Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattmueller
    • Dec 2007

1996 McGwire Bat - MAC 25 model?

Currently on ebay is a 1996 Rawlings McGwire bat, offered by talkinbaseball. The bat is a MAC 25 model. I have always been of the understanding that the MAC 25 model of bat did not exist until McGwire was in St. Louis (late 1997). This thought is somewhat furthered by Birdbats' webpage where the Jeff's discussions with a Bill Steele indicate that he believes the first couple of Cardinals bat they made for McGwire were still 256 B models.

Any thoughts as to the timeline of the model switch, or the bat linked below would be appreciated. I realize it does not have customary knob markings (number, name and weight written on it), but other thoughts would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
    Matt

email is matmuell at umich.edu
  • Birdbats
    • Nov 2005

Re: 1996 McGwire Bat - MAC 25 model?

Mr. Steele told me he wasn't sure when the first MAC 25 was turned and that Mac's first few Cardinals bats may have been 256B models. To date, I have not come across a Cardinals bat that was anything other than a MAC 25 model; the next 256B Cardinals bat I see will be the first. I'm not versed in Mac's Oakland bats, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think the MAC 25 was being turned when McGwire was in Oakland.
    Jeff Scott
    birdbats@charter.net
    http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• Rboitano
      • Nov 2005

I dont like the pine tar on the bat, looks off to me. I have a 1996 also that is a MAC25 model.

Comment

• panthrotc
        • Dec 2005

i won the bat. 363 aint too bad of a gamble if it turns out to be legit. I still regret not snatching the 96 mac bat that Bobby got a few years back. Ill take pics of the barrell detail when i get. If it is legit im makin progess...

90 signed gamer
        96 signed gamer - jury will see when it comes
        00 signed gamer

and we will attempt to get the 98 gamer signed at spring training. take care guys.

Comment

• mattmueller
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Rboitano
          I dont like the pine tar on the bat, looks off to me. I have a 1996 also that is a MAC25 model.
          Does your 1996 MAC25 have a number on the knob? Also, does it have name/weight written on the knob? The lack of those attributes on the ebay bat (and the light autograph) made me hold off. Just curious when he stopped with the number on the knob.

Matt

Comment

• panthrotc
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by mattmueller
            Does your 1996 MAC25 have a number on the knob? Also, does it have name/weight written on the knob? The lack of those attributes on the ebay bat (and the light autograph) made me hold off. Just curious when he stopped with the number on the knob.

Matt

the weight was not on all of his bats. The weight written was more common with the cardinal years. the bat on ebay has the mac25 and the year and batch number. That is a positive. ill have to see when i have the bat in hand. Bobbys bat had everything except the written weight i believe.

Comment

• cjmedina1
              • Oct 2005

Here are some pics of a recent auction of a 1996 Gamer.. It is also Stamped with MAC 25. I believe Bobby's 1996 Gamer is also stamped the same way.The bat pictured has 33 mcgwire written on the knob which is not present on the Ebay bat... Most bats I've seen either A's or Cardinals bats have the 33 Mcgwire written on the...

What makes Bobby bat different from the on pictured and ebay is the Center ring labeling.. I'm guessing since it was a late batch order they went ahead and sent a 96 bat with a 1997-2001 Rawlings labeling...Bobby please correct me if I'm wrong I'm going off of my memory,So I'm not 100 percent sure... Post some PICS if you can...

I've never seen a Pine Tar Pattern like the one that's on the ebay bat... I'm trying to search the web for pics but no luck.I'll try and Post more info later if I can get more info
              Attached Files

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
                • Sep 2009

The bat on ebay's pinetar was very strange looking....I have yet to see a mcgwire bat look like that. That is ultimately why i decided to not bid on it. I do hope it turns out legit for the buyer.

Comment

• Rboitano
                  • Nov 2005

Heres a photo of my 96
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Rboitano
                    • Nov 2005

Its the third bat down

Comment

• panthrotc
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by cjmedina1
                      Here are some pics of a recent auction of a 1996 Gamer.. It is also Stamped with MAC 25. I believe Bobby's 1996 Gamer is also stamped the same way.The bat pictured has 33 mcgwire written on the knob which is not present on the Ebay bat... Most bats I've seen either A's or Cardinals bats have the 33 Mcgwire written on the...

What makes Bobby bat different from the on pictured and ebay is the Center ring labeling.. I'm guessing since it was a late batch order they went ahead and sent a 96 bat with a 1997-2001 Rawlings labeling...Bobby please correct me if I'm wrong I'm going off of my memory,So I'm not 100 percent sure... Post some PICS if you can...

I've never seen a Pine Tar Pattern like the one that's on the ebay bat... I'm trying to search the web for pics but no luck.I'll try and Post more info later if I can get more info

which auction did this come out of?? And how much did it sell for??

Comment

• Rboitano
                        • Nov 2005

I think that is about current market value, I paid $1100 for my signed 2000 with Cardinals LOA.

Comment

• mattmueller
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by panthrotc
                          the weight was not on all of his bats. The weight written was more common with the cardinal years. the bat on ebay has the mac25 and the year and batch number. That is a positive. ill have to see when i have the bat in hand. Bobbys bat had everything except the written weight i believe.
                          I was under the distinct impression that a hand written name and weight on the knob is a hallmark of a McGwire gamer, A's years as well.

Comment

• MLB_Authentic
                            • Oct 2009

The handwritten name and number on rawlings bats is done at the factory.

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
                              • Sep 2009

Mlb authentic is correct they put the number and name on at the factory....I am not sure if it was on every single one but if memory serves me correct everyone that I knew hands down was authentic did in fact have them on it. In his Oakland days McGwire would often write things to identify his bats on the knob, but this was the exception it was not on every bat.....I have seen MAC, 25 also two-five on his oakland bats. If something is written on a Cardinal gamer you know it was added after McGwire had it or it's not an actual gamer.

Comment

Working...