PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez game-used batting helmet - thoughts/opinions??

nationals2k9
11-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi All,

I posted this helmet a couple nights ago amidst an already crazy November pick-ups thread and didn't get much feedback. The only feedback I did see was in regards to how my photomatch was off... except I wasn't trying to photomatch anything and shouldn't have included pictures from a season other than 1993 when the helmet was made. All I really intended to do was show Manny wearing a similar helmet since I was excited about the find.

What I'm looking for if there are any helmet experts out there is whether this appears to be a legit 1993 game-used helmet. The pictures illustrate a good amount of the use I can see in person, especially on the under side of the visor, but in general it looks a bit more pristine in the photos than it does in person. Even the number '24' decals have some wear but it's tough tio pick up with a camera flash. And if you look back at Getty images and baseball cards from 1993 and even '94, the helmet Manny is using looks very similar.

Please let me know what you think! The former owner had the helmet since the mid-90s and had acquired it as a clubhouse attendant with two different MLB teams. Thanks, Mike

shoremen44
11-18-2009, 09:55 PM
I am far from a batting helmet expert, but I do own a few... I have learned that the dial on this inside doesn't always jive with when the helmet was used... I have seen a few that will have that manufacture date and be used several years beyond.

For your helmet, the use does look really light to me...

in the end you need to be comfortable and happy with it

kingjammy24
11-18-2009, 10:01 PM
from what i gather, the potential issue that some are alluding to is the font of the numbers. on a positive note, the MLB and ABC logos are all on one sticker which i believe is appropo for 1993 (i'm sure its also appropriate for a few other years which doesn't necessarily pinpoint it to being from 1993 only but it being appropriate for 1993, among other years, doesn't hurt things). 1993 was the final year of the uniform design that the indians had used for many years. 1994 saw a redesign. i think you have to find photos from either 1993 or 1992 showing the back of any indians' helmet. you don't need to find pics of manny specifically. you just need to establish the font that the indians used in 1993 or 1992. i say 1992 and not 1994 because in light of the 1994 redesign, i would think that 1992 has a better chance of being indicative of what they wore in 1993 than 1994 does. its not easy to find pics but im sure they're out there. most likely in some 1993 indians programs and yearbooks.
until the number font (and placement) are established i'm not sure what else anyone can say.

rudy.

nationals2k9
11-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks Bert & Rudy...

It REALLY is a nice helmet the more I look at it. Pictures will simply never capture the use I can see in person. Have been looking for 92-93 back of helmet shots and no luck thus far. A lot of 93-94 Manny cards do have VERY similar markings on the front side and visor that make me feel good.

WadeInBmore
11-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Mike...

It might be time to blow the dust off that binder full of baseball cards you've been keeping in your attic (if you haven't already). I've found my Thomas cards to be an even more useful tool then Getty in matching style/object especially when dealing with the older (2004 and earlier) items in your collection!!!

OLDER LOL...<sigh>

wade

nationals2k9
12-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Not that anyone cares, but found a picture from 5/5/93 of the back of Alvaro Espinoza's batting helmet. Manny's helmet is dated just one month prior. The decals look similar.

Also, wanted to illustrate for the heck of it that a lot of pictures of Manny during the '93-94 (Getty, mags, cards) show him wearing a helmet that displays relatively little use. He did only play in 22 games in 1993.