PDA

View Full Version : A possible "limited edit" feature

sox83cubs84
11-23-2009, 07:37 PM
I have a thought on a function that might be used by the Mods on this site that would allow posters to have a chance to correct spelling or grammar mistakes without leaving open the possibility of slanderous or illegal/immoral posts being cleansed off the site long after the initial posting.

I visit a site called Newsvine which is a discussion site linked up to most articles on MSN. They have a time-limited edit feature which works as follows:

1) I make a post, say, for example, "Sarah Palin is a grat Americn".

2) Notice I misspelled the words "great" and "American".

3) After I hit the post button, the post is kept in a form of a hold box with a clock atop that counts down from 2:00 (2 minutes). Within those 2 minutes, I can edit the post in order to correct my 2 spelling errors. Once the clock runs out, the post is added and can no longer be altered nor removed.

I am not sure if the system the Mods use has the ability to be programmed to accommodate the above, but, if they did, such a feature would solve the frustrations of many members that aren't fluent typists, spellers, or grammarians.

How 'bout it, Forum members. Does this sound good?

And, Mods...are you able to do this withour major diffilculty and/or cost?

The floor is open for discussion.

Dave Miedema
Chicago area

STLHAMMER32
11-23-2009, 07:53 PM
The last time a thread was started concerning a price possibly for classified adds it was "locked" but "our opinions are valued" lol

An edit button would be very useful when listing items that have been sold and updating lists but I think if we would all do some simple reading of our posts before we click submit we could avoid grammer problems. Sometimes things are said in the heat of the moment and I'm sure then people wish they could edit the comment. I am all for an edit button for certain situations such as updates.