PDA

View Full Version : SWINGMAN question for BMH

hb125
11-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Brian,

I have a Black C271 Griffey Swingman bat, I dated the bat to 1997/98 based on the label and there are no MLB logos on the barell of the bat , however the bat may date up to the year 2000.

One thing I noticed, S W I N G M A N on the barrel is spaced, unlike most bats I see today where there is not much spacing IE: SWINGMAN, aslo the cupped barell is the only part of the bat that is natural in color.

Do you know if there was an early version of the SWINGMAN bats he first started ordering back when he was a Seattle Mariner.

Thanks,
JT;)

TNTtoys
11-23-2009, 12:19 AM
I had a conversation with a renown bat expert several months ago about a "Swingman" bat that oddly had the word "Swingman" spaced apart unlike any other that I had seen. I wonder if this is the same one. Apart from the spacing of the name, there were other odd characteristics if my memory serves me correctly. Do you have a photo of the bat you can post? Thanks.

BMH
11-24-2009, 12:30 PM
The spacing is from the type of brand used. When he first started getting "Swingman" on his bats we did not have a single brand for it. Each letter was a separate script held in one of our brand holders. Depending on how wide each character was would determine the spacing between letters. Since he ordered "Swingman" alot we had it put on one brand to save set up time and hence the closer spacing.

hb125
12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Brian,

Thanks very much for the info., what year was it when Griffey first started ordering bats with Swingman on them.

JT