PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Believe A Baseball Sold For This Price!

3arod13
11-25-2009, 07:55 PM
I Can't Believe A Baseball Sold For This Price!

Sold for $4,780.00

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=701&Lot_No=19654

godwulf
11-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Even "in this economy" (am I the only one who is really sick of hearing that phrase?) five grand, to some folks, is chump change. If they weren't spending it on a baseball, they'd be dropping that much for a night on the town with friends, or to have their fleet of cars detailed.

dcgreg25
11-25-2009, 08:31 PM
It looks like the auction was back in 2004, a much better time for "the economy" and for Arod....pre recession, pre steroids, etc.. On the flip side it was pre World Series win but I think the first two carry more weight than the WS win. It still may go for that price today but my guess is it might be significantly less.

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 08:36 PM
I Can't Believe A Baseball Sold For This Price!

Sold for $4,780.00

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=701&Lot_No=19654

Tony,

What's up? Looking through old auctions?

In regards to the baseball......."a" baseball..... selling for "this price", are you inferring because it was a grand slam by A-Rod and you feel it was overpriced? Or are you just exasperated in general that a baseball of significance sold for that amount?

I mean.....Babe Ruth's 712th career home run sold for $150,000.

Mark McGwire's 70th home run ball of 2001 sold for $3,000,000.

I am just not quite sure of what you mean here.....please clarify?

Thanks,

Steve

3arod13
11-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Tony,

In regards to the baseball......."a" baseball..... selling for "this price", are you inferring because it was a grand slam by A-Rod and you feel it was overpriced? Or are you just exasperated in general that a baseball of significance sold for that amount?

I mean.....Babe Ruth's 712th career home run sold for $150,000.

Mark McGwire's 70th home run ball of 2001 sold for $3,000,000.

I am just not quite sure of what you mean here.....please clarify?

Thanks,

Steve

That much, even for a grand slam baseball, IMHO is crazy.

Regards, Tony

3arod13
11-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Tony,

Thanks,

Steve

Doing some research on early Arod game used stuff and signatures.

Regards, Tony

suave1477
11-25-2009, 09:20 PM
I am sorry maybe I am alone on this one but I don't think that is a lot at all in all honesty probably even a little under priced.

Alex Rodriguez even with now the roids out in the air is still gonna go down in history as one of the best baseball players ever.

1) A home run hit by him who will most likely join the 600 home run club and possibly the 700 home run club.
2) Also to add a very rare feat of hitting a grand slam.
3) Possible to even break the all time home run record.
4) His Home Run bats sell for that price if not more and this is the actual home run ball.

Underpriced imo!!

worldchamps
11-25-2009, 09:53 PM
A COA from Alex Rodriguez is worth about as much as one from Lou Lampson. IMHO

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 10:04 PM
I am sorry maybe I am alone on this one but I don't think that is a lot at all in all honesty probably even a little under priced.

Alex Rodriguez even with now the roids out in the air is still gonna go down in history as one of the best baseball players ever.

1) A home run hit by him who will most likely join the 600 home run club and possibly the 700 home run club.
2) Also to add a very rare feat of hitting a grand slam.
3) Possible to even break the all time home run record.
4) His Home Run bats sell for that price if not more and this is the actual home run ball.

Underpriced imo!!

Suave,

Nope.....you're not alone at all. I not only agree with you, I guarantee you it's worth more in today's auction house environment.

Tony......that home run ball is worth more than what it went for then....easily.

And that second career Grand Slam ball has a happy home..... ;) . I paid over $6,000 for it 5 years ago. Worth more today? Who cares, I have NO plans on selling it. My guess is it would go for $7-9,000 if I did.....possibly more.

These are little pieces of history....actual pieces that can be identified to an exact moment in time. To collectors that collect them, they are extremely valuable.....and totally cool if you don't mind me saying so myself.

Suave, would you mind telling me what you paid (buyer's premium included....grand total) for your A-Rod 50th home run ball from 2005? I am really interested to know. If you aren't comfy posting it here, would you email me and let me know? email addy below, and thanks. Did you know his 51st home run ball from 2005 was listed on ebay for $8,999.00 a few months back?

