PDA

View Full Version : Rickey Henderson Jerseys

GrndSlm
11-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I have been asked to post some pics of my Rickey jerseys. Please do not inquire as these jerseys are already spoken for.

thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

CollectGU
11-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Juan,

It could be the camera angle, but the embroidery in the collar on the Yankees Wilson jersey doesn't look correct to me?

Anyone else have examples of Wilson embroidery from 85 to comapre this to?

Dave

kingjammy24
11-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Anyone else have examples of Wilson embroidery from 85 to comapre this to?

Dave

'85 yankees shirts:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4704/throwbacks.jpg

rudy.

CollectGU
11-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks Rudy..It doesn't appear to match....Juan, have you ever looked closely at the thread in the collar of the Henderson to see if he collar was opened up?

Dave

STLHAMMER32
11-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Does not look right to me, the font is not right imo.

cohibasmoker
11-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Is the NIC actually two (2) pieces?

sox83cubs84
11-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Juan:

As far as that Henderson goes, that is the only one of that style I have ever seen that had Sand-Knit tags in it. Sportscentury asked me to look at it in the 1990s. I rejected it then and would do the same today. Every 1982 home A's I have been comfortable with was made by Wilson, not Sand-Knit.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Danny899
11-18-2009, 10:45 PM
If it's of any help, I have a few Henderson Yankee jerseys. (from 87) The home and away jerseys feature more of a straight across stitching of the name, year and set in the collar. The font is somewhat similar to mine with few differences. (The "H" being most previlant) On my Wilson tags there are additionally a size flag tag and a tapered flag tag. Each jersey includes a straight across hem at the bottom of the jersey shortening it. Lastly the 82 I had of Dick Dobbins origin of the same style was if I'm not mistaken a Wilson size 42 which had crudely been sheared across the bottom. (A common, but not absolute trait on Henderson button down jerseys as seen with the Yanks jerseys which were hemmed.) Anyway, far be it fom me to determine the authenticity of his pictured jerseys. I would follow the Yellow Brick Road and ask the Wizard (Dave Miedema) about your jerseys there. His opinion is gold.

suicide_squeeze
11-19-2009, 12:15 AM
If it's of any help, I have a few Henderson Yankee jerseys. (from 87) The home and away jerseys feature more of a straight across stitching of the name, year and set in the collar. The font is somewhat similar to mine with few differences. (The "H" being most previlant) On my Wilson tags there are additionally a size flag tag and a tapered flag tag. Each jersey includes a straight across hem at the bottom of the jersey shortening it. Lastly the 82 I had of Dick Dobbins origin of the same style was if I'm not mistaken a Wilson size 42 which had crudely been sheared across the bottom. (A common, but not absolute trait on Henderson button down jerseys as seen with the Yanks jerseys which were hemmed.) Anyway, far be it fom me to determine the authenticity of his pictured jerseys. I would follow the Yellow Brick Road and ask the Wizard (Dave Miedema) about your jerseys there. His opinion is gold.

Hey Danny,

Would it be too much trouble for you to maybe POST a picture or two of your name tags for everone who is interested here?

Just a thought there, champ.

Danny899
11-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Hey Danny,

Would it be too much trouble for you to maybe POST a picture or two of your name tags for everone who is interested here?

Just a thought there, champ.

I'll give it a try. What do you do with them when they under "My Documents" How go you get them to here? Sorry, not a pc guy.

Danny899
11-19-2009, 12:40 AM
I'll give it a try. What do you do with them when they under "My Documents" How go you get them to here? Sorry, not a pc guy.

Your file of 1.38 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 585.9 KB for this filetype.

kylehess10
11-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Your file of 1.38 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 585.9 KB for this filetype.

Try uploading to tinypic first (tinypic.com), since you can resize your photo before uploading it. Try uploading your image to 800x600. Then it'll give you an "IMG code" after it uploads. Post that code on here for the image to show up.

Danny899
11-19-2009, 01:44 AM
I think I got it, thanks Kyle

GrndSlm
11-19-2009, 12:27 PM
The stitching of the name is identical and there is no evidence of the tag being removed...I trust Grey Flannel authenticity and have never been taken for a ride with any of there pieces. Now, I took this photo 2 years ago before I stored my collection and it seems to have a fold in the jersey label. I will take better pictures and post them next week. Plus, everything that I sell is backed up by ME and this buyer has a LIFETIME guarantee on the piece. I posted this voluntarily because I know and trust the authenticity.

Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

GrndSlm
11-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Here is the Grey Flannel LOA..

kingjammy24
11-19-2009, 01:42 PM
"The stitching of the name is identical.."

come on juan. i know its your jersey and you're a good guy but look at it objectively. nick coppola may be as blind as a bat but you don't have to be. the "r", "o", "n", "8", "5", and "3" is clearly not correct. you could also probably make a decent argument for the "H" and "s".

