me as anything in my collection.

coffeebeanjoe- Hi! Ed Cooper (Coop) from SF gave me your email a while back and said that it was OK to email you about questions I had regarding the style and font of 80s 49ers gamers. I tried but it bounced back. Could you please email me at garciajones@yahoo.com. Thanks much.

Coop and I are good friends and he has a GREAT collection of vintage 49ers gamers. He was very complimentary of yours as well. It would be great to be able to get in touch with you to exchange info about what both of our collections are like.

Thanks much
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

island_style
09-24-2011, 05:00 AM
I collect items of Onan Masaoka (Dodgers pitcher, 1999-2001) and have some of his game used jerseys. He was traded mid-season to the White Sox organization and added to their 40-man roster, but never made the parent club. I was able to obtain a White Sox game issued road jersey. Although it's not game used the jersey is an important piece in my Masaoka collection.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Shipp_96
09-24-2011, 10:50 AM
I tend to only buy used, but I agree if I can get a player I love and the only one available from that team is issued, I'm buying it.

I did that with a Bobby Engram Chiefs jersey (bought directly from the team). He only played a handful of games with KC, so it is probably as close as I was going to get. It also has the AFL patch on it, so that was a bonus for me. The sleeves are cuffed the same as they are on his Seahawks game worn jerseys, and it has a custom cut as well (just not as short as his gamers).

I see no shame in that.