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Here's a picture of it I have for inventory reasons....the ball on the right of course....

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Suave,

Nope.....you're not alone at all. I not only agree with you, I guarantee you it's worth more in today's auction house environment.

Tony......that home run ball is worth more than what it went for then....easily.

And that second career Grand Slam ball has a happy home..... ;) . I paid over $6,000 for it 5 years ago. Worth more today? Who cares, I have NO plans on selling it. My guess is it would go for $7-9,000 if I did.....possibly more.

These are little pieces of history....actual pieces that can be identified to an exact moment in time. To collectors that collect them, they are extremely valuable.....and totally cool if you don't mind me saying so myself.

Suave, would you mind telling me what you paid (buyer's premium included....grand total) for your A-Rod 50th home run ball from 2005? I am really interested to know. If you aren't comfy posting it here, would you email me and let me know? email addy below, and thanks. Did you know his 51st home run ball from 2005 was listed on ebay for $8,999.00 a few months back?

Ooops!! Forget something....here ya go: suicide_squeeze@roadrunner.com

(don't forget the underscore between "suicide" and "squeeze")

3arod13
11-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Didn't mean anything negative by it. I just didn't realize baseballs sold for that amount (other than Ruth, etc.)

Regards, Tony

joelsabi
11-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Here's a picture of it I have for inventory reasons....the ball on the right of course....

It's kinda cool that the two baseballs auctioned off that night reside within this forum. if only we could locate the missing baseball as the auction writers wrote. :rolleyes:

3arod13
11-25-2009, 10:17 PM
It's kinda cool that the two baseballs auctioned off that night reside within this forum. if only we could locate the missing baseball as the auction writers wrote. :rolleyes:

???

joelsabi
11-25-2009, 10:21 PM
???

tony,

its kinda interesting if you read the description of the auction. i think it made a difference in which baseball went for more money that particular night.

3arod13
11-25-2009, 10:23 PM
tony,

its kinda interesting if you read the description of the auction. i think it made a difference in which baseball went for more money that particular night.

I have pics of Arod's Grand Slam baseballs #2 and #3. Hope to see #1 some day.

Regards, Tony

joelsabi
11-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Steve,

Just curious. Were you going after both baseballs that night?

suave1477
11-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Suave,

Hello Suicide, no I do not mind telling you but would prefer emailing you.

Just so you are aware mine is his 51st Home Run of the 2007 season.

He did not hit 50 in 2005.

The one I believe you are referring to was his 50th Home Run ball of 2007 on ebay unless there was another.

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Hello Suicide, no I do not mind telling you but would prefer emailing you.

Just so you are aware mine is his 51st Home Run of the 2007 season.

He did not hit 50 in 2005.

The one I believe you are referring to was his 50th Home Run ball of 2007 on ebay unless there was another.

My typo mistake, you are correct.....I meant 2007:o

You own his 50th, correct (from 2007)? The one I saw on ebay was #51 of 2007.

suave1477
11-25-2009, 10:51 PM
My typo mistake, you are correct.....I meant 2007:o

You own his 50th, correct (from 2007)? The one I saw on ebay was #51 of 2007.

No I own #51

The one on ebay was #50

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Steve,

Just curious. Were you going after both baseballs that night?

Joel,

That was one of my "extravagant" auction events....:o

No, I could only go for one. Believe it or not, I do have a budget, more-so today than ever before. And I remember what you were referring to in the auction....

I believe they discussed the fact that THEY BELIEVED Alex Rodriguez's very first career grand slam could have very well been "lost to the ages".....meaning it isn't known where it is, because whomever ended up with it never got the ball back to A-Rod so he could sign it.

So....it most likely is. BUT WE KNOW who has his first grand slam BAT, huh Tony??:)

But that night, I was after a 1969 Home A's vest of Reggie Jackson....his MVP season. I paid handsomely for it.