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/9398/juan2.jpg

the "r": notice the wilson "r" has 2 distinct top points. yours has 1 and the second one just fades downward.

the "o": the loop should slope downwards. yours slopes directly across/horizontally.

the "n": notice how wilson ends off a name; with a noticeably upward stroke. yours just dies in the middle with a big blob in it.

the "8": the top half of your "8" looks filled in. i have seen many 70s and 80s wilson gamers and never seen half of the "8" filled in.

the "5": its just completely wrong. every aspect of it.

the "3": wrong as well.

this isn't an '85 thing or a yankees thing or a henderson thing. it's the standard wilson embroidery font. they used the same font on all of their MLB gamers in the 70s up until 1988 when they switched to a new font. i could show wilson blue jays gamers from the 80s and they'd show the same font as the yankees shirts shown in this thread.

"and there is no evidence of the tag being removed.."

noone mentioned a tag being removed. dave "CollectGU" o'brien said the collar may have been opened up. in order to get the strip tag on there without having the stitching show through the back of the jersey, they'd have to open the white collar lining up from the bottom and sew it through there and then re-attach the white collar lining. here is the area that they'd have to open up and re-sew. it should be sewn via a serged stitch as shown on danny's jersey. wilson used that white collar lining on all of their shirts during that era and the bottom was affixed via a serged stitch. i can show pics of 100 jays wilson gamers and they all have the white collar lining affixed via a serged stitch. check exactly how the bottom of the white collar lining is stitched. the style of the stitching i mean. maybe you can post some closeup pics:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4865/juan1r.jpg

"I trust Grey Flannel authenticity.."

you could fill a book with all of the mistakes GFC has made. at times i seriously wonder if nick coppola is legally blind.

"everything that I sell is backed up by ME and this buyer has a LIFETIME guarantee on the piece."

i think thats phenomenal. really. too bad GFC doesn't have the same policy.

rudy.

Danny899
11-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Rudy,
I've officially become part of your library photo archive? Glad to contribute. I have a Henderson 87 road grey that is tagged the same way only on a grey swatch instead of a white. It's tailored right below the tagging with a straight across hem. I've never seen a Henderson Yanks jersey that wasn't tailored or tapered in some way. Does it mean they don't exist? Of course not. But I've yet to see one. If they do exist they are probably as rare as the 1991 Set 1's are plentiful! I'm sure you can understand the humor in that.
Dan

lon lewis
11-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I couldn't resist commenting on this thread. Rudy is quite correct in his comments on the chainstitching. I have attached a scan of some loose tags from the '80's the teams that these tags were taken from were the Giants, Braves, Cubs, Angels and Phillies most came from pants but the chainstitching is the same . None of these examples look remotely like the Yankees jersey. I do have to correct one small item in Rudys' comments regarding the attachment method for the inside cloth placket area. While he is correct in stating that the edges are serged,( to prevent fraying) the method of attachment is a straight stitch that usually runs in one continuous line from the bottom on one side to the bottom of the other side. There are 2 lines of straight stitching that are approximately 2" apart. The top one closes the collar area and the other is below that and closes the placket area. Also, you could open the top of the collar to install the tags but it's easier to use the bottom on most jerseys especially those jerseys that have some sort of trim in the collar area.

CollectGU
11-19-2009, 10:50 PM
The stitching of the name is identical and there is no evidence of the tag being removed...I trust Grey Flannel authenticity and have never been taken for a ride with any of there pieces. Now, I took this photo 2 years ago before I stored my collection and it seems to have a fold in the jersey label. I will take better pictures and post them next week. Plus, everything that I sell is backed up by ME and this buyer has a LIFETIME guarantee on the piece. I posted this voluntarily because I know and trust the authenticity.

Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

Juan,

Please don't take this personally. I understand it is hard to find out somehting you own is not what is was purported to be. It's happened to all of us. I hope you are able to discuss this with Grey Flannel and it works out for you.

Dave

suicide_squeeze
11-19-2009, 10:59 PM

Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

Juan,

I truly appreciate your honesty and the genuine class you display in your comments about your trust in Grey Flannel.

That said, I also believe that it is the trust of an articulate collector like yourself, displayed in its entirety here by your comments, whereas you have blindly "given" your faith to this auction house even when the evidence is overwhelming they have abused your intellect......that has enabled them to continue on with their charrade of selling what they represent as "authentic" game used memorabilia.

This is, of course, just my opinion, but I am intitled to it. It is my opinion that the Rickey Henderson jersey you purchased/won from GF is 100% garbage. I would strongly urge you to present it back to them, with possibly a copy of the posts right here on this thread, and express to them your concerns raised by the photos Danny, rudy, and Lon Lewis have provided. I an not suggesting that there was any intent to pass along a bad jersey by GF, but it just seems that they once again have issed their opinion on a piece of paper they give out as their "LOA" and they have once again missed the boat on an item. After all, Rich will tell you...."It's just an opinion". I would not feel comfortable having that jersey in my collection.....but that's just me.

Good luck with it.