PDA

View Full Version : Question about current Nfl Auction

NFLELCollector
11-22-2009, 02:37 AM
HOW IS IT THE SAME GUY:

GERRYAC AT GRANITELP.COM

HAS THE TOP BIDS ON

FARVE, MOSS, MANNING AND M. JONES-DREW?????

As far as i can figure out-This guy is the CEO of the GERRY FOUNDATION (Liberty, NY), an Orangization that Provides Grants.

Is this Guy 4 REAL-Or Some BERNIE MADOFF Wanna Be??????
Someone should tell this Guy about JO SPORTS, If you are going to drop 10's of Thousands of $$$$ on Jerseys, Might as well Support a Small Business instead of the MULTI-BILLION $$$$ Monoply that is the NFL!

Just My 2 Cents-But Something smells Fishy at NFL AUCTIONS!

mfsquirrelmaster
11-22-2009, 03:26 AM
I could be wrong but I know alot of the auctions that the different leagues have the proceeds go to charity. I'm sure this is the case with the current NFL auctions.

jhunt28
11-22-2009, 09:26 AM
HOW IS IT THE SAME GUY:

GERRYAC AT GRANITELP.COM

HAS THE TOP BIDS ON

As far as i can figure out-This guy is the CEO of the GERRY FOUNDATION (Liberty, NY), an Orangization that Provides Grants.

Someone should tell this Guy about JO SPORTS, If you are going to drop 10's of Thousands of $$$$ on Jerseys, Might as well Support a Small Business instead of the MULTI-BILLION $$$$ Monoply that is the NFL!

What's wrong with someone who has money, and obviously plenty of it, to be bidding on items where 100% of the proceeds go to Breast Cancer Awareness, and NFL Charities??? Perhaps this person will take advantage of the tax implications of their donations? Perhaps he would like to see some money go to a good cause, rather than a small business?? You cannot tell people what to do with their money, that's the bottom line. And this person has never placed a bid yet on the Manning jersey, but that doesn't mean he won't going forward. You need people like this to make the world go 'round...pumping money into charities and the economy is a healthy thing, I don't think he should be chastised for it.

jhunt28
11-22-2009, 09:49 AM
HOW IS IT THE SAME GUY:

GERRYAC AT GRANITELP.COM

HAS THE TOP BIDS ON

And maybe you should do more than 5 seconds of research...This man founded Cablevision in 1951, and sold it to Time Warner in 1996 for $2.7BILLION. This man was a Marine, and most recently founded a research center at Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, among hundreds of other things. So please think before you post next time...Here is a terrific write-up on the man.

http://www.bethelwoodscenter.org/Portals/0/pdf/AlanGerryBio.pdf

NEFAN
11-23-2009, 05:33 AM
If I had that kind of money, that is exactly what I would do with it!!

gingi79
11-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Anyone who donates to Memorial Sloan Kettering is a hero of mine. My dad died of Mesothelioma this past September and I spent the better part of May to August in their fine hospitals. I have no doubt their care and compasion single handedly preserved my father's life for 3 solid months.

Considering the research center Mr. Gerry established is studying how tumors metasticise, which accounts for 90% of all cancer deaths, this guy has certainly earned the right to say "I donated to charity at the office." Yet he bids up these jerseys so thousands of dollars go to Breast Cancer research.

At the risk of offending my fellow collectors, specifically NFL collectors, some jerseys just aren't meant for certain collections. These donations are rewarded with a used shirt. The people who donate are rewarded by helping women not to have to undergo the devestating and defeminizing surgery to lose their breasts. Both my mother and my wife are at risk and if Mr. Gerry is kind enough to give away money to prevent it from happening and that causes someone to not get a smelly used shirt, you'll excuse me while I have Nero tune up his violin......... :rolleyes:

legaleagle92481
11-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Let's be realistic here. The guy is not doing this out of the goodness of his heart, he is a collector just like the rest of us! Otherwise why else would he do it? Some rich people collect art others collect sports stuff. Instead of buying a Monet, he buys a Tomlinson. It is the same thing with Jtnbafan on NBA auctions. These guys want these items and there are not many on the market that are 100% certain legit so when they find them they are willing to pay whatever it takes to obtain them and they are at a level financially where they could careless if they are overpaying and if they will ever recoup their investment. The idea that they bid them up because they want to raise more money for charity is absurd, they bid them up because they want the item! If they wanted to donate to charity they would just write a check. And to those who want him to support small businesses don't worry I am willing to wager that this man has purchased some if not all of the big ticket items that JO has sold lately. (Favre, Peterson, Sanchez, etc.)