But the real prize I won, my third and final item, was Willie McCovey's very first major league Home Run ball...auto'd by him...number 1 of his career!!! One of my heart-felt favorite pieces. I just loved Willie, have met him several times, and I am PROUD to own his very first. Tony would have a cardiac right here and now if he knew what I paid for it!

But Tony, if A-Rod's very first Grand Slam ball had been in that same auction, it WOULD have a home.....trust me! I had to settle for number 2 because no one knows where number one is.

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 11:04 PM
No I own #51

The one on ebay was #50

See how ass-backwards I am? Again, you are correct, I just looked it up. My apologies.

I must be getting dyslexic as I get on in my years.....crapola, not even 50 yet. What will I be like in 10-15 more years???

I'll check my email now.....and thanks again.

joelsabi
11-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Joel,

I believe they discussed the fact that THEY BELIEVED Alex Rodriguez's very first career grand slam could have very well been "lost to the ages".....meaning it isn't known where it is, because whomever ended up with it never got the ball back to A-Rod so he could sign it.

Steve

Actually, it went into the left field bullpen and was easily retrieved.

joelsabi
11-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Joel,

No, I could only go for one. Believe it or not, I do have a budget, more-so today than ever before. And I remember what you were referring to in the auction....

So....it most likely is. BUT WE KNOW who has his first grand slam BAT, huh Tony??:)

But that night, I was after a 1969 Home A's vest of Reggie Jackson....his MVP season. I paid handsomely for it.

But the real prize I won, my third and final item, was Willie McCovey's very first major league Home Run ball...auto'd by him...number 1 of his career!!! One of my heart-felt favorite pieces. I just loved Willie, have met him several times, and I am PROUD to own his very first. Tony would have a cardiac right here and now if he knew what I paid for it!

But Tony, if A-Rod's very first Grand Slam ball had been in that same auction, it WOULD have a home.....trust me! I had to settle for number 2 because no one knows where number one is.

Steve,

Very impressive collection. Wonder if you could give your collection on loan to the Los Angeles Sports Museum. Should would like to see the items in your collection closeup.

Wonder if he Cypress, the owner, allows that.

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Steve

Actually, it went into the left field bullpen and was easily retrieved.

Cool....then who's got it??? Maybe A-Rod himself?

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Steve,

Very impressive collection. Wonder if you could give your collection on loan to the Los Angeles Sports Museum. Should would like to see the items in your collection closeup.

Wonder if he Cypress, the owner, allows that.

I doubt it, but you never know. I was actually contemplating selling him my entire collection one night when I was ticked off about this hobby....but I have since come back down to earth.

I have probably paid more for quite a few of the items I have bid on BECAUSE of him.....LOL.

By the way.....how is his "traffic" doing? Last I heard he was only open to groups larger than 15 people at a time, and by appointment only. NOT what he had planned for, I'm sure.:(

joelsabi
11-25-2009, 11:56 PM
I doubt it, but you never know. I was actually contemplating selling him my entire collection one night when I was ticked off about this hobby....but I have since come back down to earth.

I have probably paid more for quite a few of the items I have bid on BECAUSE of him.....LOL.

By the way.....how is his "traffic" doing? Last I heard he was only open to groups larger than 15 people at a time, and by appointment only. NOT what he had planned for, I'm sure.:(

traffic has been terrible as you know. they limited the hours during the summer because of poor attendance. IMO, he needs more focus on Los Angeles sports. The museum has more of a New York focus to it.

suave1477
11-26-2009, 08:35 PM
traffic has been terrible as you know. they limited the hours during the summer because of poor attendance. IMO, he needs more focus on Los Angeles sports. The museum has more of a New York focus to it.

Wow sorry to hear that. They opened up a sports museum here in New York about a year ago. I never got a chance to go, I just always figured a sports museum in New York will be around for a long time what's the rush??? Little did I know, they closed about 4 to 6 months later due to poor attendance.

1) I am not that surprised though as they did NO marketing or advertising for it here in New York. If they did it wasn't in any obvious places for it to be seen by anyone. Such as subways,billboards, etc......
2) To add to that they picked a horrible location for the museum where it doesn't get round the clock traffic.
So I am not a 100% sure how they expected it to succeed.