PDA

View Full Version : ebay '71 Reggie Jackson

lon lewis
11-25-2009, 03:05 PM
I was asked to comment on this jersey- ebay # 380181437596 - listed as an "all original and unaltered" rare 1971 Reggie Jackson size 44 game used A's jersey with a starting bid of $ 5600.00 Can anyone (besides me) figure out where the wheels really fell of the wagon on this one? This one is so bad that it should be pretty easy for even the most casual observer.

MLB_Authentic
11-25-2009, 03:10 PM
The front numeral should be much lower correct?

lon lewis
11-25-2009, 03:30 PM
MLB, It's easier than that. Here's a hint.

suave1477
11-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Lon just out of curiosity so then what is it really or was it really?

A game issued blank? A retail?

athletics61
11-25-2009, 04:59 PM
All original? The number 9 on both sides are not the number font the A's wore. They were "Red Sox" style.

This shirt could be a recycled jersey poorly made into a Reggie, but I am not sure what size Reggie wore in 1971.

Chime in, Moustache Gang.

Don

lon lewis
11-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Suave, Without seeing the jersey in person it's tough to tell what it was originally. However, my instincts tell me that it was probably number and name changed from another player or coach. Also, if you look at the NOB it's of a diffferent size/style than what was used. You will also note that the inside thread color matches the thread on the incorrect numbers meaning that it was more than likely all done at the same time. The 's on the front is also in the wrong location but that's minor compared to the name and number. Jackson did wear a 44 in the vests- in fact the jersey he mentions in his writeup that was part of the GUU auction is that size What is sort of humorous about his mention of the GUU jersey is that he must of followed the GUU auction without even noticing (or acknowledging) the differences in the two jerseys.

Moustache Gang
11-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Members.

Again Lon is right on point with this one. Let me give you a little bit of history on this jersey. It has been up for auction at least two times. The last time it was up for auction on ebay by Broadway Rick Strike Zone. This was at least six months ago. Believe it or not it came with a MEARS Letter of Authenticity of a score of A-2. Some forum members will remember I sent an email to Troy at MEARS stating four to five reasons why this jersey is a fake and was probably never worn by Reggie. Troy and I went back and forth in emails and his final decision was that he was sticking to his A-2 score. I then emailed Dave Grob explaining to him why I vehemently disagreed with Troy's assessment. Within 45 minutes Dave responded back and totally agreed with my assessment, stating the MEARS had an error in judgement on this flannel. The only problem was that some poor sap bought the jersey from Rick on ebay for over $1,000.00. He probably thouht he got the deal of the year!!! As Lon stated earlier and with my earlier assessment, the font on the number is not even close to what the A's used on the flannels. The tackletwill is actually a polytwill (Lon taught me this years ago) that was not even used until the mid-70s. It is way too shiny and is for the most part a dead giveaway. The font on the flannel is closer to what the A's used in the 80s and 90s and is still not even correct for those years either. I did contact the seller and advise him of the issues with this jersey and he never responded back. If one were to go back in the history files under GUF they would probably find our discussions related to this jersey. I actually observed this jersey years ago at the National in Cleveland. As Lon stated, it is a true A's flannel with a number change and a very poor one at that. If someone is interested in this jersey I would offer a couple of hundred dollars (200.00) and send it to Lon to have it properly stored. With his keen eye he can probably ascertain who really wore the jersey.

Mark

MikeM
11-26-2009, 12:27 AM
I was asked to comment on this jersey- ebay # 380181437596 - listed as an "all original and unaltered" rare 1971 Reggie Jackson size 44 game used A's jersey with a starting bid of $ 5600.00 Can anyone (besides me) figure out where the wheels really fell of the wagon on this one? This one is so bad that it should be pretty easy for even the most casual observer.

Not only is the #9 in the wrong font, by the looks of the photo it's made from an entirely different color twill. Much darker.