Don't get me wrong I am not saying there is anything wrong with what he does. These are luxury items and it is open bidding and if he has the money and wants to spend it on this stuff more power to him. However, I think it is misplaced to praise him for it.

NFLELCollector
11-23-2009, 05:20 PM
WELL PUT-LEGAL EAGLE!

ALSO THIS LITTLE DISCLAIMER PRETTY MUCH SHOOTS DOWN THE ARGUMENT THAT IT IS A TAX WRITE OFF-IT'S NOT!!!!! IT IS JUST GREED NOT PHILANTHROPY!!!!

Please note: No charitable deductions will be offered for the items.

OK WHO WANTS THE FARVE FOR 15K????

AND THE ARGUMENT THAT THESE JERK OFFS WITH TMM (TOO MUCH MONEY) BID EARLY AND BIG, CUZ THEY HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO THEN WATCH AN AUCTION-IS ALL BS!
GERRY WAS OUT BID ON BOTH THE FARVE AND MOSS AND WITHIN 45 MINS-OH WHAT A SURPRISE GERRY IS ONCE AGAIN THE HIGH BIDDER!!!!
DONT THINK FOR A SECOND GERRY IS NOT WATCHIN THE AUCTION!

Blitzmaster
11-23-2009, 05:42 PM
WELL PUT-LEGAL EAGLE!

ALSO THIS LITTLE DISCLAIMER PRETTY MUCH SHOOTS DOWN THE ARGUMENT THAT IT IS A TAX WRITE OFF-IT'S NOT!!!!! IT IS JUST GREED NOT PHILANTHROPY!!!!

AND THE ARGUMENT THAT THESE JERK OFFS WITH TMM (TOO MUCH MONEY) BID EARLY AND BIG, CUZ THEY HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO THEN WATCH AN AUCTION-IS ALL BS!
GERRY WAS OUT BID ON BOTH THE FARVE AND MOSS AND WITHIN 45 MINS-OH WHAT A SURPRISE GERRY IS ONCE AGAIN THE HIGH BIDDER!!!!

Maybe you should invest in something more your speed........
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/10/30/caps_lock_trainer_key.jpg:rolleyes:

gingi79
11-23-2009, 05:52 PM
WELL PUT-LEGAL EAGLE!

You sound very angry and aren't reading other people's posts, just ranting because someone with bigger pockets wants to:

a) Donate to Charity without getting a tax write-off and/or

b) Obtain high end NFL jerseys with the hard earned money he has.

No one said it was a tax write off, just that he was donating large sums of money to a good cause, which is a philanthropic venture. The fact he chooses to spend the money obtaining football jerseys rather than just donating and taking a tax write off to me seems more genuine.

Why do I believe it's a genuine donation more than (just) a collector? How about the millions of dollars he donated to cancer research to date? Pretty ironic that after funding an major institutional study at the 2nd best Cancer Research hospital in the World he suddenly bids huge sums of money for an auction whose proceeds benefit.......cancer research! What a coincidence! How fortunate that he is a huge football jersey collector and in purchasing these shirts, it benefits research on the very diseases he previously spent millions to fight! Such delicious irony.

Far be it from me to pick a fight or slander anyone but your posts, annoyingly written in all capital letters to show your displeasure is rather immature and obnoxious. Whining because you aren't not able to obtain a jersey when losing out on it benefits millions of other people is pretty selfish.

This board just lost a friend in Helen Hanson, a Breast Cancer survivor. I hope Mr. Gerry bids and wins all of these shirts and no one else on this board has to deal with Breast Cancer because of it.

Texans
11-23-2009, 06:49 PM
There are other game used jersey out there. Just buy them instead

Jojo

hiflyer56
11-24-2009, 07:39 AM
just wondering how much did the favre end up going for?

dcgreg25
11-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Favre went for $16,000.00