PDA

View Full Version : AL MVP award

cjclong
11-23-2009, 03:53 PM
I see that Mauer of Minnesota won the MVP award. I can't really quarrel with it as he had a great season and the Twins made the playoffs. Teixeira finished second and Jeter finished third. Mauer got 27 first place votes and the other one went , not to Teixeira or Jeter but to Miguel Cabrera who I did not know was even on the radar screen. Does anyone think there ought to be two awards, MVP and best player. The question is how someone from a last place team can really be the most valuable player. When ARod won the MVP with the Rangers he may have been the best player in the American League that year but was he the most valuable to his team? If a team finished last or near the bottom with a player they would have finished there without him. However a team that makes the playoffs or goes to the World Series by only a game or two would probably not make it if it wasn't for their top player, their MVP. Does anyone else think there ought to be two different awards?

ironmanfan
11-23-2009, 04:11 PM
I'd like to know who the moron was that gave the sole first place vote to Miguel Cabrera...........

staindsox
11-23-2009, 04:35 PM
I'd like to know who the moron was that gave the sole first place vote to Miguel Cabrera...........

"Cabrera's first-place vote came from Keizo Konishi of Kyodo News, a member of the Seattle chapter."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4682842

BULBUS
11-23-2009, 04:39 PM
From MSN.com:

"Mauer receives a $100,000 bonus for winning the award, and Cabrera gets $200,000 for finishing fourth. Cabrera's first-place vote came from Keizo Konishi of Kyodo News, a member of the Seattle chapter."

Cabrera and Keizo must be buddies :D

ironmanfan
11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
From MSN.com:

Cabrera and Keizo must be buddies :D

probably drinking buddies....:p

sox83cubs84
11-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Glad to see Mauer won. Now I hope he stays with the Twins for a while (unless he comes to the Cubs).:)

Dave M.
Chicago area

suave1477
11-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I am actually shocked at you guys lol:p

But seriously how can you even question Cabrera???

Cabrera totally needed to be included in the MVP voting and im not surprised someone voted for him #1.

I think you guys are missing the bigger picture. Miguel Cabrera was in the middle of one of thee worse line ups this season. He had absolutely no protection this season and still managed to put up MVP numbers.

Miguel Cabrera - 4th place who plays not an easy park and with no protection.
BA .324
HR 34
RBI 103
Hits 198
OBP 394

For comparison
Derek Jeter who was in third place. In a Home Run friendly park. Who hits in front of a bunch of highly paid power hitters
BA. .334
HR. 18
RBI 66
Hits 212
OBP 406

Miguel Cabrera definitely needs to be in the MVP conversation
HR

halzeus
11-24-2009, 02:02 PM

Cabrera totally needed to be included in the MVP voting and im not surprised someone voted for him #1.

I think you guys are missing the bigger picture. Miguel Cabrera was in the middle of one of thee worse line ups this season. He had absolutely no protection this season and still managed to put up MVP numbers.

BA .324
HR 34
RBI 103
Hits 198
OBP 394

For comparison
Derek Jeter who was in third place. In a Home Run friendly park. Who hits in front of a bunch of highly paid power hitters
BA. .334
HR. 18
RBI 66
Hits 212
OBP 406

HR

I agree 100%

STLHAMMER32
11-25-2009, 05:03 AM

BA .324
HR 34
RBI 103
Hits 198
OBP 394

For comparison
BA. .334
HR. 18
RBI 66
Hits 212
OBP 406

HR

Cabrera is a great player, among the games best. He needs to be involved in conversations but when it comes to this MVP voting it was very clear Mauer was the best and he should have received a unanimous selection like Pujols. However there is usually some oddball stat or guy with an agenda who goes against the rest just to do it.This was the easiest year for voting there was no doubt about either player winning the award. It was safe to produce hundrends of MVP 09 items for Pujols and Mauer a month ago.